• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Incentive Pay Category For Cadets Joining The CF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil Can said:
Ok, I apologize. It's sounds like the rules have changed.
No, it sounds like someone is talking out of something that isn't their mouth again.

So, NSCE has nothing to do with eligibility when it comes to the IPC? Sounds awesome.

Secondly,

The reason why people are experiencing whiney cadets in the Res/Reg is because they were whiney as a cadet and pampered out of their minds. My corps used to have 50 something members up until 2004/2005 (I joined in 2006) and in 2004/2005 one of the other officers split and opened his own corps in another town that did not have an Army cadet corps, only an Air Squadron. They do ridiculous amounts of fund raising and have steak dinners on an exercise, while my corps are setting out hardcore, sleeping under groundsheets and eating from Boil-In-A-Bag (MRE's) and are pampered in ways that I cannot describe.

They've been told that "THIS IS THE WAY THINGS ARE!" and follow those words... but when they move on to the Real Deal like Res or Reg and they're told that they were taught wrong and through a hissy fit:

"BUT CORPORAL YOUR WRONG! A CIC LIEUTENANT TOLD ME THAT IT IS DONE LIKE THIS!?"

and of course you get the response (props to my father :rofl: )

"A CIC Officer, more specifically a Lieutenant has no more rank over a Corporal like myself... don't even try to pull that on me. Do your 25."

There's only a select few that are dedicated cadets, I used to drive an 1 hours and 20 minutes from Canmore into Calgary to attend cadets; but I have since moved back into Calgary. I am very dedicated and would never ever think about going against the word of a member of the PRes or Reg (NCM and Officer alike).

That's why I want to get out of cadets as soon as I can (in the next couple of months here) because of the poor performance that comes out of the majority of cadets these days, regardless of how hard you press them.

Useful skills I'd bring to the PRes as a cadet?

Map and Compass
Dress, Drill, Deportment
Some leadership (Most leadership skills taught to a cadet are semi-useful, some are not - especially in Res/Reg)
Recognition of Rank, Regiment Structure, and Respect for superiors.

That's all I could think of.

It's sad, I know.

Big Beef said:
"BUT CORPORAL YOUR WRONG! A CIC LIEUTENANT TOLD ME THAT IT IS DONE LIKE THIS!?"

That's the wrong answer, obviously.  You do things as instructed in your current unit.  But...

and of course you get the response (props to my father :rofl: )

"A CIC Officer, more specifically a Lieutenant has no more rank over a Corporal like myself... don't even try to pull that on me. Do your 25."

... that's also wrong.  All officers outrank all corporals, regardless of branch, element, or component.

N. McKay said:
That's the wrong answer, obviously.  You do things as instructed in your current unit.  But...

... that's also wrong.  All officers outrank all corporals, regardless of branch, element, or component.

I wasn't using those examples to the literal meaning. I guess you could say I was exaggerating.

I was actually visiting in on a Reserve Unit one time, I guess there was some sort of a course going on - maybe BMQ; and I heard both those lines that I had mentioned said between two people (not exactly like I typed but it was similar). It's odd how people think that just because you were a C/MWO that you know more and know better than a Res/Reg Corporal, it's disgusting.

it happens when a cadet joins the Reserves OR the Regs
It happens when a reservist joins the Regs...
It also happens when a reservist 0r reg retires & joins the Cadet movement....

the same line can be said - for all above categories ..... "I had no idea"

So, I'm kinda still confused about this, but somewhat understand i guess.
I have spent 5 years in RCSCC Iroquois, in Shearwater N.S. I was a Petty Officer 2nd Class, Did 3 Summer Training Camps, 1 of which was 6 weeks, one a  3 week course and the other a 2 week course. I have just enlisted, in the Primary Reserves, have my Medical, Physical, and Interview on the 15th of April. So once I am actually "in" I can be promoted to a Corpral, and get the same pay incentive as a Corpral?(as long as i have the proof of course) Is this correct? and if so, is it right away, or after BMQ/SQ?
Thanks, Densy

densy92 said:
I have spent 5 years in RCSCC Iroquois, in Shearwater N.S. I was a Petty Officer 2nd Class, Did 3 Summer Training Camps, 1 of which was 6 weeks, one a  3 week course and the other a 2 week course. I have just enlisted, in the Primary Reserves, have my Medical, Physical, and Interview on the 15th of April. So once I am actually "in" I can be promoted to a Corpral, and get the same pay incentive as a Corpral?(as long as i have the proof of course) Is this correct? and if so, is it right away, or after BMQ/SQ?
Thanks, Densy

No.  It is not correct.

densy92 said:
Thanks, Densy

NO.

From the first page in this thread, you get 6-months time credit towards promotion.  That means you can have six months knocked off the four years (two years for P Res) required before promotion to Corporal.  That six months comes off the period before your rate of pay as a Private changes to Incentive Pay Category (IPC) 2.

An applicant who has served in the Cadet Forces of Canada may, on the authority of the Commanding Officer of a CFRC, be granted 180 days of Incentive Credit (IC) towards the Pte. IPC 2 pay category provided that the applicant meets both of the following criteria:

Alright, and didnt think what i said was correct. Just making sure.
Thanks, Densy

Densy.... you didn't read the 1st 11 pages of this thread before jumping in - did you ?

geo said:
Densy.... you didn't read the 1st 11 pages of this thread before jumping in - did you ?

Geo,

How about stopping with your UFI posts? They don't add anything to the threads, and are growing tiresome.

Milnet.ca Staff

My Story:

Originally went to St. Catharines to join PRES and I told them to look at this website and they said that the recruiting incentive existed (he didn't know about prior to going to this website).

Now, I am applying in Hamilton for PRES and they say it doesn't exist at all. I can't find any way to show it to them unless they go to this website and when I tried to say about this link they were pretty much said "nope, not listening to you nanananananananana"

To further complicate this I don't have a Service Number from 5 years of Army Cadets. I put the guy head of the cadets at my school as a reference along with the Unit Number for the school and region.

Is there any way I can find a government site that talks about the recruiting incentive for PRES that I can print out and hand to them? Does anyone know? I tried googling the "CFAO 49-5" but no results showed up.

Thanks for your help.

(P.S. I am incredibly sorry if this post is wrong in any way shape or form)

First off, this is an "unofficial" site.

Second, you wouldn't have a service number in cadets.

The CFAO is 49-5 (which is not available off the DWAN but should be available to the CFRC).

It states (in part - emphasis mine):

TIME CREDIT FOR PROMOTION OR SENIORITY GRANTED ON ENROLMENT

3.    On enrolment, re-enrolment or transfer, a member who has had former
service in the Canadian Forces or in a cadet unit, or service with another
country, may be granted a time credit for promotion to Cpl and above, in
accordance with this paragraph and as determined by the enrolment authority
pursuant to 49-11. The time credit or seniority granted shall apply
only to the rank granted on enrolment as follows:

(paras a & b do not apply here)

c.  Former members of cadet instructors list CIL who enroll to the Primary Reserve as NCMs shall be granted time credit or seniority with the approval of CHQ.

d.  Former cadets of any of the Canadian Cadet organizations may be granted time credit for promotion in recognition of qualifications they have obtained prior to enrolment. The amount of credit shall be determined by CHQ.

From CFAO 49-11, you will need a letter regarding your previous cadet service for enrollment authority submission.

PMedMoe said:

Cadets who serve as staff cadets in the summer get a service number (currently, but not necessarily in the distant past).

All cadets now have something called a Cadet Unique Identifier (CUID), which is vaguely similar to a service number.  This started when Fortress (the computer system for cadet pers records) was implemented about five years ago.  Anyone who has been a cadet since that time has had his or her service recorded in Fortress, and his or her old unit could produce a printed copy of that record if asked.  I understand (from the cadet organization side) that recruiting centres will accept this.

However, it would be up to the applicant to provide the record or whatever other proof of service as a cadet is required, so I'm not sure that a staff cadet service number of a CUID would be of any use to the recruiting centre.

Dean 22:
You will only have a service number as a cadet if you were a STAFF cadet at a camp and were paid for being there.

There is no pay incentive for being a cadet, there is however the possibility of a time credit towards the next rank level (up to six months).

Otis said:
Dean 22:
You will only have a service number as a cadet if you were a STAFF cadet at a camp and were paid for being there.

There is no pay incentive for being a cadet, there is however the possibility of a time credit towards the next rank level (up to six months).

I just called RC about a cadet related question, and that is what they told me. If one has done cadets in the last 5 years and applying to the CF two years after leaving cadets, then get time credit of six months towards the next rank. I think the 'pay incentive' is get a pay raise quicker by possibly gaining the new rank quicker.

PMedMoe said:
First off, this is an "unofficial" site.

The CFAO is 49-5 (which is not available off the DWAN but should be available to the CFRC).

It states (in part - emphasis mine):

From CFAO 49-11, you will need a letter regarding your previous cadet service for enrollment authority submission.

I know it's unofficial but I can't find CFAO online. Also, sorry for the confusion what I meant was time credit.

Also, would the head of the cadet unit in the form of a phone call suffice over a letter? I used him as a reference and I was just told by a different RC to just point that out.

Dean22 said:
Also, would the head of the cadet unit in the form of a phone call suffice over a letter?

And suppose you actually gave the phone number of your best friend instead?  A letter is more official and can be placed in your file.  Yes, it too can be forged, as can a phone call be made to an impostor, but it is hard 'evidence' that sits in your file.  It is original, not second hand.  If it is official it is good to have.  If it is fraudulent, then it is positive proof that you are too.

Think about it.

Dean22 said:
I know it's unofficial but I can't find CFAO online. Also, sorry for the confusion what I meant was time credit.

As CFAOs aren't currently available on the Internet, the best source of information that can be had easily is probably Cadet Administrative and Training Order 13-35, available here:  http://www.cadets.ca/support/cato-oaic/admin3.aspx#CATO%2013-35.  CATO 13-35 references CFAO 6-1.  It refers to six months' time credit towards a member's first annual pay increase -- nothing about an early promotion.

Also, would the head of the cadet unit in the form of a phone call suffice over a letter? I used him as a reference and I was just told by a different RC to just point that out.

The CO should be willing to write a memo to the recruiting centre confirming your time as a cadet.  If he or she has your record available it would be about a ten-minute job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back