• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Individual Learning Plans (ILP) [Merged]

Hi there,

I am an Infanteer in the PRes who is going through SQ or BMQ-L at the moment. I know that I can get my University education reimbursed in my final year [I am in my third year now].

However, I want to do flight training towards gaining my Private Pilot's License, or Commercial Pilot's License. I was wondering if that would be reimbursed, considering that the flight school I will be attending is registered under the Private Career Colleges Act 2005?

I realize I would have to fill out an ILP stating why it would be beneficial for myself as an Infanteer to do this training, however I believe with the right words I could make it pass. Yet, is this something one can even get reimbursed?

Thanks for the help, sorry if it is in the wrong forum.

You are usually restricted by the fact that it has to be for a degree or diploma but throw it in and hope for the best.

210.801 - EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT - PRIMARY RESERVE

210.801(1) (Purpose) This instruction sets out the policy for the reimbursement of education expenses for eligible members to obtain a degree or diploma at a university, college or other education institution.

MJP said:
You are usually restricted by the fact that it has to be for a degree or diploma but throw it in and hope for the best.

210.801 - EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT - PRIMARY RESERVE

210.801(1) (Purpose) This instruction sets out the policy for the reimbursement of education expenses for eligible members to obtain a degree or diploma at a university, college or other education institution.

Thank you for the help...I guess I can still try!

Most probably not. What benefit to the CF would be gained by you getting a PPL/CPL?  You would never be employed in your trade where pilot skills would be required.

I worked in the same section as the ILP people last year, shared an office with one of the staff officers who sees ILP applications.

I can't comment specifically about PPL, but they were dealing with another situation (and I forget the details) where an application was denied because it didn't lead to a degree or diploma.  The member's case was very good, but the policy was clear the the program of study has to lead to a degree or diploma.  That critical piece of the CBI wasn't up for interpretation.

Like you said, though, nothing lost in trying.

1. can I view what is left in my ILP online? I have been through emma and it shows what I was allocated for each year, but not how much I actually got or how much is left in my ILP

2. I am interested in pursuing accredation of my military training and experience, but my school (UWO) says essentially to go and do something anatomically unlikely. The PSO office says it should work though. Anyone got any tips on this? i'd love to make my school eat some serious fecal matter after all they've put me through and a few credits seems like a good way to do it.

thanks

Shrek

Shrek1985 said:
I am interested in pursuing accredation of my military training and experience, but my school (UWO) says essentially to go and do something anatomically unlikely. The PSO office says it should work though. Anyone got any tips on this?

The University decides what they are going to accept as a prior learning assessment recognition (PLAR). The PSO has nothing to do with this. If it makes you feel any better, and it will not, I only got 1 year worth of credits at U of T for a 3 year college diploma.

If you disagree with the PLAR assessment, you should follow up through the appeal process at your school.

Well, right now, they want to kick me out for failing two classes, so one appeal at a time, i think. but if i could make this work anything that would get me a degree and out of the school system faster would be a good thing.

It is no uncommon for a university to have the policy that if you are failing your Major, they kick you our for a period of time.

Shrek1985 said:
but if i could make this work anything that would get me a degree and out of the school system faster would be a good thing.

How's about attending, working at, and passing your classes? That got me a degree and out of school pretty expediently.

As for your ILP- I assume this is under the reserve education reimbursement. If you're a full time degree student you'll get up to $2k per year, though if you're punting classes you may not get all of that. Your max entitlement is four individual years of up to $2k each, in the same degree program. You can defer it for a couple years if necessary- I did due to deployment - but you can't piecemeal a maximum $8k over several years as you're sporadically successful.

For PLARs- what aspect of your military service to date do you think should actually get you academic accreditation? It's a ways up the ladder in the infantry before we touch on anything with the kind of skull sweat that should get equivalency. Have you done some OPMEs? ILQ?

Shrek1985 said:
Well, right now, they want to kick me out for failing two classes, so one appeal at a time, i think. but if i could make this work anything that would get me a degree and out of the school system faster would be a good thing.

So you want a school to grant you a degree even though you have proved to them that you cannot meet their standards?

Brihard said:
How's about attending, working at, and passing your classes? That got me a degree and out of school pretty expediently.

For PLARs- what aspect of your military service to date do you think should actually get you academic accreditation? It's a ways up the ladder in the infantry before we touch on anything with the kind of skull sweat that should get equivalency. Have you done some OPMEs? ILQ?

Nobody works harder for less return inside a classroom than I do Brihard. Not everyone is suited to public education and performance at school is no indication of either ability or intelligence.

I don't know though; my MOS is Infantry, not PSO officer, so I buy what they sell me Brihard, since that's their job. Based on your attitude you must have a whole PHD worth just waiting for you cash it in, so why don't you go do that if you're not going to actually be helpful?

AmmoTech90 said:
So you want a school to grant you a degree even though you have proved to them that you cannot meet their standards?

Well, honestly, what I figured was that after a lifetime of school making me miserable, I had finally gotten a break.

I've read and re-read this whole conversation over a few times and I can't help but feel you have a chip on your shoulder about your education.

The point Brihard was making (that you misinterpreted) was: what aspect of your training as a reserve infantry corporal do you think your school should write off as part of your degree? Did your IPSWQ have a PO on Economic Theory from 1800-1900 (for example)?

And what on earth makes you think they owe you a degree? Because that is what it sounds like. No one made you go to university. Maybe you should reassess what you want from higher education and change tack while you still can.

Shrek1985 said:
Nobody works harder for less return inside a classroom than I do Brihard. Not everyone is suited to public education and performance at school is no indication of either ability or intelligence.

I don't know though; my MOS is Infantry, not PSO officer, so I buy what they sell me Brihard, since that's their job. Based on your attitude you must have a whole PHD worth just waiting for you cash it in, so why don't you go do that if you're not going to actually be helpful?

Well, honestly, what I figured was that after a lifetime of school making me miserable, I had finally gotten a break.

Nope, I've just got a bachelor's in basket weaving that I plugged away at around taskings and tour. With my eight and a bit years in the infantry I cannot honestly think of anything I've done military side that I feel deserves academic recognition within the scope of what we find in university. And little of what I've ever done in university has been much help militarily. The best I was ever able to pull off was get a university credit PLARed as an OPME- certainly nothing the other way round. The memorization of laundry lists and the learning by rote that gets you through a PLQ or a DP3 doesn't translate to the pedagogical methods used in higher education. Perhaps given what you've offered about yourself, giving you a reality check on this is as much help as I or anyone else is likely to be on this thread.

Shrek1985 said:
1. can I view what is left in my ILP online? I have been through emma and it shows what I was allocated for each year, but not how much I actually got or how much is left in my ILP

2. I am interested in pursuing accredation of my military training and experience, but my school (UWO) says essentially to go and do something anatomically unlikely. The PSO office says it should work though. Anyone got any tips on this? i'd love to make my school eat some serious fecal matter after all they've put me through and a few credits seems like a good way to do it.

thanks

Shrek

Just to answer your question.  Contact either your ROR RMS Clk or your nearest PSO office.  They will go into ICMS (ILP Claims Management System), see what you were endorsed for in your ILP, see what you have already claimed (if any) and then will be able to tell you what you have left.

Shucks fellas seems like you all need to give your PSO officer and the University of Manitoba a call.

Hint; PLQ=business management.

Also, you might take a look at exactly what kind of things they teach in university these days, never mind the quality. I see courses on management, leadership, logistics, ect. And how about teacher's college? How many courses have you taught on? Mod 1 PLQ; leading people on PT? Crossfit instructor quals? CQC, did you know they accredit martial arts in some places? How about the Raven program? the one for teaching native people army skills, I just bet there is a famil portion which could dovetail as an intro to native studies. Any advanced first aid? Cultural famil courses for OMLT? We have loads of Psyops-trained guys in my outfit now, that could count-as Psychology credit.

How may tours do you have and where? Wanna bet you learned anything about international relations?

Close protection course? I'll be damned if that won't give you a pass on some police studies training at some point.

Those skills are universal. There is no magic behind ivied walls, let me tell you.

it's the university crowd that get's suckered by skills you can pick up in uniform starting with cadets. The military does education better than most schools anyways. What I learned on Mod 2 and as a cadet about teaching made me a better instructor than most of those i found at the front of my classes through highschool and university.

I am interested in ILP and was wondering if anyone on here could tell me more about it?
Is there obligatory service with it? And can I do it while still on my initial contract?
Thanks  :)

You've got it backwards.  You want information on the Regular Force Education Reimbursement Program (Reg F ER).

You submit an ILP (Individual Learning Plan) to seek approval for reimbursement of courses that you will take in the future under Reg F ER.

Be aware that funding is up in the air for next fiscal year - see http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/109469.0.

I am hoping to make the leap to officer at some point in my career. But I am not eager to attend school for four years straight. As I could be working and gaining qualifications in that time. And most schools allow at least 2 years to be transferred over into a undergrad program. So an ILP could work out quite well. As I'm thinking of going to the dark side in 6-8 years. However I think I would like to attend a university for a semester to kickstart my schooling. And I think having that semester and face time with professors would make me a more effective distance learner. And now to near future would be a good time to do it as I don't have much rank so my absence for 4 months won't be as damaging as it would be if I held a higher position in the platoon. Plus we're a peacetime army now, so there is not a huge strain for bodies. Even if I choose not to go officer I think having even some education would help once I become an nco. It will at least help me articulate myself better and probably help with the paperwork. And I do believe once warrants promotion is in sight that some schooling can help. Should I go that far up the ranks.

If its not possible, it's not possible. I have the form from the pso filled out and ready to go up the chain of command. I just want to come in with a clearer idea of what I want/able to do. If it is possible I am willing to pay and or sign more years of my life away.

Back