• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Iran accuses Canada

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
M

MAJOR_Baker

Iran accuses Canada of Human rights abuses, I laughed all morning.  It must piss the hardliners off that a lesbian iranian now CDN wrote a book about Islam and the west.

Iran accuses Canada of Human rights abuses

WTF ???????? Is that, Iran huh i will remember that...... Nobody has the right to insult my country like that, we provide peace, and we are accused of human rights abuses ? you know i don't want to sound racist or whatever but wtf is going with the middle east all those countries are blasting the USA and coalitions, i am sorry but i know a person who thanks bush from taking saddam prisoner ( he is Kurd ) and i am glad that Canada is in Afghanistan chasing the terrorist camps...now i don't want this thread to be about what i wrote, i had to exprec my feelings, to day i did my formal commitment to serve her majesty and my country, now if you are a warrior (terrorist) and you insult my country or do harm to it or me or my family, be ready cause i am gonna hunt you down like a wolf, i am gonna keep chasing you until i get you.......... :(

Canada is accused of human rights abuses...........i am gonna stop here and take a big breath or i will get kicked from the forum....

Wolf  :cdn: :cdn: :cdn:

S_Baker said:
Iran accuses Canada of Human rights abuses, I laughed all morning.   It must piss the hardliners off that a lesbian iranian now CDN wrote a book about Islam and the west.
Are you referring to the woman who put a movie and book together called 'Water' for the International Movie Festival in Toronto, and received death threats as well as hate mail for "contradicting" their way of life?
I caught that story on CH Hamilton the other day. I thought it was quite funny.

Here's the story.  It's two pages long so I'll just post the link.

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=55707cb3-39bc-4e59-9db2-bcc6a7673382

Ahh, a completely different story.
In my opinion, fuck 'em. We're all about human rights, Iran has no place to criticise our system.

So Canada tells them to improve their situation on human rights, and Iran turns around and brings up a few BS cases in Canada and says we don't have the right to criticize them? The h*ll we don't! They are a joke when it comes to human rights.

S_Baker said:
I hope no one thought I was busting on canada, I wasn't....I thought it rather humorous that Iran of all places was busting on Canada's human rights record.   As far as the CDN/Iranian women point, I think she was a lesbian (she talks about this point a lot) from Toronto and wrote a book about Islam and the west.....my point was that it must really grate on some of the hardliners, one she is a women, two she lives in the west, and three, she wrote a provocative book.

More power to her!
It seems to me that the smaller countries in the world just don't use common sense. Oh well.
If worst comes to worse, I hope I get shipped over there in the next few years.  :soldier:

The woman being reffered  to (her name escapes me at the moment) is a Canadian writer and broadcaster (although I don't think she was involved with the movie).

Imagine, an openly gay woman, going uncovered by a burqua or chador, sharing ideas and opinions with the wider world around her! What a hidious place Canada must be, compared to Iran, where Canadian journalists are "only" raped and beaten to death. You can clearly see how the Mullahs have created a far superior society in the "Islamic Republic".......

AoD71 said:
So Canada tells them to improve their situation on human rights, and Iran turns around and brings up a few BS cases in Canada and says we don't have the right to criticize them? The h*ll we don't! They are a joke when it comes to human rights.

I wouldn't call them all BS cases, but Iran's accusations really are quite ridiculous given their extremity of abuse.

Irshad Manji is definitely the writer in question, she's a lovely woman who I had the pleasure to meet a year or so ago.
While I personally found her book to lack an academic feel, which given the nature of the topic may have been appropriate, by that same token it appealed to a huge market and addressed a major issue in Islam and went a long way in effecting my idea of spirituality and my religion.

She receives hate mail daily I believe, which she generally responds to with kind words, and lives in an apartment with bulletproof windows. And what grinds my gears about the whole thing is if I ask any of my friends if they've read the book they'll say "no, she's wrong." "why" "because so-and-so told me so" which if they'd actually take the time to read the book would see that's exactly what she says "The Trouble with Islam" is.

As far as Iran is concerned, pffft...big bad Canada and our Mr. Meany Pants PM make the big supreme Iranian leader angry?

I think its time to pull out my old  F*#K IRAN  button. Bought during the Iran hostage crisis.

And that broadcaster media lady, shes foreign, media person and a woman she could be the next Governor General....did I think that or say that.?

Every time I walk ny the Iranian Embassy here in Ottawa, and I'm not in uniform, I spit on their lawn and make sure their security camera records it.

We put up with too much of their silliness. Shut down the grain shipments, give Canadians 30 days to get out of Iran, and then storm their embassy.

But no, that's not "Canadian"...

Rhetoric aside, there is some merit to be found in such an extreme accusation. There has been systemic abuse of First Nations communities and other minority groups in Canada for quite some time and as such the Iranians are entitled to criticize our government and its' actions.

Oka,Ipperwash,Kaschechewane, Japanese internees, Chinese head taxes, re-settlement of Innu and Inuit, and preferential Racist immigration policies are all areas of Canadian abuses or at the least identifiable negligence for which we all hold collective responsibility.

If Canada sticks its neck out then we should expect some people to take a swipe or two. Our government is not in a position of moral authority that holds us beyond reproach. If we are to be true world  leaders, then we must assume responsibility for our actions, good or bad.

sheikyerbouti said:
Oka,Ipperwash,Kaschechewane, Japanese internees, Chinese head taxes, re-settlement of Innu and Inuit, and preferential Racist immigration policies are all areas of Canadian abuses or at the least identifiable negligence for which we all hold collective responsibility.

My dad came to Canada in the 1950s, so I don't see where he has any individual or collective responsibility for any of these acts. I take responsibility for my own actions , thank you, but I don't accept responsibility for things I didn't do.......

I don't think you have a firm grasp of what happened at the places and events you detailed. To claim the list below as a claim of human rights abuses is so far out side reality I was not sure you were serious.

sheikyerbouti said:
Rhetoric aside, there is some merit to be found in such an extreme accusation. There has been systemic abuse of First Nations communities and other minority groups in Canada for quite some time and as such the Iranians are entitled to criticize our government and its' actions.

Let me suggest that the internment of the Japanese, Chinese head tax resettlement of Canada's Inuit all occurred a long time ago 50 years to 120 years ago. Alot has changed in our society. In fact those wrongs that have been found to have been abuses have been corrected with apologies and compensation.

As for the more recent events how can you claim an illegal act that is confronted with a police response to be abuse of human rights? At Ipperwash an illegal act took place and a police legal response occurred, during the event and illegal abusive act occurred by the police and they were prosecuted for the act. Not abuse but a democracy with a perfect human rights record working as it should.
  As for Oka same issue but no illegal act by the police, and I must say a fine job by the soldiers of the CF to keep the event contained and without death.
  And for Kaschechewane what planet are you on, have you any idea how much money is poured into those communities how poorly the money is managed. If any local village in southern Canada got the money that that community had they would be spectacular. Just look at other reserves and how well there are run its not human rights abuses its self abuse.

We in Canada are not perfect but we are as close to it as you can get in the world. As we find we have made mistakes we correct and repair the damage thats a perfect record if you ask me.l

as a half-breed who has grown up next to, and on, Reserves, I would like to say that anyone who even beigns to compare Iran's civil, nay human, rights abuses to the treatment of Injuns here in Canada is living in a bizarre dream world and seriously needs to give their empty head a shake. Or a sheik, as the case may be.

Unfortunately my main assertion was overlooked as per usual. We are not saints, nor are we in any position to expect such a judgment. As I stated it is an extreme accusation but not completely unfounded.

If you'd like I can bring up more examples as there are many to be found within our countries history. Dumping in the Arctic, examples like the ongoing permission of Kiddy-fiddling in places like Bountiful, B.C., Residential school abuses, exploitation of Natural resources without due compensation a la Northwest territories or the despised NEP. The list is long and most certainly not lost in the annals of history.

I am well aware of the issues faced by Canadians of all colours and it must be accepted that we have commited our fair share of abuses and mistakes over the years. We must not shirk our duty to the marginalized of this country.

To majoor, you cannot claim innocence, nor can you ignore your duty of care to the people you serve. Irrespective of your familial history, as a Canadian in the service of your country you cannot neglect your share of the burden.

It is reprehensible for us to assume that since we throw money at the First Nations, we can absolve ourselves of any further duty of care. Clean water is a basic Human right which we have ignored for far too long.

On a personal level, as a civilian in attendance both prior to, during, and after the Oka crisis, I can say that the CF acted quite well but it begs the question. Where was the Federal government  in the lead up to this situation? Oka was a problem well before it hit the Media headlines.

There has been a shift at the Federal level towards more assertion of the Canadian opinion and as such we need to recognize our own fallacies, the most important being the application of double standards when it comes to passing judgment on our peers.

Human rights are basic and inalienable. We cannot assert our views without being held accountable to our own actions.

BTW PAra, I never made that assertion. All I said was we cannot hold ourselves above criticism as unfounded or historically inaccurate as it may be.

edit: added link to Minister Axworthy's speech http//:www.cdp-hrc.uottawa.ca/publicat/bull35.html

yes, pity us poor Brown people. Too dumb to make it in the White Man's World. Woe unto us. Thank Heaven for those few enlightened People of Pale Colour who understand our trials and tribulations.

Back