• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"In demand" and "Accepting Applications"

Proud_Newfoundlander

Inactive
Reaction score
I went to forces.ca, and in the recruiting section the trade I wanted (Infantry) wasn't listed as either "In demand" or in "accepting applications". Does that mean any application  in which infantry is listed as preferred occupation is a waste of time ?

I suggest you call your local RC to find out any if your trade is open first. I find the forces.ca is not really accurate. It shows some trades are "accepting applications" but when you call them they say it's closed.

Donny said:
I suggest you call your local RC to find out any if your trade is open first. I find the forces.ca is not really accurate. It shows some trades are "accepting applications" but when you call them they say it's closed.

Its not a live tracker of what trades are open/closed/etc. Someone has to input the data on the website. Positions open and close probably on an hourly basis depending on who walks in the door at other RCs around the country.

As for picking Infantry.... get in line. They may not even process your application if your only choice is infantry. That being said, don't just pick another trade and hope to switch to Infantry later. If something else catches your eye, go for it, but if you have your heart set on being in the Infantry, be prepared to wait at least a year.

PuckChaser said:
Its not a live tracker of what trades are open/closed/etc. Someone has to input the data on the website. Positions open and close probably on an hourly basis depending on who walks in the door at other RCs around the country.

As for picking Infantry.... get in line. They may not even process your application if your only choice is infantry. That being said, don't just pick another trade and hope to switch to Infantry later. If something else catches your eye, go for it, but if you have your heart set on being in the Infantry, be prepared to wait at least a year.

Well, infantry was the preferred occupation, they ask for three on the application, so I would have filled them all out (all army combat arms). But I thought infantry, with the high turnover rate and being the largest occupation in the Forces would have had some availability. And yes, if infantry wasn't available I was planning on doing something else for 2-3 years then transferring.

In addition to that, is there an average processing time ? or does it vary to wildly to give any decent answer ?

Proud_Newfoundlander said:
Well, infantry was the preferred occupation, they ask for three on the application, so I would have filled them all out (all army combat arms). But I thought infantry, with the high turnover rate and being the largest occupation in the Forces would have had some availability. And yes, if infantry wasn't available I was planning on doing something else for 2-3 years then transferring.

In addition to that, is there an average processing time ? or does it vary to wildly to give any decent answer ?

BEWARE!

"Just transferring" can be a process that itself can take a few years, and the process is a nightmare

That's at least from the people I've seen go through it. Remember that even if you are planning on transferring, you're still going to be pushed through courses and have to qualify for your trade, if you don't really want to be there, that is going to make your life 1000x harder. Also, if you're good, your unit may try to hold on to you, especially if they are hurting for numbers.

Not saying it cannot be done, just saying it's not as simple as it sounds. If you REALLY want to be infantry, I would wait for a spot to open up and apply into it.

Just my  :2c:

Back