• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I'm looking for some advice on wither or not to sign up.

amusablealias

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm just looking for some friendly advice on wither or not I should sign up to be in the forces.
I've thought of doing it since I was 17 but I also wanted to see where life would take me first.
I'm 19 now I'm 5"10" and 185 lbs.
I was a honors student in high school, I graduated. After I took 1 year of Adventure Tourism and Outdoor Recreation at Lakeland college in AB and decided it wasn't going to get me a career and I'm currently enrolled in Conservation Enforcement Bachelor of applied science in Lethbridge AB currently receiving 90-100's in all classes.
Yet I still have the feeling like I want to try the army.

I have some credit for BMQ I think would make it easier for me.
- The ATOR program I was in certified me in Wilderness advanced first aid and CPR C through Raven Rescue.
- Both the ATOR program and the Conservation enforcement bachelor have mapping, wilderness navigation and aerial photo interpretation so I am familiar with military UTM, declination and the works basically.
-the ATOR program involved several expeditions and survival training (one of my instructors worked with Les Stroud aka Survivorman)
-the ATOR program also utilized the army's express test for a basic requirement for the expeditions, if you didn't pass you didn't go.
-The CE bachelor has a law component and next year I will have a course called patrol procedures.
-I also worked in construction this past summer to pay for college. specifically road milling and paving so I have experience with heavy equipment operation.

However currently from studying and have a small budget and not a lot of free time I've gained a little bit of weight and definitely I'm not as fit as I should be. I maybe get a workout in for a couple hours once a week.

I'm just wondering what any of you who are in the army FT or Reservists think of me joining.
I just like to know what options are there because I've talked to couple of army personal at Calgary stampeded and Edmonton's capital X about it but I've never actually gone to the recruiting center.

Any advice is good advice!

Regards, Amusable

P.S. sorry if this is the wrong forum and if it is Admin or other staff please transfer it to the right one thank you!

amusablealias said:
I'm just looking for some friendly advice on wither or not I should sign up to be in the forces.

You are the only person that can decided wether you should apply or not.

You sound bored.  Jump in for a basic engagement and pad your resume.... All your school  studies are good transferable skills.  Do it while you're still young.
  My best advice is:  If you are thinking or undecided or waiting for that magic light to appear and show the way, do it in the Forces and collecting a pay cheque.  Free education via hard training and for the initial phase no time to be bored.
Only you really know so follow your gut feeling and don't waste too much time as you only go through once.
Dig in

An education is always a good idea both inside the forces and in life. My advice is to finish your eduction that you have already started and then consider what you want to do. In the meantime, consider the reserves while you are in school.

Speak with a recruiter, look at your options and possible career choices that you are interested in with the CF and start the application process, because its a long one. You can always refuse the offer if you realize you don't want this.

I agree with a couple of the other posters - finish your education, then apply.  Do research.  Understand what the commitment means.  You are potentially joining an army.  Drives me crazy that US servicemen and women come here to avoid their commitments, despite the fact they VOLUNTEERED for service. 

Do look at all the career opportunities, there are many.  Apply to positions that will interest you.  And do talk to your recruiters... they will be invaluable sources of information.

Best of luck to you!

Back