• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Inf Reservist with BMQ and BMQ-Land switching to Artillery?

scottyg

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there,

So I realized in my situation that the infantry may not be the best fit for me, as I am interested in the artillery. I am just wondering what process I would have to undergo to transfer from my local infantry unit to the local artillery one? As mentioned in the title I have my BMQ and BMQ-Land courses done.

Can anyone think of any roadblocks I may encounter, and will my home unit even allow this to be done since they paid for my training? If it went through, would I be able to parade with the artillery unit before I get my DP1?

Thank you for any help.

If you are looking for an OT/remuster, then you need to read CFAO 49-11.  Your Orderly Room or CofC should be able to get you a copy.

To start, there has to be an open position in the gaining unit, you have to meet the CFAT/medical/etc...same as before.

But, yes it can happen.  Read the CFAO, it details the whole process.

Eye In The Sky said:
If you are looking for an OT/remuster, then you need to read CFAO 49-11.  Your Orderly Room or CofC should be able to get you a copy.

To start, there has to be an open position in the gaining unit, you have to meet the CFAT/medical/etc...same as before.

But, yes it can happen.  Read the CFAO, it details the whole process.

Thank you for the help...it seems weird I have to do the CFAT again, although I do understand the medical and physical tests part. Is there a better time in the year to apply for this, seeing as some units plan their intake in advance, would say January be a better month than September to apply, or is it all relative?
I will try and get my hands of the CFAO in order to understand everything better.

I didn't say you have to redo the CFAT, I said you must meet the CFAT/medical/etc stuff, i.e. entrance/selection criteria for the MOC you would like, same as when you joined you needed to meet the requirements for Infmn.

Best time?  Best asked to someone in your unit perhaps, I don't know what your unit is, what the lay of the land is at your unit, Brigade, etc.

Good luck.

Eye In The Sky said:
I didn't say you have to redo the CFAT, I said you must meet the CFAT/medical/etc stuff, i.e. entrance/selection criteria for the MOC you would like, same as when you joined you needed to meet the requirements for Infmn.

Best time?  Best asked to someone in your unit perhaps, I don't know what your unit is, what the lay of the land is at your unit, Brigade, etc.

Good luck.

Ah that makes more sense! Thanks again.

Just make sure this is what you really want to do before you start talking about an OT. You are too early in your training to really even know what life in the infantry is all about. You may find that in trying to get out of the infantry all you will accomplish is to get labeled as a guy who doesn't want to be there. That is not something that you want your peers/supervisors to think about you if your OT is not accepted. I'm not saying don't go for it just that you should think long and hard about what it is that you don't like about the infantry and really consider if the artillery is all that much better before you take the risk of any potential consequences. 

The infantry and the artillery have much more in common then your might imagine. Both spend significant time in the field, work under demanding circumstances, are required to master a wide range of weapons and require a large degree of physical and emotional strength. What they do in the field may be quite different, although once again there is a fair degree of overlap, but they are not as dissimilar as you might think this early in your career.

Just to give you an example, in the next few months my battery's training calender involves jungle lanes, section attacks, platoon attacks, several small arms weapons ranges, several field exercises where the gunners of the battery will spend significant periods of time on sentry, conducting limited patrols, etc. Gunners are in NO WAY as proficient as the infantry in performing the infantry role but it is something that we spend a fair amount of time working on. There are a whole host of reasons why we do this which I can go into if you are really interested.

Bottom line, just make sure you really understand what you are asking for.

I went throught an OT a few months back. Your BMQ and BMQ-L will transfer over and providing the process is successful, your next career course will be DP1 Arty.

To start the process, you have to inform your chain of command who will inform the orderly room and deal with the paperwork. Once the paperwork is all complete, you will have to undergo a medical evaluation and interview with the brigade PSO. Once you have the PSO's recommendation and providing the gaining unit has room for you, you should have no problems.

Just make sure you're on top of the process and follow up frequently. My process took just over a year from my initial memo.

Back