• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Internet in Borden

OnceASailor

Inactive
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the most appropriate place to have posted this; sincerest apologies.

I am leaving for my Sup Tech QL3's in Borden come Sunday. I had previously assumed that the barracks would have some kind of provided (or purchasable) internet. However after asking friends who went to CFSAL/CFLTC and finding otherwise I have put myself in a kind of jam due to the fact I am registered for a distance-learning university course which lasts duration of summer.

I've been told you can get wireless internet set up in the barracks and was wondering if this is factual? Then if so, what would be the best way to go about this if anyone has done such in the past?

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Cheers

At CFLTC now, and the shacks that I'm in (P98) have rogers internet connectivity.  The other shacks I couldn't speak for but if you know the building you're going into than the Rogers in Alliston could tell you

TierenHawkins said:
Not sure if this is the most appropriate place to have posted this; sincerest apologies.

I am leaving for my Sup Tech QL3's in Borden come Sunday. I had previously assumed that the barracks would have some kind of provided (or purchasable) internet. However after asking friends who went to CFSAL/CFLTC and finding otherwise I have put myself in a kind of jam due to the fact I am registered for a distance-learning university course which lasts duration of summer.

I've been told you can get wireless internet set up in the barracks and was wondering if this is factual? Then if so, what would be the best way to go about this if anyone has done such in the past?

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Cheers

From looking at the coverage maps, most of the base is covered by Wind mobile.  Wind offers a variety of plans; for example, $35 per month for 10Gb, after which they may throttle your speed.  There's no long-term commitment, and no setup fee.  The cheapest data stick is $59.  Look at http://www.wind.ca

(Note: I am a Wind customer, but haven't been to Borden since I started using their service, so I can't swear to their connectivity on base).

I'm not sure if available in Borden.  But while in kingston on course, there was a group of 8 of us who split a Bell line with a wireless router.  I went about it by talking to base accommodations. 

While I was there last sumer for my dp 1. 0 was in t-114 (the white buildings beside the mess. There wasn't any wifi, however our staff said we could pay to get it setup. We never did as we were only their for two months.

There is also WiFi at Tim Horton's on base but it was like 15 minutes away walking and it didn't have outlets.

You could also add more data to your phone and then just tether.

The McDonalds in town has outlets.

Edit:

Sarahsmom is correct, the JRs has wifi, I can't comment on the quality as I never used it.

Depending on how long your course is, you can call Rogers and have them set you up.
It was roughly $60/mo for 80GB, plus the connection fee.
I was in T114 and we split the internet between 3-4 people to make it cheaper.
Once you call Rogers for the setup, they can usually be there within 5 days, and have no problem showing up after class if you tell them you can't be there until 1600hrs.
When you leave however, it is your responsibility (or whoever's name the account is in) to return the modem to a Rogers store. And you need to give them 30 days cancellation notice.
The junior ranks mess is supposed to have internet I think, but I never went so I'm not sure.

If you are planning on getting your own internet connection in Borden I would recommend that you look into a Third Party Internet Provider such as Teksavvy or Start I have used both of them over the last 10 years and have had good experiences with them. Their prices are cheaper than the incumbents with higher usage packages and use the same infrastructure, you would have to purchase your own modem although Start does have a rental option.

sarahsmom said:
Depending on how long your course is, you can call Rogers and have them set you up.
It was roughly $60/mo for 80GB, plus the connection fee.
I was in T114 and we split the internet between 3-4 people to make it cheaper.
Once you call Rogers for the setup, they can usually be there within 5 days, and have no problem showing up after class if you tell them you can't be there until 1600hrs.
When you leave however, it is your responsibility (or whoever's name the account is in) to return the modem to a Rogers store. And you need to give them 30 days cancellation notice.
The junior ranks mess is supposed to have internet I think, but I never went so I'm not sure.

Yes Accommodations can give you the number of the Rogers Rep for the Base, he can translate your bldg/room number into the info you need to give Rogers when you go to the Rogers store, either in Barrie or Alliston, and get your modem.  So that your jack is active in your room.

Back