• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

International Navigation Survey

Sorry, can't participate as I can't answer this question:

You are from:

Africa
    America
    Asia
    Europe
    Oceania

::)

PMedMoe said:
Sorry, can't participate as I can't answer this question:

::)

The division of North and South America into separate continents is a model not necessarily agreed upon by all of the regions of the world.  ;)

I like this part of the survey:

This survey tries to establish a link between the "need", the "meaning" and the "word".

Huh?  ???

;D

Yep, that's a head-scratcher alright...I'm not even sure what they were trying to say.

Occam said:
The division of North and South America into separate continents is a model not necessarily agreed upon by all of the regions of the world.  ;)
When Brits especially used to tell me America was only one continent because it was a continuous land mass, I used to call them "Asians."

Old Sweat said:
When Brits especially used to tell me America was only one continent because it was a continuous land mass, I used to call them "Asians."

And it ended the argument very quickly, I'll bet!  ;D

Occam said:
And it ended the argument very quickly, I'll bet!  ;D
It worked on everybody except subalterns in cavalwy wegiments, who couldn't figure it out, or maybe find Asia on the map.  >:D

PMedMoe said:
I like this part of the survey:

This survey tries to establish a link between the "need", the "meaning" and the "word".

Huh?  ???

;D

Actually, it makes more sense in the French version (original version actually - the rest is a pretty bad translation) for those who know how European French express themselves.

Its not really a "navigation" survey, but rather a marketing of navigation equipment survey.

The operator is trying to find out what prefix or suffix or adjective would entice you to buy a specific piece of navigation equipment if it was part of the equipment's name. For instance a Decca "Bridgemaster" must be good because it includes the word "master".

Thus he is looking for this: given your navigation equipment "needs", as you selected them, which adjective, prefix or suffix (the "word") would lead you to conclude (convey the "meaning") that a given piece of equipment will meet it (your "need").

For those unfamiliar with  the French HEC: its a business school, MBA equivalent and up. So again, this is a marketing project - not a navigation one.

Colin: I thought you of all people would have clued that my whole example was sarcastic. After all, sarcasm is all that this "survey" merits. ;)

Just a Pavlovian response.  :nod:

Decca did have good repeatablilty, however closing in on the system from deep sea left one in doubt as to which lane one was in.

Decca employees used to joke that DECCA was an acronym for "Dedicated Englishmen Causing Chaos Abroad."

Back