• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I'm looking for an answer on how a torn ligament could effect reapplication

militarygirl88

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey,

I am looking for any answers that could help me determine how a torn ligament could effect reapplying to the military. I tore the ligaments in my ankle in August 2008, however the ER Doctor misdiagnosed it as a regular sprain and didn't take the necessary steps to help me heal it. So, in January 2009 I injured it again, re tearing the ligaments. My doctor has put me through physio for it starting a month after the original injury, since then it hasn't bothered me much. So, I'm basically wondering how it will effect the application process??? Any answers to my question would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

MilitaryGirl88

Well I'm just going to let you know they do some intense training and it could be very stressful to your body and mind so there could be a very good chance of it retarring again during your training, since it was only recent you had this problem. That's my thought anyways..

That's what I had thought. The original injury is almost a year old but I had reinjured it again a couple months ago. I hadn't planned on reapplying until the summer anyways to maybe give it more time to heal, but I'm not sure if that would help any? I'm still doing the physiotherapy for it and it seems to be helping because it doesn't hurt anymore and I don't have any problems walking on it.

MilitaryGirl88

Well if your planning on reapplying in the summer...the best advice I can give you is just keep doing your physio, and when the time come's and you want to apply maybe go to your local CFRC before and ask to talk with the CF medic and talk to him about your situation, he well tell you everything you need to know and if you could make it in with that past injury.

Take a year off.  Military training is hell on healthy joints.  A torn ligament will never be as strong as an uninjured one, take time to heal and build up the supporting muscles.

Ok, I will do that, SoliderInTheMaking, thanks.

Kat: should I be waiting until August 2009, that's a year from the original injury OR waiting until January 2010, that's when I reinjured it.

I'm no doctor, and can't give med advice, but with 35+ years of rugby and soccer injury experience, I've wrecked a few joints.  Ask your doctor if he/she has any input as to when you may be able to give 'er.  I'm not kidding, military life is hard on the body, and you should be at max capacity before you even attempt it.  If you re-injure it in basic, chances are it will be wrecked for good.  I'd take a year from the last time you injured it, and work it hard in physio.

I know the life of a military person is hard, I have 3 brothers in the US military and my father is retired US Navy. But I will make an appointment with my doctor and see what she has to say about it and continue working it in physio. I will also go into the CFRC and speak to a medic there like SoldierInTheMaking suggested. Thank you for your advice, it's greatly appreciated.

MilitaryGirl88

Back