• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IR options - 17 Wing Winnipeg

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
There's a possibility of a posting to 17 Wing APS 2021 for me, but likely as IR.

Was wondering if anyone is on IR there now, or was recently that has any info on decent IR living locations.  I know some folks used to take suites/rooms at the Fort Gary (Place, or Hotel...not sure exactly), and some get a PMQ.  I'd likely be looking for something more along the line of the FG, furnished, includes internet, cable with a kitchenette and a parking spot, something along that line is what I'd be looking for.

Anyone with some pointers, feedback...greatly appreciated. 

Hey brother.

I was at the Fort and to be honest it was decent. Everything was included (Internet, TV, and access to the pool). I was out $60 a month, the IR rate didn't cover 100% of the rent, parking was in a secure parking garage. There were a few vehicles broken into while I was there, but it is downtown Winnipeg, not that I expect it, but it happens.

The apartment wasn't fancy but it had everything I needed, in-suite laundry for example.

The location was decent as well. The only thing that kind of got to me was the end of day traffic, it would take me 15-20 mins to drive into work and was as long as a hour for the return trip (average 30 mins). That being said, Winnipeg is great for cycling and it didn't take long to bike into work, which is one way to beat the traffic.

IF I get cleared to return I will be looking to stay at the Fort again.  (Standard suite...)

*they were renovating like crazy when I was there so prices may have gone up.

https://www.edisonproperties.ca/furnishedsuites.aspx

Awesome info...tks.  Looks like a good option - like the parking and laundry parts.

I'd likely have the intent to do the PT thing at the end of the day (I hate changing 2-4 times during the work day...) so that might help avoid that suppertime traffic gaggle...

PMQ option...need to rent/buy furniture.  Not really what I'd like to get into...all-inclusive is where it's at for me.

Eye In The Sky said:
PMQ option...need to rent/buy furniture.  Not really what I'd like to get into...all-inclusive is where it's at for me.

The only items I bought were a small bbq and lawn chair, for the balcony.

Eye In The Sky said:
Like it.  storage area for a bike and kayak?

There was a decent sized storage room/closet which is where I kept my bike, military kit and winter tires. I don’t know if you’d get a kayak in.

Haven't lived in Winnipeg, but I was living in a furnished suite elsewhere for a while. You'll come to appreciate the little things like housekeeping, and it's a good set up to focus either on professional stuff or simply using your off time to explore a new place. If you're going to be separated from loved ones, might as well have a positive life experience.

Cheers.

reveng said:
Haven't lived in Winnipeg, but I was living in a furnished suite elsewhere for a while. You'll come to appreciate the little things like housekeeping, and it's a good set up to focus either on professional stuff or simply using your off time to explore a new place. If you're going to be separated from loved ones, might as well have a positive life experience.

Cheers.

Another good consideration...and I agree.  tks!

Back