• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Officer Training and Progression

JCSP = Joint Command and Staff Programme.  Either a one year residential course (full-time) or a two year Distance Learning (DL) course (part-time while holding down a full-time position elsewhere).

JRCSP - Joint Reserve Command and Staff Programme.  Year one of the JCSP DL programme, for some Reserve Force members who will not go on to do year two.

I'd be kidding myself if I said this was the final update, but it is *for now*. I've also attached the PowerPoint version for easy editing.

Mike,

Not sure if it is just me, but I'm not seeing any updated files.

Some changes are subtle, and I probably still have not captured everything correctly. Bottom line, if you see "Mods 1-3" in yellow above CAFJOD (as a pre-req for ATOC), you're seeing the latest.

Corrections still welcome. :)

Thanks for the clarification - I missed the changes to the original file.  It's a handy resource, thanks for sharing.

Hi there,

I am new to the site. Entering my final year of university this Fall and looking to start the DEO application process soon.

I am wondering what you would do during the time between training courses? Are you posted somewhere/assigned to do military work or do you sit at home and wait for your training date? If you sit at home, are you paid during that time?

Thanks.

NorthernTwo said:
Hi there,

I am new to the site. Entering my final year of university this Fall and looking to start the DEO application process soon.

I am wondering what you would do during the time between training courses? Are you posted somewhere/assigned to do military work or do you sit at home and wait for your training date? If you sit at home, are you paid during that time?

Thanks.

Many take the time to develop their Google Fu.

NorthernTwo said:
Hi there,

Thanks.

You're posted to Gagetown after BMOQ, since your next 3 courses (BMOQ-A, IODP1.1, and IODP1.2) are all in Gagetown. You show up to work every day and report to PAT Pl (Personnel Awaiting Training Platoon), what you do ebbs and flows.

In some years, depending on who's in charge and the resources they have, those people have done SFA. Other times, they've conducted training relevant to the course they were about to do. Last year, a bunch of them got cut to 2 RCR, were assigned to companies, and we gainfully employed them as best we could. They did work both in garrison and came out to the field with us. Some have been attach posted to training units such as 5 CDSG Training Centre and have been Course Officers and stuff as well.

NorthernTwo said:
Entering my final year of university this Fall and looking to start the DEO application process soon.

This may help,

DEO Infantry
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+deo+infantry&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=37hRWcuVN8KR8QfdsKaYDg&gws_rd=ssl#spf=1498527968587

All,

Looking for some guidance on how things are supposed to progress for a PRes Infantry Officer. The courses and prerequisites have changed so much since I went through, I am not sure I can adequately guide company officers on what they need to do next.

I have attached a diagram I am building based on various source material (which seems outdated and in conflict, for the most part).

I know there are inaccuracies and errors in what I have so far, so I am looking for corrections. For example, I know there is a time limit for becoming qualified (DP 1) but I am not sure what it is.

Any feedback is appreciated. I'll post the final version as a PowerPoint in case it is of use to others.

Cheers
Mike
Wondering if there have been any significant changes to the training scheme since 2017?

Not really, other than a possible change to require AOC before IDCCC but I don't believe that is official yet.

Would love to put together a similar picture for Infantry NCM/NCOs but I don't have the authoritative info.

The new Infantry Officer course is IPCP (11 months). I was wondering if anyone knows the attrition rate of this course (I believe it was introduced three years ago). Additionally, what happens to a member if they fail the course, considering as there is only one serial per year they can’t get re-coursed.

The new Infantry Officer course is IPCP (11 months). I was wondering if anyone knows the attrition rate of this course (I believe it was introduced three years ago). Additionally, what happens to a member if they fail the course, considering as there is only one serial per year they can’t get re-coursed.
Don’t worry we don’t let people fail initial training anymore.

But in seriousness they can bring candidates in mid way through a course and the length allows for a LOT of reattempts.

The 'F' in Infantry stands for many things, but never 'failure' ;)

Back