• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Image of RMC in the eyes of CF members

HYBRID said:
Having read everyones thoughts and opinions I will get straight to my point/question:
                  Should I go to RMC or CIVY U?        And this is my background...

1)  Currently a Corporal with 7 years service in the Primary Reserves.
2)  College Diploma in hand and currently working towards degree through RMC via Distance Study. (6 credits completed so far)
3)  I am currently a Commercial Helicopter Pilot working for a company out in BC.
4)  Finally currently on waiting list for CEOTP for pilot occupation but have been contemplating switching to ROTP as the pilot trade under CEOTP may be closing this year

Thats the long story short.  Anybody who has a suggestion or who has been in similiar circumstances PLEASE give me your 2 cents. 
Thanks.

Depends on your academic results and whether or not Civy U will accept your RMC courses.  Might be easier to continue your degree through RMC.  Have you looked at UTPNCM?

HYBRID said:
Having read everyones thoughts and opinions I will get straight to my point/question:
                  Should I go to RMC or CIVY U?        And this is my background...

1)  Currently a Corporal with 7 years service in the Primary Reserves.
2)  College Diploma in hand and currently working towards degree through RMC via Distance Study. (6 credits completed so far)
3)  I am currently a Commercial Helicopter Pilot working for a company out in BC.
4)  Finally currently on waiting list for CEOTP for pilot occupation but have been contemplating switching to ROTP as the pilot trade under CEOTP may be closing this year

That's the long story short.  Anybody who has a suggestion or who has been in similiar circumstances PLEASE give me your 2 cents. 
Thanks.

I guess it would depend on your preference wouldn't it? Your 24, and most of the older cadets here seem to like it less then us younger, more inexperience, more naive cadets. As a UTPNCM you would be living in town or in a PMQ, you wouldn't be a full part of the cadet wing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure UTPNCMS don't get the RMC post-nominal on their degree because they only have to satisfy the academic pillar, not the other three (athletics, bilingualism and military, although military I suppose is already satisfied if the are CFRing). That is, instead of graduating 2Lt Bloggins B.Sci., R.M.C., you would graduate as just 2Lt Bloggins B.Sci.

Basically, if you actually want to attend RMC  :rofl:, but want a little more freedom, go UTPNCM. If you want to be a part of the cadet wing and all its glory, involved in all aspects of the college and the joy that comes with it :brickwall:, then go ROTP. That's all assuming that you get accepted to RMC, of course.

Actually, I'm not sure if you can go UTPNCM from PRes. All the UTs i've met have been RegF. Can anyone verify/cutmeoffattheknees about that one?

From what I've read here in the forums, your status as a pilot won't mean jack even if you get accepted as a pilot. They'll train you from square one up, so I've heard. Same thing if you get accepted CEOTP, again, so I've heard.

I actually don't know what the CEOTP program is, so I'll stay away from that one.

I am not aware of the university being part of the post-nominals.  If they are, then I have to amend mine.

Anyway, I think you are somewhat correct re: UTPNCM not being "full" RMC in terms of having the scarlets, etc.  I also believe that the actual diploma is different in that vice RMC is says "Canadian Military College" or words to that effect.

That's all I know about it, because I went to The University of Western Ontario as UTPNCM.  By the way, the UWO Mustangs are playing football this weekend, so be sure to watch!

PURPLE AND PROUD, BABY!

The RMC post-nominal is somewhat past its prime - the CFAO (9-48) has not been updated since 1975.

Anyone insecure enough to feel a need to add "RMC" (or any of the other post-nominals listed in 9-48) to their name probably needs sympathy, more than anything else...

dapaterson said:
The RMC post-nominal is somewhat past its prime - the CFAO (9-48) has not been updated since 1975.

Anyone insecure enough to feel a need to add "RMC" (or any of the other post-nominals listed in 9-48) to their name probably needs sympathy, more than anything else...

Actually 11 Mar 83 was the last amendment.

I could have taken a 1000 hour course on anything

I chose RMC War Studies MA night classes from 2002 to 2007

STOP ME BEFORE I WRITE AGAIN!  >:D

Being that I am currently at RMC and am PRes myself (C SCOT R), I can honestly say that I have had very little in the way of trouble with regard to my status as a reservist (was Pte. before I joined RMC through RETP). And I agree that this college operates nothing like the way my unit did, however with respect to the "M" being so small at RMC I think it is more the product of what is required out of the students. When I was told I was going to RMC the recruiter told me that I needed to focus on my studies more then anything else, this is because in order to graduate from this place you can fail PT tests, you can fail your courses during the summer, and not be fully bilingual upon gradutation, and you will still be comissioned as an officer, you just dont get the RMC at the end of your name. Now I have not personally had any problems with any of the componenets thus far,but I can say that when priorities must be made, school always comes first. I'm not sure but this academic attitude might be part of whats playing into the current attitude of cadets from the college.

Back