• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry officer Phase 3

Technoviking did a very good job explaining the course

Honestly; its not that bad, I was on last summers course; the RTU and had a blast, especially the last 4 weeks when everything we had learned really came together during the Full Spectrum Ops mod and the live fire attacks...

With that being said you will be tested on the course,

My advice if you want to be successful on the course

1.  Get in Shape - so many people couldn't hack the course because they just couldn't physically manage the training

My training that I do - You will not be doing that much running for some reason the CF loves jogging to tell you the truth you would be better served taking your rucksack putting around 60 lbs in it and going for a nice march.  I did this for a month and a half before course and it served me well, try to build yourself up so you can do a BFT in about a 1 hour 50 min timeframe, oh and wear boots when you do this, your not going to be using sneakers in the field so why would you wear them for training.

Also, lift weights and lots of them, but by weight lifting I am not talking about bodybuilding weightlifting, aka doing a bi and tri day then stairing at your pecks in the mirror, you should be following an olympic lifting program, i.e. 3 times a week of power lifting 5x5 stronglifts is a good program here is a link http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
This type of training will strengthen your core, back and leg muscles, and is a total body workout.  Its also super easy to follow, and you will see massive benefits if you do follow it.

2.  Know the Basics: The Rest Will Come

Phase III can be pretty simple if you know your basics going into the course, on CAP you learned how to do recce patrols, section attacks, defensive ops, all that good jazz... let me tell you something Phase 3 takes all those concepts you learned and simply puts it on a bigger scale.  The Procedure for conducting a Combat Patrol is essentially the same as conducting a recce patrol, the steps are all the same it just instead of using a four man team you now have a platoon, same thing goes for platoon attacks.  Practice using a compass before you go on course, read over your weapons PAM's from CAP, review the combat estimate and battle procedure, all of these wonderful training aids and PAMS are available on the DWAN its great so use it.  A lot of people didn't review shit all before coming on course and skill fade is a real problem, take the initiative and do a little pre-course prep you will be thankful you did.

3.  Have Confidence in Your Ability, Take Everything as a Learning Experience

Ultimately, yes you are being assessed, but you are also there to learn.  The Instructors are great and if you show them you have some drive and you want to learn they will help you.  The Warrants have a wealth of experience as do the Captains don't be afraid to ask questions.  When you do something always have a reason for it, the staff will challenge you to think critically but they are also want you to take charge and show that you can work under pressure.

4.  Have FUN with Everything

Have fun with the stuff, take it seriously but play around with it, whenever your doing TEWT's think outside the box, don't just give the staff generic examples from the book play around show them you can think independently.  Essentially whenever I do a mission analysis I treat everything as if my platoon is my "Orchestra of Death" and I am the Conductor.  The stuff can be fun you just have to make it that way.  Also have a laugh with the boys about stuff it really helps everybody get through the rough times.

5.  Exercises are Finite, Grow a set, suck it up!

I hated seeing people 4 days into an exercise pull chute and head off to the MIR, firstly it not only f's your buddies over because now they have to pull extra weight but it also cheapens the experience, and you look really bad in front of the staff.  Example of the last day of Hasty's I was Wpn's det commander, Mortar, M203, and had a radio because we only had 13 people left to finish off platoon attacks; when i got back a bunch of the other guys had copped out and went to the MIR when in fact basically nothing was wrong with them, they had "trench foot"... everyone had trench foot it rained for seven days.  I am not going to rant about it, it is what it is, my advice don't be one of those guys.

Phase 3 is hard you will have struggles, but know this, there have been thousands of other people that have gone through it before you.  Army courses are only as hard as you make them for yourself, just show up with good basics, a willingness to listen and learn, good physical fitness, and some good old drive you will do fine. 

Thanks for the post, Stymiest.  I'm not a pointy-head, but I know solid advice when I see it.

Guys joining the infantry on the enlisted side of the house would do well to read the above, and apply those principles when completing their own courses.

Stymiest's advice is excellent.  Remember that it is a process, and that in a way that will only make sense on grad parade, it's actually fun.  My first time in Gagetown, trudging through a swamp in Area 2 at 3am, I remember our section commander gleefully telling us that there are idiots who pay a fortune to go to Outward Bound schools to do what the Army was paying us to do!  I've always kept that in the back of my mind and it works.

The trick is to be a team player - to know your strengths and weaknesses and seek to improve - if you're someone who seeks to harness your strengths to pull others up you'll find your team will help you in the same way.  Don't be an introvert.  Work with everyone.  You may not like them all, but you'll find the common misery will still bind you and your perspective on them will wind up changing anyhow.

As for a C9 barrel in the woods, hah!  That's nothing.  Try spending a day in Enniskillen crawling through the woods shoulder to shoulder looking for a C9 BOLT!  Or having your shacks and all your kit searched for missing DAGR, MNVG, and assorted other shiny kit.  That was my course!

Stymiest said:
Technoviking did a very good job explaining the course

Honestly; its not that bad, I was on last summers course; the RTU and had a blast, especially the last 4 weeks when everything we had learned really came together during the Full Spectrum Ops mod and the live fire attacks...

With that being said you will be tested on the course,

My advice if you want to be successful on the course

1.  Get in Shape - so many people couldn't hack the course because they just couldn't physically manage the training

2.  Know the Basics: The Rest Will Come

3.  Have Confidence in Your Ability, Take Everything as a Learning Experience

4.  Have FUN with Everything

5.  Exercises are Finite, Grow a set, suck it up!

Phase 3 is hard you will have struggles, but know this, there have been thousands of other people that have gone through it before you.  Army courses are only as hard as you make them for yourself, just show up with good basics, a willingness to listen and learn, good physical fitness, and some good old drive you will do fine.

Redeye said:
As for a C9 barrel in the woods, hah!  That's nothing.  Try spending a day in Enniskillen
Oh yeah?  Try LIVING in Enniskillen!  (I honestly live in Enniskillen, a mere 2.5 km from that back gate)

Your house was probably one of the inconvenient black dots inside the danger area for my live fire trace that range control said was "too dangerous".  So much for "realistic training".  :P

Next time you raise hogs, I might just have to pay a visit to Enniskillen, I'll find my own banjo to bring!

Technoviking said:
Oh yeah?  Try LIVING in Enniskillen!  (I honestly live in Enniskillen, a mere 2.5 km from that back gate)

Technoviking said:

Haha, you live out in Enniskillen, what made you decide on living all the way out there???  Not that it would be that bad lots of good hunting :)

I would love to get posted to 2RCR after my Phase 4 this summer, originally from Bathurst and I do miss the small town lifestyle afforded by the east coast.  Realistically I don't really care where I get posted as long as my girlfriend can find a half decent job.

Yes the lost kit searches are always the best, I remember we had just finished all our night patrols and had 2 hours of potentially solid rack available, then the notorious I dropped my MNVG's occurred, those were always the best nights as you had the people just at their breaking point flying off the deep-end. 

I'm not laughing - I heard the whole story and thought it was awesome - and if he does it again I'd be only too happy to give some of the product a good home.

Petamocto said:
Hey, don't laugh...Technoviking has the pictures up on Facebook to prove it.

Back