• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Iron Men, women and dogs of the north

niner domestic

Inactive
Reaction score
The Iditarod and Yukon Quest dog sled races are over for this year.  Lance Mackey won both of them.  The Quest was a 1000 mile race and the Ididarod was 1150 miles this year. Mackey won both races using the same team.  Well done puppies and Lance! Both races this year were marred with bitter temperatures and conditions - even the Northern Games in Whitehorse had problems with the bitter temperatures.  The training that goes into preparing for the races is exacting for both human and canine.  Dogs and humans train all year round. 

http://www.adn.com/iditarod/race_2007/features/story/8704738p-8609221c.html

Here's some pics of the terrain the dogs and mushers go over.  I did it on a 900 Arctic cat and it was tough. 

On average, how many days does it take to do ?

niner domestic said:
the Northern Games in Whitehorse had problems with the bitter temperatures. 
I heard that Whitehorse put on an amazing Northern Games, something like 3500 volunteers.  I've been to Whitehorse and I wasn't surprised to hear it.  The people there are awesome.  It was nice that the traditional Inuit games were also part of the show, albeit not competitively.  Well done Whitehorse! :salute:

Back