• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is Air Traffic Controller a trade dominated by ex-pilots?

IBM

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a PRes member thinking about re-mustering into Reg Air Traffic Controller trade. However, I've been told that this trade is usually dominated by ex-pilots who can't cut it in the cockpit anymore, so I should try for something else. Is this true or am I the victim of bad information?

Anyone in the trade or know someone in the trade who can verify this? Thanks.

Not in the Trade, but have known many who were.  The answer is NO.  You do not have to be an "Ex-Pilot".

Firstly, do you have good reason to believe this information came from someone with broad personal experience with CF Air Traffic Controllers, and might have known the backgrounds of a statistically significant number of them?

Well, I had my doubts that this info was suspect myself when I first heard it, since the source himself is not a CF ATC. Thanks for confirming that this is total BS for me.

By the way, anyone know how hard it is to get into the AEC or ATC trades? I heard its competitive because its a small trade.

There is no ATC trade per se, it all falls under AEC.  If you search through the couple of pages of threads on this board, you will find all kinds of info and links on AEC. 

Perhaps you are interpreting the information incorrectly. AEC is a trade that by definition attracts people who are interested in aviation, many of whom probably have civilian flying experience or ratings as a hobby, but I don't believe it's common for ex-military pilots to transfer to AEC.

I had the opportunity to do some work with CF ATC types back in the late 90's/early 2000's.

Not one  was ex-pilot.  I was involved in training development so read the student profiles coming into the training pipeline at TCTI and not one of them, as I recall, was an ex-pilot.

Not saying it doesn't happen but in my limited exposure . . . .

There were still AWC's back then, some of them were ex-pilots, but there was much talk of merging ATC+AWC at the time . .  .  don't know the result.

Fact... only about 20% of AECs had it as a first choice when they joined the CF. A sizeable percentage of those who are AECs joined as pilots and failed prior to wing standards (Air Crew Selection, BFT, etc).

Aerospaced_out said:
Fact... only about 20% of AECs had it as a first choice when they joined the CF. A sizeable percentage of those who are AECs joined as pilots and failed prior to wing standards (Air Crew Selection, BFT, etc).

Hmm...I guess I'm going to be one of those special 20% since AEC is going to be my 1st choice. I have no desire to be a pilot, but the AEC trade really got my interest.

IBM said:
Hmm...I guess I'm going to be one of those special 20% since AEC is going to be my 1st choice. I have no desire to be a pilot, but the AEC trade really got my interest.

Heh, since they changed the vision reqirements, I won't accuse you of wearing glasses.

out of the 7 AECs currently waiting training that I know, 0 of them have pilot experience

Grando said:
out of the 7 AECs currently waiting training that I know, 0 of them have pilot experience

Did they go to air crew selection? If not perhaps the AEC Awareness Campaign is finally starting to pay off.

Aerospaced_out said:
If not perhaps the AEC Awareness Campaign is finally starting to pay off.

I would say the campaign is paying off.  I'm AEC (BMOQ in august) & it was my first and only choice...oh, and for the record I have no pilot experience either...

Well, that certainly is good news.

Of those that are selecting AEC as a first choice, what was it that made you decide on AEC?

Aerospaced_out said:
Well, that certainly is good news.

Of those that are selecting AEC as a first choice, what was it that made you decide on AEC?

Well, I have an IT-related desk job right now working in an office environment in addition to being a PRes member. Got a BSc in Comp Sci from SFU so I know I meet the entrance educational req for AEC. Always been good with processing large amounts of data mentally in front of a monitor screen, which I assume is a plus in this trade. What really got me interested though, was after seeing a documentary (on Discovery or History channel, I forgot which) showcasing how varies aircraft are staffed & operated. This particular episode showed how the Aurora & Sentry aircrafts are run, and what AECs do on the job. Got me interested so I started looking into the trade.

I have a similar story to IBM.  I have an IT background, and most of a BSc. Comp Sci (I'm CEOTP).  A few years back I also saw a documentary where the AEC role was featured (I think it was on the military channel). 

When I decided it was time to join the CF, I had the opportunity to meet with 2 AEC officers to discuss the role.  I was sold!  I can't wait to actually get going...

Basic computer skills are always a benefit, but remember AEC is more like getting paid to play video games than it is to code them :)

Aerospaced_out said:
Basic computer skills are always a benefit, but remember AEC is more like getting paid to play video games than it is to code them :)

Getting paid to play video games? Wow, this sounds better than I thought. I can't really code stuff that well (not that kind of IT person), but I'm really into gaming ;D.

Are you an AEC yourself, Aerospaced? Or been in the trade before? It just sounds like from your postings so far you are really knowledgable about AEC's.

Except that when ATC screws up and make 2 dots 1 on the screen, people actually die. There is no reset button.

SupersonicMax said:
Except that when ATC screws up and make 2 dots 1 on the screen, people actually die. There is no reset button.

Poor thing, unable to think in 3D?

3D spatial reasoning is a key aptitude for AEC. Any AEC grad would tell you that two dots meeting as one is fine so long as you have altitude seperation. :p

Back