• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interview

hhhp

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a mechanical engineering student (i have one semester left till graduation and a good gpa) that has applied for a job in the Forces as a Marine System Engineer. Today i did the medical exam and the interview. At the end of the interview, the person told me that i had a low score on that interview and there is little chance ill get selected, but she would still forward my file to the NOAB. One of the reasons i did not good is because that was the first serious interview i ever did and i did not know what to expect (questions like "in what situation were you told to do things in a different way than you usually do them" took me some time answer)

Are there still any chances that i make it to the NOAB ? I wouldnt want to wait one year in order to apply for it again ...

Thank You

There is always a chance. Keep positive, and hope for the best.

More importantly, take this as a learning opportunity. Almost everyone has had a poor interview at some point or another, you just had the misfortune of having it for something you really wanted.

Reassess your skills, and make an effort to improve upon them. Even if it doesn't change anything right now, it will at some point during your professional career. Check with your educational institution, as most of them offer Career counselling resources such as interview prep, and mock interviews. This is the perfect time for you to go get this kind of invaluable advice and instruction from a professional, use it while it's free. It's very helpful to have someone who can reflect back constructive criticism in an environment where there is nothing at stake. I've been through many interviews over the course of my short employed life, and I've never felt like spending the hour or two talking to a Career adviser was a waste of my time.

You can't do anything about what already happened, but you can do something about what might happen in the future.

Keep your chin up.

Thank you Nostix for such a constructive reply! I was a bit sad because i found that job really interesting but you know .. better luck next time and whatever doesnt kill you only makes you stronger ... Im going to make sure im prepared for the next interview.

There might still be a chance ... i saw that the people at the recruitment center are always a bit negative ... the first time i went there and i spoke with someone, he told me that because i didnt finish my degree yet, my application will be treated slower and it could take 2 years. In 3 months i had the aptitude test and 14 days later i had the medical exam and interview...

hhhp said:
i saw that the people at the recruitment center are always a bit negative ... the first time i went there and i spoke with someone, he told me that because i didnt finish my degree yet, my application will be treated slower and it could take 2 years. In 3 months i had the aptitude test and 14 days later i had the medical exam and interview...

How is that being negative? That's just reality.

I would not say they are particularly negative. I recently did an interview for NCS Eng. and was told my interview went very well (I'm still waiting...).

I was prepared for it though. I can't really offer any advice on how to fix your past interview, but take it as a learning experience. If you plan to reapply consider a few tips (these apply to any interview):

1) Prepare, prepare, prepare. There are a lot of good sites on the internet that contain tips and ways to prepare for an interview. I find that finding sample questions then writing out my own answers for them helps tremendously.
2) You cannot have completed a degree in Mechanical engineering without encountering challenges. Think about times you experienced a challenge whether through work experience, team work, projects, experiences with professors so forth. Write them down, how you dealt with them, how you might have dealt with them better.
3) http://www.metisnation.ca/Aboriginal_Employment/pdfs/Interview_preparing.pdf  This link is a good means to assess your ability to answer the interview questions.

Back