• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interpretation of Grandfather's Documents from WW2

maclachlan98

Inactive
Reaction score
I've fairly recently came into the possession of my grandfather's WW2 Soldier's Service and pay book & a boarding pass for a ship (with no date provided) and was wondering if I could get some help figuring out as to what unit(s) he had belonged to. I've contacted Archives Canada at the beginning of the year and and I am currently awaiting a response from them (after the initial acknowledgement of receiving my request). I have came to Army.ca to see if anyone could be able to understand and relay to me what unit he may have been with. For some background information on him: he enlisted in Nova Scotia in May of '41 with a Scottish ethnicity & by trade he was a storeman. His boarding pass is too large to upload on the forums but on it it has his Number (F78833), Rank (Pte), and his unit information ( CD 541/MD 6  (3 [The rest is illegible to me])Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

The number F78833 belongs to a block of numbers assigned to No. 6 District Depot. These number blocks were used for general recruiting rather then for men recruited directly into specific units.

CD541/MD 6 probably stands for something like Canadian Draft #541 [from] Military District No. 6.

His service record should include some typed sheets that show his movements , changes of units, promotions, etc. These sheets will hold the key for what unit(s) he served with overseas. You cam order his service record from Library and Archives Canada, instructions can be found here: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/Pages/obtain-copies-military-service-files.aspx

Thanks! I was confused as to what those numbers meant exactly, so thank you again for clearing that up

Back