• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IRB Fiasco with VAC

Tired Sergeant

Inactive
Reaction score
So VAC recalculated my IRB back to 2014 ( year of pay rate change) ....I've been in receipt of CPP (D) , Manulife, and Whatever name they choose to use over this time ( PIA, CIA, ELB, IRB). They have sent me a Overpayment letter to the tune of $25,000.00. Just wondering if this adjustment has screwed anyone else and if you've had any luck fighting these absurd request for repayment.....I didn't screw up. They did.

Just wondering if this adjustment has screwed anyone else...

Yes, veterans have regularly run into this issue. To avoid over payment of benefits: when approval for monthly offsets (other income) is know, the veteran is responsible to report these new offsets to allow the various benefits programs for recalculated. No, CPP does not talk to VAC or Manulife.

and if you've had any luck fighting these absurd request for repayment.....

There's nothing to fight, if the calculation for over payment is accurate and you owe the amounts they require to be repaid.

One option is to apply for remission of the overpayment. https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-vac/legislation-policies/policies/document/1600

Personally, I have no experience in this, but I have done some research into remission of overpayments. I have found no examples of VAC-related remission orders in the Canada Gazette, so this could be an extreme longshot. But if you can show undue hardship, it could be worth trying.

As Kratz said, submit copies of your SISIP/CPP/Pension, etc. If your pay at release was recalculated, likely, they were too, and these new amounts factored into the current calculation. Happens a lot with CPP(D) and CFSA recipients.

Back