• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is Remembrance Day dead?

I had the pleasure of attending the Remembrance Day ceremony at a local school here in Edmonton. Myself and another Suppie went in and split on a speach to the school. There were only about 170 students, but I was pleased at how attentive they were. Afterwords we went around and did a little Q&A, which the kiddies were more than eager to participate in. I don't think it's everywhere that there is a lack of respect, just some that don't get it.

Piper said:
You can only attend one, the school one and city one will run past 1100. I suggest the city one, it's better.

I'll be there........11th Field afterwards.

benny88 said:
Whoa very cool story. I doubt I'll be back from Victoria Park in time, but I'll ask friends who were on campus to see if things are still the same at UWO. I've been relatively impressed with the number of poppies on campus so far, and they ran a reasonably nice service in the University Community Centre last year.

Good to know that UWO still does it at the UCC.  I had been involved with the school's ceremony every year I've been in, and it felt comforting to know that the crowd was larger and more responsive each year to the service and the week of preparation/awareness beforehand.

I`ll be going to the Cenotaph in Esquimalt for the Rememberance Day ceremoney with my daughter as hubby is working. Hubby and I would normally go back to the Legion while she went home but he has to work. So we will do a mom and daughter thing after. Being a Navy town I see alot of Poppy`s. The store I work at now stop`s at 11 again. When I was in Vancouver on the weekend I saw alot of Poppy`s being worn and a Cadet with a tray downtown Vancouver. Just got to keep the school`s teaching Canadian history of our great Veteran`s efforts to keep us the way we are.

..and to answer the original question, no, if anything it is getting stronger. [I remember the only reason I joined this site
six years ago today was to answer this very same question]

Lets just not forget that we have thousands and thousands right now wondering where they are going to find another job so that they can keep their house and feed their kids.
I'm sure its a little hard to remember/honour the past when you wonder if you have a future.....................

Is Remembrance Day dead? I don't think so. I think there's a mild resurgence of respect.

Just came from the ceremony at Toronto's Old City hall. My impression is that it is better attended then previous years, and echoing another post here I see more poppies on the street, or so it seems. I was doubly impressed that many people around me sang the National Anthem. They may have been very quiet about it, sort of under their breath, but it was there and I was proud of them. Now I was a kid back when the National Anthem would play at movies and people would stand up sing...that' s a long time ago. I'll bet if the choir had sung the English stanza and French stanza's in their entirety, rather then a confusing French English mix, more would have been singing.

I was very pleased to hear, the union here at work was having a meeting and they stopped for a minute of silence. That was unexpected and very respectful.

I do wonder how remembrance may change once the Great War armistice passes it's 100th anniversary.  WW2 is also getting distant in memory, and later conflicts, for whatever reasons, are not firmly in the public's view as grand or noble sacrifices.

I believe Remembrance Day is very much alive in spite of unfortunate events like that veteran being kicked out of the Bay as discussed in another thread.

Happy Remembrance Day to all and Happy Veterans' Day to our American friends!!!  :salute:  :cdn:

CougarDaddy said:
I believe Remembrance Day is very much alive in spite of unfortunate events like that veteran being kicked out of the Bay as discussed in another thread.

Happy Remembrance Day to all and Happy Veterans' Day to our American friends!!!  :salute:  :cdn:
Where is this other thread. The Bay kicked out a vet??? I'd like to read that. Just on our way to Esquimalt for the Ceremony.

Just a quick comment on today's services.

A very moving event all in all. Readings, music, visuals (past and present) and a very reverent atmosphere made for a great experience. I really think that the students got a lot out of it. Let's hope it carries through the other 364 days of the year.

Is Remembrance Day dead?
As a civilians point of view, I stood there and cried at the ceremony, remembering all the past and present battles and knowing that there is alot of other battles being fought that we don't hear about.I wish I could know every soldiers story. Thank you, I truly thank each and evey one of you,for who you are and what you stand for.
with all my respects J,L
P,S I have a poppy for every coat I own, that way I am never without

I've heard some people complaining that stores like wal-mart don't really care. Apperntly a lot of stores where putting out x-mas decorations and what not as soon as november hit.

Last night, my Scout Group of Beavers, Cubs and Scouts, stood at the town's vigil.  For two hours or so, our youth stood with candles around the cenotaph, along with other local townspeople.  I'm tearing up now, and wish I could have been there...darn shift work! pics to follow is any.
:cdn:

A very nice thing happened today at the Cenotaph that made me think Remembrance day is alive and well. A woman in her 80's came up to me and mentioned her father had been in the RAF and she had been born in Zimbabwe. After a quick chat, I thanked her for coming over and introducing herself. She said "No, thank you." and went on her way.

There will always be a few bad apples in every bunch, but in all I feel that rememberance day is alive and well. I was at the parade this morning here in London at Victoria park and the crowd seems to get bigger every year.

Heres to all who served and didn't come back  :salute:  :cdn:

Pro-Patria.

Lest we forget.

I was driving my taxi today (I also quit today for financial reasons)... anyhoo. At a couple of minutes before 11:00am I was dispatched to a call. I picked her up and on the way to her destination it rolled to 11:00 and the radio started the bugle playing. she started to talk. I told her to be quiet, and respect the 11:00 moment of silence. She stayed quiet the rest of the way to the destination. I gave her the trip for free, parked the car, got out and stood at attention for the rest of service (on the radio).

I also attended the weekend service in Hamilton. Good turnout by our soldiers in town. I would have liked to have seen more civilians in the crowd paying their respects.

Nites

CougarDaddy said:

Whats with this Happy Remembrance Day stuff?  I've never heard of it before today.  Its not friggin New Years Eve.  To me, its like saying "congratulations" to the family of the deceased at a funeral, *in bad taste*.  Is it just me?

Sitting in the library right now (trying to work on a term paper) at UofT, Scarborough campus.  So far, I am the only one wearing a poppy on campus.  Although I did catch a glimpse of someone in their DEUs (I didn't get a good look at the writing on the jacket, but they were wearing what looked like a Navy hat; it is similar to the police ones).

Eye In The Sky said:
Whats with this Happy Remembrance Day stuff?  I've never heard of it before today.  Its not friggin New Years Eve.  To me, its like saying "congratulations" to the family of the deceased at a funeral, *in bad taste*.  Is it just me?

Agree 100%! To me there's nothing "happy" about today. Far too many friends have died serving their country, and I take absolutely no joy in their deaths.

Maybe it should be like the Isrealis have, "shabbot shaloam", meaning "have a peaceful sabboth"?
"Have a Peaceful Remembrance Day"

...and to many more  :salute:
:cdn:

This made me teary eyed...thought I would share...

The Poppy Man...

An old man stands on the sidewalk
dressed in a uniform
one size to small
five decades old
smelling of mothballs
the last of his regiment
but each crease is sharp
every button gleaming
the collar perfectly starched
on his chest are ribbons and medals
his bearing is erect
pride and dignity shine in his eyes
and in his gnarled hands sits a box
in the box are plastic poppies on a pin
the old man waits for people to notice
he is sure they will stop
take a poppy
and contribute a quarter or two
after all Remembrance Day is coming
they will remember
they will take a poppy to wear
to show their pride and gratitude
He stands patiently
watching as the people walk by
the older people stop
smile, take a poppy, put a dollar in the can
for they remember as he does
a few others stop,
take a poppy, drop in some change
smile and tell him about
their dad or uncle or grandpa
but they are few
a few snicker
laughing at the old man
commenting on how ridiculous he looks
in his old, too small uniform
standing out in the cold
others look at him with pity
for the poor old man
living in the past
but he continues to stand there
his bearing a little less erect
a moistness gleaming in his eyes
but then he straightens
for he is a soldier
he answered when his country called
he served his nation
with everything he had
he offered his life for others
they will remember
he knows it
some young ones approach
but to him they're all young
it's hard to tell their age
they stop next to him
they understand he thinks
realize what he did
want to honour those died in the war
to say thank you to the few who remain
they know that their freedom was won
by him and others like him
he smiles with pride
then it happens
the one speaks
"It was so long ago"
"ancient history"
"forget about it"
"go home Old Man"
"No one cares anymore"
the old man's face crumbles
tears shine in his eyes
his bearing is no longer erect
the pain radiates around him
far worse pain
than anything caused during the war
he is now nothing but an old man
dressed in a uniform
one size to small
five decades old
smelling of mothballs
with a box of plastic poppies on pins

written by Maria Sutherland Oct. 1998

I wanted to share this with everyone because everytime I see a Veteran I stop and say Thank you. I don't have to ask where he fought or what he did. All I want is for him to know that someone appreciates what he did for our FREEDOM!

Lest We Forget
HL

Back