• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Clarification

scotty8988

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have spent a lot of time on here learning and trying to gather as much information I can about being in the forces in infantry. My boyfriend (we have been common law for 4 years) is all set to join. Just waiting on the final interview and medical. He has been talking to a recruiter for about a year now and the information he has been given doesn't seem correct.

He has been told that after he finishes his bmq and his occupational training he will be coming home and wait to be deployed. From what I have read on this site and on the forces website i don't see that anywhere. He is saying that because he wants to go in for a career in infantry he is different.

From what I have read he will be posted to a base after bmq and occupational training. And live and work on the base until he is needed to be deployed someplace.

Also just for my knowledge can someone clarify when he receives his first posting would I be moving with him? I've read common law and married are pretty much the same with the military.

Thank you in advance.

scotty8988 said:
Also just for my knowledge can someone clarify when he receives his first posting would I be moving with him? I've read common law and married are pretty much the same with the military.

This may help,

Common law spouse: joining/already in (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/25612.100

Common Law 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/117461.0

common law wives/ girlfriends 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/85856.0

Common law quarters 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/56968.0

"Common Law (so easy to search!!!)" < NOT my words.  :)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/30242.0

etc....

With the caveat that I am not a recruiter (Infantry Officer) -

Unless he is joining as a reservist (Part time) - He will complete his BMQ, then complete trades training (usually all in one period of time, but not unheard of for there to be some gaps between training periods if courses don't line up, he gets injured, etc).  Once he has completed his trades training, he will be posted to his first unit (and if you are both common law, you will be eligible to be moved, along with him, to his new unit location AFTER he has completed his training). 

If he is a full time infanteer (Infantry soldier), he will be living near the unit to which he is posted to. (Edmonton, Shilo, Petawawa, Gagetown, or Valcartier).  Usually the first posting will be his only posting until at least his first 3 years are completed, then other opportunities (postings, etc) may come up depending on his career progression.

If you or your husband had any other questions about being in the infantry, feel free to send me a message!

scotty8988 said:
My boyfriend (we have been common law for 4 years)
- that is an interesting comment.  Does he refer to you as girlfriend?  Everyone I have ever known that is/was common law refer to each other as husband and wife so just curious on that one.

scotty8988 said:
He has been talking to a recruiter for about a year now and the information he has been given doesn't seem correct. He has been told that after he finishes his bmq and his occupational training he will be coming home and wait to be deployed.
Or he doesn't understand - after BMQ he will go home but home may not be where you are now. It will most likely be a base somewhere for more training 

scotty8988 said:
. He is saying that because he wants to go in for a career in infantry he is different.
  I will leave that to others to touch other than to say I can't argue.

scotty8988 said:
From what I have read he will be posted to a base after bmq and occupational training. And live and work on the base until he is needed to be deployed someplace.
Unless something has changed - correct.

scotty8988 said:

That will be up to him.  He has to take the steps to identify you as his common-law wife and provide the documentation required.  Then he will be able to move you when he gets his first move.  Note that I say his first move not posting - his first posting could be restricted.

CountDC said:
- that is an interesting comment.  Does he refer to you as girlfriend?  Everyone I have ever known that is/was common law refer to each other as husband and wife so just curious on that one.

Yeah he calls me his girlfriend. We do have plans to get married but now with the military that's being put on hold for a while. Technically by being common law for so long we know we are husband and wife but we don't use those terms, not sure why.

Thank you for your response. I am excited for him to be getting this opportunity. He hasn't received a job offer yet but is very close, and I want to be as educated as I can with this process. I know we wont be able to control what the military decides to do with him, but I like having some knowledge about possible scenarios for our upcoming military life.

Ayrsayle said:
If he is a full time infanteer (Infantry soldier), he will be living near the unit to which he is posted to. (Edmonton, Shilo, Petawawa, Gagetown, or Valcartier).  Usually the first posting will be his only posting until at least his first 3 years are completed, then other opportunities (postings, etc) may come up depending on his career progression.

Thank you, that is what I wanted to know. He will be full time and has not gotten an offer yet, but we should be hearing from them soon. Its going to be our life with the military so I want to be as educated as I can be with the upcoming changes. Thank you.

Always better to go into something informed.  It will be a significant culture shock for him, but in many ways just as much for you.

This forum is a pretty good resource for figuring out many of the details a recruiter can't (or doesn't know about) explain, short of actually experiencing it.

Back