• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is the internet stick useful?

the_girlfirend

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi!

My boyfriend and I are both beginning a career in the CF.
We will be in training for the months to come.
We are thinking about getting the internet stick from Rogers.

Do you think that it could be useful to have a laptop and the internet stick for phase 2-3-4?
In general what do you think about the internet stick?
Also is there wifi on CF bases?

Thank you very much

the_girlfriend:

You have to realize that the stick is NOT available country wide yet. I sure wish it was in my area, but after talking to Rogers, it's going to only be here in 3-5 years. It also uses a cell connection so I can almost guarantee you that it will be more expensive than cable or land line.

tango22a

I have a very good friend who frequents Gagetown for Training.  He was most pleased with having a stick, as he had wired connections in the shacks in the past and the stick gave him more freedom of movement.  I am curious whether you will be sharing one or getting two connections. 

Good luck on course.

The internet stick will be for my boyfriend, I think I will be fine with a blackberry or something like that...
He will probably spend most of his time in Gagetown.

Thank you very much,

anybody else has an advice?

the_girlfriend said:
The internet stick will be for my boyfriend, I think I will be fine with a blackberry or something like that...
He will probably spend most of his time in Gagetown.

Thank you very much,

anybody else has an advice?

Rather than a stick, I used a basic Roger's cell modem a couple years back. Base accommodations was being a pain in the ass with regards to internet connections, so we went with a cellular link, hooked it up to a wireless router, and split the cost.

It was about $20/month, plus a little for hookup and some more for the router. Connection waqs pretty reliable and speeds were adequate after sharing with as many as a dozen without heavy downloads.

The modem goes in the window for line of sight, presuming that there's a cell tower in the right direction. It can get a signal without unobstructed line of sight, but signal strength's stronger with one.

the_girlfriend said:

If you're going officer, you may want to hold off on buying a BlackBerry.  It seems that now they're issued upon BMOQ graduation.

I'm kidding.  You probably won't get one until you're at least a Capt/Lt(N).

Unless you're posted to Ottawa, that is.  ;D

;D too bad I will have to buy one... but if I get to Captain I will be very happy to get a new one  ;D

Thank you very much everyone,

should I understand that every base offers wired connection?

Re: Blackberries.  They are connected to the Defence Information Network, and not all captains get them.  Usually only senior staff (eg: adjutant, operations officer, etc.)

For personal usage internet, be prepared to buy and maintain this on your own dime, just as other Canadians are expected to. 

Wired Connections can be arranged in most (if not all) bases, but on your dime and through your own arrangements  in the barracks.

Technoviking said:
Re: Blackberries.  They are connected to the Defence Information Network, and not all captains get them.  Usually only senior staff (eg: adjutant, operations officer, etc.)

I was (mostly) kidding.  That said, in Ottawa, they seem to be standard issue for officers, regardless of position.

I'd love to see the stats on it.

Gagetown seems to be a titled/position issue.  I can not immagine every course Officer, Staff O having a BB, but I do own a personal one.

I believe an internet stick can be very useful, I am in the midst of BMQ right now, and plan on having a stick to take back with me when my leave ends in Jan.

I have looked into both Rogers and Telus. Telus offers a 21.1mbps model and a 7mbps model. the 21.1 is free on a 2 or 3 year contract, the 7 is free on a 1,2 or 3 year contract

Rogers offers a 21.1mpbs that is free on a 2 or 3 year contract

both have $35 one time activation fees. The plans are also comparable  (pretty much exactly the same) however I believe Telus offers a $5/month discount if you have 2 other services with them.

Hope this information has been useful

Instead of a stick, I would go with an iPhone...

I had a stick and lost it, its is quite small, easy to loose, and you can to leave it attached to your computer...

If you get an iPhone, you do not need a second line, you can tether your internet connection to your laptop, you can do that via USB cable or even better, bluetooth, which mean, you can have your phone in your pocket, and be working on your laptop. I think you will also get much better coverage as well, but slower. When I do a speed test I get 2.1 megabits in Vancouver, stick claims to be 21 megabits but is very limited. I think 2.1 is more than enough for regular web surfing, maybe not so much for downloading movies....

I am not even going to go into other benefits of iPhone.

cheers

I know a few business execs who use the stick and it suits their workstyle completely - able to check messages and reports anyplace anytime on a screen with a good-sized laptop instead of squinting at a tiny screen and trying to work a miniature keyboard with big fingers (actual quote!). 

However, they are not cheap - I checked into it and got quoted between $350-600 a year depending on what features you want, and like a previous poster said, it covers a lot of area but not all areas of Canada have complete cell coverage.

In the end, it all depends on whether the cost is worth the time you use it.  It gives you the freedom to surf the net when in BSQ's that dont have WiFi or cords, but how much time will you have to use it what with the demands of training?

Thanks Girlfriend for starting this tread, I had the same question.
I will probably be in Esquimalt for a year and a half after St-Jean and I was wondering what was the best for Internet connexion (I have a laptop).
Does anyone know if we can get Internet easily on that base ?

Back