• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Insurgent ground assaults on KAF and BAF

Infanteer said:
Question of the Day;

If you are enjoying a delicious meal a la carte at TGI Fridays, and the rocket attack kicks in or worse, a ground assault (if that's what we call harrassing fire these days) takes place, how do you settle up your bill?
If the reports are true that it kicked off at 8 pm, then the Catholics at Mass would have been in a conundrum.  (The anticipatory mass kicks off at 8 pm)  You see, once the celebration of the eucharist begins, that's it, that's all.  Ain't nobody goin' nowhere, to quote a friend of mine.  At least for the priest.

In fact, for one of the first masses I attended at KAF, the priest said that if we were in the introductory rites, up to and including the readings, then if the rocket alarm went off, then mass would end immediately.  Having said that, once the rites of communion started, well, the priest was staying put to finish the rite: the common folk were free to leave, of course. 

Bo said:
I'm not sure whether this news agency's info is inaccurate or whether all the other ones are just not reporting it.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=127490&sectionid=351020403
This media outlet is known to share information straight from the Taliban statements, without mentioning the Taliban's "math problems" when talking about our dead/wounded.

That said, best wishes for a speedy recovery to anyone who may need it....  :salute:

milnews.ca said:
This media outlet is known to share information straight from the Taliban statements,

or from blogs....

Military blog removed after report of wounded Canadians

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100523/kandahar-airfield-security-100524/20100524?hub=TopStoriesV2

The Associated Press
Date: Mon. May. 24 2010 7:27 AM ET
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — A British military blog reported Monday that Canadians and Americans were among more than a dozen coalition troops wounded in a Taliban rocket attack at the Kandahar Airfield, but the International Security Assistance Force is disputing that.
The Helmand Blog, run by several branches of the U.K. military both in England and Afghanistan, said insurgents attacked the base from two locations Saturday night, launching five rocket-propelled grenades.
It said 13 people from the American and Canadian contingents suffered injuries.
The blog quoted Senior Aircraftsman Eric Telford, 24, from 2nd Squadron of the Royal Air Force, as saying he rushed to the site of the attack and applied a tourniquet to a wounded female Canadian soldier.
The blog entry was later removed after ISAF said it was posted without proper approval and contained some incorrect information.
In an email, Capt. Scott Costen said the number wounded and their nationalities was inaccurate, but he declined to provide the correct information. It is against ISAF policy to release the numbers of those wounded or their nationalities.
The Canadian Forces also has a policy against releasing information about wounded troops.
ISAF said a small number of insurgents were involved in Saturday's attack, one of whom was killed and three of whom were detained. No one was killed during the four-hour assault, but ISAF said some civilians and members of NATO military forces were injured.
For security reasons, journalists at Kandahar Airfield are prevented from reporting where the rockets landed -- it's part of their embedment agreement with the military.
The Associated Press, however, reported one of the rockets hit a shop-lined boardwalk where soldiers socialize in the evenings. It also reported that a U.S. official said the rocket hit about 50 metres away from a restaurant in front of a boardwalk coffee shop.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the information had not been officially released.

Why are we allowing posts like those above that make mention to specific locations the rockets may have landed?

Do we really want to help them adjust their rounds?  Perhaps we could give them some adjustments they could make to hit the highest populated places at the right time, too?

Our grandparents would have been executed for treason/sabotage for helping the enemy like that.

Petamocto said:
Why are we allowing posts like those above that make mention to specific locations the rockets may have landed?

Do we really want to help them adjust their rounds?  Perhaps we could give them some adjustments they could make to hit the highest populated places at the right time, too?

Our grandparents would have been executed for treason/sabotage for helping the enemy like that.

Heaven forbid KAFers/ reporters employ a little bit of OPSEC before hitting the "post" button.

Regards

Technoviking said:
As I read that, I see where I buggered up.  No, dude didn't die because I thought  "You picked the wrong side".  I said that as the rounds were in the air.  I hope that clears THAT up...

I thought you could do ANYTHING seeing as you are the Techoviking and all.  :nod:

Torch post with must-listen audio:

KAF attack, or, the enemy within (notably Globeites): Matthew Fisher explains
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2010/05/kaf-attack-or-enemy-within-notably.html

Mark
Ottawa

Back