• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING

The_Falcon

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
In light of everything that's happen in the last few days, I just want to put this http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/nsci-ecsn/index-eng.htm here for those that may be unaware (hopefully give it the widest distribution possible)

If you see something suspicious, let the RCMP know.  Call them 1-800-420-5805 or email NSCI_ECSN@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Some more immediate advice:

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2016/07/17/situational-awareness-in-social-settings/

Situational Awareness in Social Settings
By tacticalprofessor on July 17, 2016

Hey Professor, I’m doing a security gig at [a large function] for an event involving [a number of people]. [Some dignitaries] will probably be there. The night before they want me to give a quick security briefing on awareness and what to do if Big Sarge needs to handle the threat. U got any bullet points or words of wisdom I could share that they will remember?

–A retired Army buddy of mine who now works high end security details

Use the same skills as in any social setting (looking for contacts) with an additional focus. Does someone or something seem out of place? “What’s wrong in my right world?” Have some faith in your intuition.

Practice surveillance detection, especially when leaving. Remember that ordinary crime occurs around events, as well. Identify safe areas along your route in advance. Ask for security assistance if you’re uncomfortable with the situation. Have some faith in your intuition.

Watch for targeting indicators; paralleling, hard focus, forces surrounding, etc.

Stay aware of exit locations. If you will be in a fixed position for a while, e.g., seated at dinner, identify the nearest exit to you, just as on an airliner. Note exits near restrooms immediately upon entering the venue. We tend to be distracted when we need to visit the restroom so it’s best to identify these in advance. Consider non-traditional exits, such as through kitchens or maintenance areas, if necessary.

Beware of the possibility of secondary devices; clear the area completely if there’s an incident. Go back to your hotel or residence immediately, don’t hang around the venue.

Discard unattended drinks. Once it’s been out of your control, get a new one.

If someone makes you feel uncomfortable, don’t ignore it, explore it. Alert others, preferably security, about issues. Have some faith in your intuition.

Increase and decrease awareness as the situation requires. E.g., increase awareness when going to or leaving the venue since there will be less security presence outside. Don’t try to be on ‘red alert’ all the time. It’s neither possible nor mentally healthy.

Ditch high heels if you have to move quickly.

Fleeing is preferable to hiding under a table if an incident involving small arms occurs. Gunshot wounds from a distance tend to be survivable. Close range executions are usually fatal. Determine a nearby point that offers cover or concealment and move quickly to it. Assess the situation and then repeat the process to escape.

Note locations of fire extinguishers. They are useful in case someone is on fire following a bomb and also as an improvised weapon. If you are on fire, drop and roll to put it out before running.

Sidenote on using improvised weapons:
There is no need to challenge or warn an active killer! That is only for TV and the movies.
Get behind him [her], focus your attention on the back of the head and,
without warning, smash it as hard as you can with the fire extinguisher
or whatever you have. Continue to nail them until they stop moving.
Then run away to safety.

If there is an incident, accept being separated from your party. Leaving the area and finding shelter should be your primary emphasis, not looking for others, unless they are small children.

Look for things or people that you may enjoy, as well. The object of terrorism is to change our society for the worse. Don’t let it do that to us.

Here is a PDF of these comments for anyone who would like to use them. Situational Awareness in Social Settings handout

Thucydides said:
Some more immediate advice:

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2016/07/17/situational-awareness-in-social-settings/

I would put these pieces of advice in the 'too little, too late' category, unfortunately.

If you're seriously concerned about safety for a big, important event... don't do it.

Simples.

As for the 'see something, say something' thing: this is largely ineffective and can lead to people putting themselves in danger unnecessarily, or blowing a good intelligence op.

The best solution is a well managed and led national counter-terrorist campaign supported by all the elements of an integrated government response including various surveillance and security assets.

Meanwhile, go about your daily business, use your seat belts, brush twice daily and get lots of sleep.

daftandbarmy said:
If you're seriously concerned about safety for a big, important event... don't do it.

At which point, the terrorists have won.

daftandbarmy said:
The best solution is a well managed and led national counter-terrorist campaign supported by all the elements of an integrated government response including various surveillance and security assets.

Not a lot of help during an actual attack - just like there's never a cop around when you really need one.

What was that line from last century? "The bomber will always get through". At least a few (or shooters, or boxcutter-wielding hijackers, or truck-renters, or...) will.

An armed citizenry is an equally best solution.

In particular, I watched out for nightclubs. They were fun, but blocked exits ( so people can't sneak out without paying their check, or let friends in without paying the cover charge ) and overcrowding were serious concerns.
eg: The Cocoanut Grove Fire in Boston. Completely accidental. Just a greedy owner. "Numerous building code and safety violations."
Killed 492 people (which was 32 more than the building's authorized capacity) and injured hundreds more.

You go into a negligent situation like that now and add an Active Shooter, explosion, fire, ...

Saw this from Homeland Security and FBI,
Law Enforcement Vigilance and Caution Urged during Public and Political Events
https://info.publicintelligence.net/DHS-FBI-LawEnforcementVigilance.pdf

It goes into detail, and is worth a read for anyone interested in the subject.

Loachman said:
What was that line from last century? "The bomber will always get through".

"I think it is well also for the man in the street to realise that there is no power on earth that can protect him from being bombed. Whatever people may tell him, the bomber will always get through. The only defence is in offence, which means that you have to kill more women and children more quickly than the enemy if you want to save yourselves."

Edit to add:

Training children how to triage and treat shooting victims before Paramedics arrive,

New class for city kids: How to survive a shooting
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/new-class-for-city-kids-how-to-survive-a-shooting/2016/07/30/ebd1aaf2-3e29-11e6-84e8-1580c7db5275_story.html

I tell this to my troops all the the time. If they see something that doesn't seem right, they are to report it to the authorities ie police, then tell us what it was that made them suspicious.

2 Aug 2016

Pulse Throws Out Conventional Wisdom In Disaster Planning
http://www.wmfe.org/pulse-throws-out-conventional-wisdom-in-disaster-planning/62519
USA: "Guidelines from the federal government now recommend paramedics strap on bullet proof vests and go in with the SWAT team."

Ballistic PPE ( BPPE ) for Paramedics has been a contentious issue since at least the late 1990's.

Seen these guys? Drop a dime!
https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seeking-info/unknown-individuals-new-york/download.pdf

Attachments

• dime.jpg
    dime.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 196
I'm going to throw this here because this is a case in point.  One of the suspect's siblings noticed her sister was living beyond her means and suspect she had become radicalized, so she alerted authorities.  I remember hearing that there had been arrests in Montreal at the time which were "terror related" but did not hear another peep until I saw this today.  I will add my gratitude to the sister who had the courage to step forward and do the right thing.  That had to be a difficult decision.  BZ  :salute: :salute:

As for the two wannabe's in question.  If convicted, I hope the punishment is more than just a slap on the wrist as we're way too soft on these types.

Bomb-making materials found at teen terror suspect's home, court documents say
Sabrine Djermane's sister tipped off police that she was living beyond her means

Newly released court documents shed light on what raised police suspicions about Sabrine Djermane and El-Mahdi Jamali, the Montrealers who were teenagers when they were charged with several terrorism-related offences in 2015.
The documents show that it was Djermane's sister who tipped off police and that investigators found materials that could be used to make a homemade bomb at Jamali's home.

Full story and photos http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/sabrine-djermane-terrorism-related-offences-1.3987875

Not from Canada, but supporting the same points ...
Security services have prevented 13 potential terror attacks since June 2013, the UK's most senior counter-terrorism police officer has revealed.

Assistant commissioner Mark Rowley also said there were 500 live counter-terror investigations at any time.

He disclosed the figures as he launched an appeal, Action Counters Terrorism, for the public to report suspicions.

Information from the public has helped police in a third of the most high-risk investigations, figures show.

It has also contributed to stopping some of the 13 attacks - a figure one higher than the last update, given in October.

Police have not detailed what the 13 incidents since 2013 were, but a number of them have already been through the courts.

Describing the public's contribution as "extraordinary", Mr Rowley said: "Some of that information is a change in someone's behaviour, some of that's about suspicious activity.

"Sometimes that public information has actually started an investigation.

"Other times it's part way through and it corroborates some things or adds to things we already know." ...

It doesn't matter where you are, you may be able to help -- more here, shared under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. C-42):
A Thunder Bay resident who saw online threats of violence at a U.S. high school called city police who alerted U.S. Homeland Security in time to prevent a potentially violent incident.

Police report that a member of the Criminal Investigations Branch acted on information provided by a local resident regarding “disturbing communications” inside a web-based chat room.

The information indicated that an individual was threatening to commit a violent act at Forest Hills High School in Union County, North Carolina.

The local investigator contacted U.S. Homeland Security which led to the arrest of a Union City teenager and the seizure of a number of weapons.

According to WSOC-TV in Raleigh, the weapons were found in a backpack along with a “hit list” of intended student victims.

Acting on the Homeland Security tip from Thunder Bay, a sheriff’s deputy found several knives, a bottle of flammable liquid, fireworks and a dismantled shotgun shell inside the book bag of a student there, the Union County Sheriff's Office said in a statement Tuesday.One news report said the discovery was made “with minutes to spare.”

Police said the list contained names of multiple individuals and that the school is in the process of notifying everyone identified on the list.

The suspect, whose identity is being withheld because they are under the age of 16, is facing criminal charges, according to police.

Police credited the discovery to “a tip received from a Canadian law enforcement agency concerning chat room discussions where a Forest Hills High School student had threatened to ‘stab several kids at school today,’” the sheriff's office said.

Back