• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is PT done every morning at BMQ?

mswirski

Inactive
Reaction score
I was under the impression that PT was done every single morning at St Jean.

I noticed a reference to "PT mornings" in the BMQ tips thread.

Pardon me if this is common knowledge, but how many times a week do you have morning PT?

If it is not every day, what would normally happen in the mornings instead?

Finally, are there evening PT sessions?

I'm particularly concerned about the number of times we run 5km+ a week.

Right now I run 3-4x a week.

Thanks!

Things might have changed, but when I did BMQ (in 2006, so not long ago really) PT started after the physical fitness test.. So day.. 2? or 3? And it happens every morning, except when you are in the field. Evening PT happens if you piss off your instructors. You will be running a lot. And when you're not running, you will be marching everywhere.

Yes you will do PT every morning. It may not always be running, but there will be PT.

Thank you for the replies.

How many times a week will there be 5km+ running in the morning?

As I said, I run 3-4x a week now. I'm wondering if I should work on increasing distance and speed, or if I should work on getting up to 5x a week running 5km.

I realize there will be plenty of other activity, but I am already training for that outside of my runs.

Thanks again.

when I did basic last year, we did pt every second day, build up the run distance over the length of the course. a lot of people who show up can not run 5k right off the bat.

You really don't get told how far you are running. It's O'dark and early, hard to judge distances, especially if you are unfamiliar with the area. Basically you run until your instructors decide they are done.
The speed is also determined by your instructors, so you may be sprinting one day and doing a long slow run the next.
They try to let you have enough time after morning PT to shower, change and get to breakfast, so you are usually done by 0600hrs-ish.
Mornings where there is no PT, classes usually start a little earlier. Or there is an inspection scheduled. The course senior should have the schedule for that week. 

mswirski said:

As I said, I run 3-4x a week now. I'm wondering if I should work on increasing distance and speed, or if I should work on getting up to 5x a week running 5km.

I realize there will be plenty of other activity, but I am already training for that outside of my runs.

Thanks again.

I have to ask, why are you concerned about 3 or more +5km runs a week? How far are you running now?

As a baseline, if you can run (run all the way, not just shuffle/walk) 10km in under 1hr you should be ok.

mswirski said:

Thanks again.

I wouldn't be worried much about speed, work on endurance. The longest run I've ever done at battleschool was 10k. As TTG said, steadily run, not shuffle/walk.

Even running every day, the course is unlikely to take up the time to run a full 5k every time. There's still plenty of running in circuit training, though.

Towards_the_gap said:
I have to ask, why are you concerned about 3 or more +5km runs a week? How far are you running now?

I'm running 5k 3x a week, sometimes 4x a week. At this point I feel my legs need a rest day in between runs most of the time.

I can build up distance fine. I'll probably be near 7km by the time I go to bmq.

However, I'm also doing lots of strength and endurance training outside of running.

If we are going to be running long distance more than 3-4 times a week, I'll need to put that other training on hold while I build to 5x a week.

So it is simply a question of how my time would be better spent.

Work on strength and endurance. If you can keep 5k at a moderate pace you'll be fine for BMQ. Strength training should be higher priority as you'll be running around all the time anyway.

As mentioned, throw in the marching everywhere.  Drill classes.  And of course, the many trips up and down stairs.  Lots and lots of stairs.

You mentioned something about feeling like you need a rest day; I say don't ignore that little voice from your body.  It needs time to rest/heal to get stronger/faster/etc.

Train hard, but don't over-train especially the 1 or 2 weeks preceding your arrival thru the Green Doors. 

:2c:

Eye In The Sky said:
As mentioned, throw in the marching everywhere.  Drill classes.  And of course, the many trips up and down stairs.  Lots and lots of stairs.

You mentioned something about feeling like you need a rest day; I say don't ignore that little voice from your body.  It needs time to rest/heal to get stronger/faster/etc.

Train hard, but don't over-train especially the 1 or 2 weeks preceding your arrival thru the Green Doors. 

:2c:

On that note, without just wimping out because something's tough, listen to your body on course. I've had injuries aggravated that may lead to lifelong problems. I know others who do have such lifelong problems because of inexperienced instructors leading PT (particularly obstacle courses and BFT workup) and not respecting when a troop says that they are hurt and need to fall out.

Know yourself and listen to your body. And, of course, be in the best shape that you can before you get there.

Yup!

Know the difference between:

hurt (injured and will potentially get worse if you keep pushin' thru)

and

hurting (you are past your normal point of comfort, but can go on...you just need to tell yourself to push thru).

Nothing wrong with pushin' thru if you are hurting.  Doing it when you are hurt...well if the staff has half a brain they will know the difference and do their job.

Whatever the case know that you can't go in being too fit. Your fitness level is the only thing that you have control over as well as your attitude. You will see recruits who should've shown up fitter and who wake up everyday stressing about that days PT as well as all the other stresses that the staff will layer on top. Do yourself a favour and show up as fit as you possibly can.

mswirski said:
I was under the impression that PT was done every single morning at St Jean.

I noticed a reference to "PT mornings" in the BMQ tips thread.

Pardon me if this is common knowledge, but how many times a week do you have morning PT?

If it is not every day, what would normally happen in the mornings instead?

Finally, are there evening PT sessions?

I'm particularly concerned about the number of times we run 5km+ a week.

Right now I run 3-4x a week.

Thanks!

Honestly, there won't be as much running as everyone said in this post. You will have pt a lot for the first probably 6-7 weeks, after that, you barely have pt anymore. The most our platoon has ran at one time was 8km and it was at your own pace with PSP staff. You however will be doing a lot of push ups and planks. Work on your core muscles if anything.

It also depends on your staff. My staff liked running a lot. So we ran frequently.

jemcgrg said:
It also depends on your staff. My staff liked running a lot. So we ran frequently.

Did your PT taper off after your course passed the fitness test?

ObedientiaZelum said:
Did your PT taper off after your course passed the fitness test?

Not when we were in garrison we will had it often. In the field you don't do PT so that's 3 weeks no PT. And your grad week you don't really do much PT.

jemcgrg said:
Not when we were in garrison we will had it often. In the field you don't do PT so that's 3 weeks no PT. And your grad week you don't really do much PT.

But you also do 6 hours of drill for 3 days! YAYYY

Back