• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is there controversy over Latest Awards to AFG Troops ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTrack

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that there are hundreds of circumstances that are similar to those mentioned that our forces have encountered.  I am intensely proud of each and every one of you who have served our country so well.  This country cannot thank you (and your families that are holding down the fort at home) enough.  Bravo Zulu !

MEDAL OF MILITARY VALOUR

Corporal John David Makela, M. M. V.

Way to go John.

And ontrack is 100% right. There are tons of guys who deserve awards for some amazing stuff but aren't recognized for it officially unfortinuately.

Flawed Design said:
Way to go John.

And ontrack is 100% right. There are tons of guys who deserve awards for some amazing stuff but aren't recognized for it officially unfortinuately.

I know this couldnt be the case but shouldnt I see lots of NCM's to recognize acts of gallantry as opposed to the "Gallantly Led" default medal?
I understand that someone has to get the medal but do they just find the "Gallant Leader" rather than recognize individual acts of heroism? I see shades of a story in Bosnia where the decorated Major "Gallantly led his engineers by directing their de mining progress through a minefield from his bunker".
If the Commander is recognized and his Subordinates are not, maybe they should only send Commanders next time?

hank011 said:
I know this couldnt be the case but shouldnt I see lots of NCM's to recognize acts of gallantry as opposed to the "Gallantly Led" default medal?
I understand that someone has to get the medal but do they just find the "Gallant Leader" rather than recognize individual acts of heroism? I see shades of a story in Bosnia where the decorated Major "Gallantly led his engineers by directing their de mining progress through a minefield from his bunker".
If the Commander is recognized and his Subordinates are not, maybe they should only send Commanders next time?

You're so very right.  Major Fletcher is my OC, don't get me wrong he was in the thick of it but I have yet to see ONE soldier in my company who deserves it get recognized yet 4 NCOS and 2 Officers have been awarded medals.  Sad how the Private and Corporal always get shafted and the giving of Awards has turned into a "You're my buddy, you deserve something" mentality.

TheHead said:
You're so very right.  Major Fletcher is my OC, don't get me wrong he was in the thick of it but I have yet to see ONE soldier in my company who deserves it get recognized yet 4 NCOS and 2 Officers have been awarded medals.   Sad how the Private and Corporal always get shafted and the giving of Awards has turned into a "You're my buddy, you deserve something" mentality.

Do you know of anyone, personally, who is worthy of being considered?.  If so, nominate them yourself.  Write it up, get witness statements, substantiate the bejeezus out of it and push it up the C of C. 

Piffle..... give it time.

With respect to senior officers getting awards...... Their superiors recommended them for the awards
With respect to junior officers & NCOs getting awards.... their unit's senior officers have to nominate them for the awards....

The senior officers nominations, by their nature, bypassed the lower level of recommendations & nominations....

Am certain that they did not chase after the gongs - someone with higher means put in the citations............

So.... Head & Hank.... please park the attitude - it's not called for.

Wow.  I am currently commanded by Maj. Wright.  Well done.  Excellent officer.  I'd go to battle with him any day.

TheHead said:
You're so very right.  Major Fletcher is my OC, don't get me wrong he was in the thick of it but I have yet to see ONE soldier in my company who deserves it get recognized yet 4 NCOS and 2 Officers have been awarded medals.   Sad how the Private and Corporal always get shafted and the giving of Awards has turned into a "You're my buddy, you deserve something" mentality.

My My mY,

That chip on your shoulder appears to be a 2 by four....

lighten up francis,  whatever happened to the humble Canadian soldier?

dileas

tess

I don't doubt that all these soldiers were deserving of their awards...but there is no use complaining about it

Just go to the War Museum and check out the medal displays....the officers always have a large rack compared to the common soldier

Did they do more?  Not likely but it is a fact of life that officers get awared for being great leaders on the backs of the soldiers doing the dirty work and history has proven that

When it comes down to it the guys know the job they have done as well as their comrades and that is what really counts

I'm inclined to agree with head and hank.

In talking to a lot of the battle group guys some of the stories about privates anbd corporals is just amazing.
I remember one story of a guy in which my first thoughts were wow thats right out of a movie. He got a pat on the back.
Obviously you can take the 'in doing what we ought we deserve no praise for it is our duty' road but still.

I don't think it's a case where officers get awards and troops get shafted at all but some VERY deserving guys are deffinatly getting overlooked (so far). With luck in time more stuff will come down the CoC.

geo said:

I thought it was a good exchange of ideas until you became judgemental...I gave no attitude ???

Flawed Design said:
I'm inclined to agree with head and hank.

In talking to a lot of the battle group guys some of the stories about privates anbd corporals is just amazing.
I remember one story of a guy in which my first thoughts were wow thats right out of a movie. He got a pat on the back.
Obviously you can take the 'in doing what we ought we deserve no praise for it is our duty' road but still.

I don't think it's a case where officers get awards and troops get shafted at all but some VERY deserving guys are deffinatly getting overlooked (so far). With luck in time more stuff will come down the CoC.

1.  Who says that the troops have not been nominated for the award?
The fact that someone gets it before the other does not signify that nominations aren't still making their way thru the bureaucracy.

A Haggis stated yesterday,
Do you know of anyone, personally, who is worthy of being considered?.  If so, nominate them yourself.  Write it up, get witness statements, substantiate the bejeezus out of it and push it up the C of C. 

geo said:
Piffle..... give it time.

With respect to senior officers getting awards...... Their superiors recommended them for the awards
With respect to junior officers & NCOs getting awards.... their unit's senior officers have to nominate them for the awards....

The senior officers nominations, by their nature, bypassed the lower level of recommendations & nominations....

Am certain that they did not chase after the gongs - someone with higher means put in the citations............

I gave no attitude at all. Thank you.

geo said:
1.  Who says that the troops have not been nominated for the award?
The fact that someone gets it before the other does not signify that nominations aren't still making their way thru the bureaucracy.

A Haggis stated yesterday,

Yes I do know people who personally were nominated, people who went above and beyond some of the people already awarded, and they were squashed due to this popularity contest going on.

Sorry to disagree, but the two of you showed rather 'rabid' attitudes in this topic.  Just go back and reread your 'rants'.

Topic split to debate if there is or is not a controversy to be dealt with in this matter.

Troops, there is nothing new here. My father in Korea went on patrol, got compromised and fought their way back to friendlies. Later they were asked to pick a number and the winner was nominated for some bravery medal(my father can't remember which one) but that's the way it was. I'm sure in time the lower ranks will be honoured and as others have said, if you see something particularly heroic or brave write up the nomination yourself and be sure to include witness statements and anything else that might substantiate it.

Kudos to Maj Wright, a very good officer.

Also I'd like to apologize for the wording of my initial comment. I didn't make a stab at Major Fletcher, he deserves the award fully.  When I said Soldier I meant Pte/Cpl I worded that badly.

Is it possible that there were simply too many to award this go round? I'd like to believe that maybe some of the guys who deserve it might be recognized during a later announcement.....

Investigations (good ones like theses!) take time to sort out, awards to approve?

I'm usually the pessimist when it comes to the system, but from me a "well done" to the recipients. I've often heard that for every official recognition of a military nature that there are 10 others who go un noticed.

My $.02

:salute: :cdn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back