• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interesting..

Bograt said:
Perhaps Zoomie or Inch can confirm.

Unfortunately I am neither in the position to confirm or deny the validity of his statement.  I was under the same impresion as you Bograt - the seat on the H2 and the Hawk are pretty much the same - but I don't know about the inside of the cockpit.  The Hawk seat may very well be that much closer to the "dash"...

It does seem strange for DCIEM to already start phasing out candidates for specific pits in the fleet.  Not that there won't be plenty of guys ready to jump on that jet slot.

Like Bograt said - focus now on each step of your transition from civi to Wing CF Pilot. First step, after getting accepted, is IAP/BOTP - don't worry about flight training until you get there.

Zach15 said:
  I think what he is referring to is things such as BMQ and the flight training phases.

However, my feeling about that is if I pass ACS, determination and hard work will get me through the rest of the way.

Right now I have no experience, and that is why I am worried about AirCrew.

Yep same here.  Only reason I'm worried about ASC is that it's not really something you can control.  Like SeaKingTacco says, it's either something you have or something you don't.  If I *do* make it all the way and get offered a position, it's basically home free as far as I'm concerned.  The hard work has yet to start yet, but I'm willing to work harder at this than anything else in my life, all I need is the chance to do it.

I had kind of the same scenario at aircrew medical earlier this month, the anthropometric measurements said that I was borderline pass for a couple of the trainers, ie; jet-ranger, hawk.  The doctor told me that about half of the people that get to aircrew medical don't "fit" into at least one of the trainers.  And the majority of those not being able to fit in the jet-ranger. Not sure though how many people actually get disqualified for this.

I'm not up to speed on the anthropometric requirements, but from my H2 and Hawk experience I'd speculate that at 170 cm you should be comfortable in either cockpit. The Hawk cockpit is rather more snug than the Harvard, but at 5'11" and 160 lbs, I fit comfortably into it. I wouldn't want to be much bigger than that, but I know guys a bit taller with 30 or 40 more pounds that manage fine.

I'm kind of curious to know how many.. if any current CF pilots were told they had a "slight heart murmur... nothing to be worried about" in their Medical?

A couple of us were told.. and while im crossing my fingers for the "nothing to be worried about" I'm having flashbacks to the 2 or 3 horror stories of friends of friends who got to the medical but were disqualified for a heart murmur.

Anyone with their wings, or on their way to wings have a minor blip on the ECG?

I don't really know much, but from what I heard from other users is that this heart murmur is something they are specifically looking for, but if it's only minor they will probably overlook it.  There are varying degrees of heart murmurs (1-6), and low on the scale is probably acceptable (1 or 2 maybe?).  Also if it was something that would cause a problem I assume they would have told you at the time.  Just my speculation!

I was diagnosed with a heart murmur when I was born - I still have it today.  I also have mitral-valve prolapse that was diagnosed when I was undergoing an ultrasound of my heart taken down my throat.  The doctors determined that the murmur was due to a tiny hole that exists between the two atriums of the heart - this hole was deemed medically insignificant.  Oh, I have my wings too - so no worries.

I also have Mitral Valve Prolapse and have been flying since 1998.  No biggie for me...

Thanks guys...

I haven't been losing any sleep over it... because there is really nothing that can be done as far as the medical goes. It's a pass/fail deal... completely arbitrary.

But.. that makes me feel much better.

That's funny because I was diagnosed with MVP as well during the medical and was told that it wouldn't be a problem.  Just to find out more on the subject I researched this subject on the Defense Research and Development webpage and found publications that showed MVP to be the single most disqualifying condition that pilots had.  This research caused me to get a little paranoid but it's nice to hear that others have encountered this.  Hopefully this condition doesn't get worse with time! eh guys?

With so many people here that say they have it, maybe it's one of those things that a large number of people have, to a slight degree.  And as long as it's not one of the more severe cases it's probably acceptable.

There really is no way of knowing if you have Mitral Valve Pro-Lapse - you can't feel it.  Only from an in-depth ultrasound of the heart can they diagnose such a condition - it is a non-event.

What you can feel are called Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) - this involves an extra mis-fired beat of the heart.  Again, a non-event so long as you don't get them in a row.  I am using this condition as my "get-out-of jail free" card for not being an Instructor - as such a condition may affect your Class A medical.

Back