• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is there Wireless Internet in Kandahar

katamori

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm going to be deployed at KAF in August with the TF 03-07 and I'm trying to find out if the rumour is true : "there is a Internet wireless service available at a monthly fee in KAF"  Presently nobody can answer me if it's true or not.

I'll appreciate if somebody who came back from there or who as reliable information on that subject

cheers

Yes there is but I don't know how it works, like getting access to it and all.  I know he pays something.   

I'm talking to my buddy right now who is there.  (he has a laptop)

Great!

Tks for the help. I can wait to have real info from the ground

I know that there is some there in KAF....how to get access, well...I didn't have enough time to get that one figured out.

The welfare phones the Yanks have used to have jacks open for the US internet provider, free to all troops. Not sure if they still have that open anymore.

The Canadian welfare computers are up and running though, with the added bonus of not having any other nation pinning to get on them.

My 0.02 donkey dollars worth

Regards

katamori said:
Hi there

I'm going to be deployed at KAF in August with the TF 03-07 and I'm trying to find out if the rumour is true : "there is a Internet wireless service available at a monthly fee in KAF"  Presently nobody can answer me if it's true or not.

I'll appreciate if somebody who came back from there or who as reliable information on that subject

cheers

Yes there is wireless in KAF.  It's run by the US troops so you have to inquire through the CoC and it takes a while.  It doesn't reach the whole base and some of the Canadian areas don't get it at all.  When I was there it cost something like $80 a month or more, was down more than it was up (due to comms black outs) and was slower than dial up.

You're better off with the welfare trailer.

Good luck over there, and keep your head down.

If your with the BG you will not be in KAF enough to enjoy it during the next 6 months.

Something else to think about for those too lazy to walk to the welfare computers....wireless internet in Afghanistan is NOT secure. Use at your own risk.

There is wireless internet in KAF but be prepared to pull your hair out.

It's getting better, slowly.
It comes in good around the old Canada house with the NSE/NCE types (not sure about the new one and the battlegroup living quarters).Lots of people walk over to Canada house with their laptops and plug in.  Depending on where you are in the tent lines you can get it in your room but during peek ours (1pm to about 11pm theres so many people on it you can't often connect). I USED to get it lae at night but not now. Buddy int he tent next to me gets it constantly.
They play with it a lot. Password protected, open, using your phone card number. Testing what works.
Some days it's good, some dys the signal will cut off every hour.

The canadian wireless is currently free.  (You can pay for other connections like the US or dutch but their expensive, ESPECIALLY the dutch)
Like Piper said, if your battlegroup you won't have much time at all to go on wireless.

In my opinion the wireless isn't stable enough to pay for it yet.  though I guess if your in kaf and don't mind hanging out at canada house it may be worth it because the line ups for the net can be crazy. Especially with jerks logging over and over and over instead of the 30 minute limit.

I heard from a sgt-major type that the company doing the wireless wants to charge the CF $100'000 a month for wireless. I don't wanna imagine how much the CF would charge people for wireless service.

Yeah - it's a hell of a lot better now than when they first offered it in October. Still spotty, unfortunately, I'm on it now (just before 1900), but that's a first. I generally can't get on from my tent space until after 2300hrs. That said, heck, I'm not complaining - it's definitely a luxury. For REMFs, we're treated fairly well.

16 days...  ;D

Works good at old Canada House, I wasn't able to pickup a signal yet at the new one.

What about access at any of the other locations in A-stan???

Are there many spots available for your personal laptop to be pluged in for the BG pers ???

Wireless internet is not particularly secure.  Using wireless, you are transmitting information that can be intercepted relatively easily - and most users will be communicating with friends and family.

Think about that for a minute, and then decide whether the "convenience" of wireless is really worth it.

dapaterson said:
Wireless internet is not particularly secure.  Using wireless, you are transmitting information that can be intercepted relatively easily - and most users will be communicating with friends and family.

Think about that for a minute, and then decide whether the "convenience" of wireless is really worth it.

;D

Cell phones, Wireless phones, Wireless Networks........amazing how many people think they are secure.......when all they are are radio transmitters/receivers.......EW folk love them.

;D

I believe that the US firefighters have stable wireless service available based out of the firehall.  They sell access to the service if I remember correctly for a reasonable amount.  Not sure if it is still there but you could check that out.

The old Canada house still has wirless internet.  Before I left they were suppossed to also have it at the new Canada house sometime.

doesn't anyone read books anymore?  ???
Actually I'm kinda pissed that Kandahar has better internet then I do at home.
I can't even get high speed

Alright then, I did lots of "professional development" during my time there. :D

Back