• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Italian hostage believes U.S. troops targeted her

Quiet Riot

Inactive
Reaction score
Italian hostage believes U.S. troops targeted her
CTV.ca News Staff

The Italian journalist who was freed by her Iraqi captors is suggesting U.S. troops deliberately tried to kill her as she approached a Baghdad checkpoint upon her release.

Giuliana Sgrena, who writes for the left-wing daily newspaper Il Manifesto, said her Iraqi captors warned her U.S. forces "might intervene."

The shooting has fuelled anti-American sentiments in Italy, where the people were deeply upset by their prime minister's decision to deploy the nation's troops to Iraq.

In an article in the paper titled "La mia verita" or "My truth," Sgrena described how gunfire from U.S. forces erupted, in what she believed to be a deliberate ambush.

The gunfire wounded her in the shoulder and killed the Italian secret service agent who negotiated her release.

"It was the happiest and also the most dangerous moment," Sgrena wrote.

"If we had run into someone, meaning American troops, there would have been an exchange of fire, and my captors were ready and they would have responded."

"The fact that the Americans don't want negotiations to free the hostages is known," Sgrena told Sky TG24 television by telephone.

"The fact that they do everything to prevent the adoption of this practice to save the lives of people held hostages, everybody knows that. So I don't see why I should rule out that I could have been the target."

In her article she wrote that Nicola Calipari, the Italian secret service agent, dove on top of her when the barrage of bullets hit their car. She felt his last breath as he died, she said. An autopsy has shown that Calipari died instantly after being struck in the temple by a single round.

Sgrena recounts that she suddenly remembered a warning from her captors : "To be careful because the Americans don't want you to return."

The U.S. military said the Americans flashed white lights, used hand and arm signals and fired warning shots in an effort to get the speeding Italian car to stop.

But in an interview with Italian La 7 TV, Sgrena said there were no bright lights, no signals, and the car was moving at "regular speed."

The U.S. military has promised a full investigation.

After her return on Saturday, Sgrena was taken to a hospital where she later met with Calipari's wife, according to the Italian news agency Apcom.

Calipari will lie in state at Rome's Vittoriano monument and a state funeral is planned for Monday. He will be awarded posthumously with a gold medal of valour for his heroism.

In an statement posted on the Il Manifesto's website, editor Gabriele Polo writes that their joy lasted but a few minutes after hearing of Sgrena's release.

Polo writes: "We got a comrade back. We lost someone who would have become our friend."

Officials have not confirmed the details that led to Sgrena's release.

An Iraqi lawmaker, Youdaam Youssef Kanna told Belgian state TV that he had unofficial information that $1 million US ransom was paid for Sgrena to be set free, Apcom reported.

Sgrena was abducted by armed men near Baghdad University on Feb. 4.

Sgrena had been working for Il Manifesto, a newspaper that criticized the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq and Berlusconi's deployment of the nation's troops.

With files from The Associated Press

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1110114325721_105523525/?hub=CTVNewsAt11

She takes her journalism too seriously....

Infanteer said:
She takes her journalism too seriously....
I think I actually agree with you this time.   It seems to be a dishonour to the Italian Secret Service agent who died rescuing her that she is using the incident as a pulpit to sell newpapers from.

Only the lefties who read her pink paper could swallow this as a realistic idea. Just think about the diffculties invoved in trying to set this up, for a start. And, for what? To have the world media, yet again, plaster a story about US troops killing people at a roadblock by mistake? To kill a rather unimportant Italian left-wing journalist? That would really be calculated to encourage the Italians as an ally and win favour in Europe, wouldn't it? Right...

I can imagine how the various left-wing idiot fringe in Canada must be making a meal of this on their websites. Ho-hum.

What I would be more worried about is the fate of the poor guy commandng the roadblock, who probably did what he believed was right in a dangerous hostile county where many of his comrades and allies have been killed by VBIEDs and suicide bombers. Hopefully he will not be offered up as a sacrifice. Hopefully the investigation will reflect the facts.

Cheers

Well with all the things goin on in Iraq, if a speeding car was coming at my checkpoint and not stopping or slowing, I would probably open fire also.  Depending on many things of course (IntSum, threat level, if we were expecting the convoy).  But at the end of the day I would be going back to the shack, and not into a jam jar via a mop.

Not to oversimplify this but ......When someone with a bigger gun than you have tells you to stop , you should stop , if not .............

http://www.washtimes.com/world/20050307-120131-5769r.htm

$6-8 million ransom paid.
No coordination with US forces [because of the ransom]
Trying to run past a patrol/roadblock during curfew.
Presecription for someone getting hurt.

Wow, a $6 mil ransom?  No wonder her captors were being so nice when they released her :P  probably packed her a lunch too.

Ofcourse, only the loony left could accuse a squad of heavily armed men of attempting to assasinate a reporter, and somehow managing to fail.  Anyone with half a brain would realize that if her death had been their goal, noboy in that car would have survived.

Ofcourse, only the loony left could accuse a squad of heavily armed men of attempting to assasinate a reporter, and somehow managing to fail.

Yes..and I'm sure those bananas are having a field day with US conspiracy theories up the hoop. Next we will hear that Rumsfeld was the roadblock commander. Tin foil hats.....ON!

Cheers

pbi said:
Yes..and I'm sure those bananas are having a field day with US conspiracy theories up the hoop. Next we will hear that Rumsfeld was the roadblock commander. Tin foil hats.....ON!

Cheers

I smell a lawsuit in the offing  ::)

When will they learn. Brass works better than aluminium. :blotto: Like what 48Highlander said, if they really wanted to kill her, they would have reduced the car to a smoldering hunk of metal. The "conspiracy" doesn't make any sense. Killing a foreign journalist would be the last thing they would want, even if they were communist.

With this incident and the Bulgarian solider getting shot by US troops as well, sounds like some trigger fingers are itchy, and there may be some lax ROE's.  However you have to wonder why the Italians wouldnt stop if there was a checkpoint, what did they have to be afraid of from US troops?  On the other hand, you have to wonder why the US wont let the media or the Italians the car that they were driving in.  Either way its an our story vs .their story issue, which im sure the general public will never hear the real answer to.

2332Piper said:
If I'm in a place like that, and when speeding cars coming at you usually are followed by a rather large 'boom', I'd be just a little jumpy and would most likely open fire on a car that was speeding towards me, ignoring warnings etc etc. The US troops were simply doing what they are trained to do. Friendly fire happens.

That should go without saying, it's basic common sense.  A few months ago we did an exercise in toronto, part of which included setting up and manning checkpoints around the Denison armory.  "Intelligence" reports indicated we could be facing suicide bombers amongst other thrats, so one of the first things I did was set up a C9 position behind and to the side of the roadblock, and then verbaly verify that the troops all understood that it was their responsibility to blow away any vehicle which attempted to run through the checkpoint.  The civvies might have been a little upset if they'd known we were training to open fire on civilian vehicles, but that's too damn bad.  It's not their lives on the line.

I feel sorry for the US troops . How the heck are they supposed to know who is in that car that's racing at them and not obeying any signs to stop. The did what they where trained to do its sad but what else where they supposed to do wait for the car to blow up in front of them ?  Just my two cents worth

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-4850607,00.html

Berlusconi called Bush shortly after the shooting and demanded a full investigation into the attack, which took place after nightfall Friday as the car carrying Sgrena, intelligence officer Nicola Calipari, and two other agents approached Baghdad airport.

Calipari was killed, while Sgrena - kidnapped by insurgents on Feb. 4 - was wounded along with another intelligence officer.

Italian Foreign Minister Gianfranco Fini told parliament that U.S. troops killed Calipari by accident, but disputed Washington's version of events.

Fini said the car carrying Calipari and Sgrena was not speeding and U.S. troops did not order it to stop, contrary to what U.S. officials say. But Fini dismissed allegations made by Sgrena that the shooting was an ambush.

``It was an accident,'' Fini said. ``This does not prevent, in fact it makes it a duty for the government to demand that light be shed on the murky issues, that responsibilities be pinpointed, and, where found, that the culprits be punished.''

In Baghdad, the U.S.-led multinational force said follow-up investigation would be led by U.S. Brig. Gen. Peter Vangjel and that it would to take three to four weeks. Italian officials were invited to participate, the command said.

``The follow-on investigation to the Multi-National Division-Baghdad commander's initial inquiry into the incident is expected to take approximately three to four weeks to complete,'' it said in a statement.

Vangjel is the 18th Airborne Corps Artillery Commander and the investigation was ordered by the top U.S. commander in Iraq, Army Gen. George Casey.

In Washington, Casey said he had no indication that Italian officials gave advance notice of the car's route.

``I personally do not have any indication of that, even on a preliminary basis,'' Casey told reporters at the Pentagon.

The U.S. 3rd Infantry Division, which controls Baghdad, said after the shooting that the vehicle was ``traveling at high speeds'' and ``refused to stop at a checkpoint.''

A U.S. patrol ``attempted to warn the driver to stop by hand and arm signals, flashing white lights, and firing warning shots in front of the car,'' it said. ``When the driver didn't stop, the soldiers shot into the engine block which stopped the vehicle, killing one and wounding two others.''

In Rome, Fini said the Italian reconstruction ``doesn't fully coincide with what has been communicated by U.S. authorities,'' including on whether the car was speeding and if the occupants had been warned.

According to Fini the car was ``traveling at a speed that couldn't have been more than 25 miles per hour.'' A light, he said, was flashed at the car after a curve and that gunfire started immediately afterward. It last 15 to 20 seconds, he said.

The investigation into the Bulgarian soldier, killed near the central Iraqi city of Diwaniya, will focus on reports that he also may have been shot by U.S. troops.

``The Multi-National Forces-Iraq values greatly our partnership with Bulgaria in helping the Iraqis achieve democracy. We are committed to working with our Bulgarian partners to determine the cause of'' Gardi's death.

Casey also said he was concerned by the fact that the Bulgarian soldier may have been hit by U.S. gunfire.

``It's another unfortunate incident,'' he said. ``Again, both the Bulgarians and us are looking into exactly what happened up during that period, and we'll get to the bottom of it.''

I totally agree with you guys said. I, too , would have opened fire on this vehicule. I would'nt take any chance...

cheers!

Im just wondering if the packet commander was drunk.  "ok now were gonna run an American checkpoint...oh dont worry they probably only have no less than 3 support weapons and anti-armor capabilities"..."I don't care if its thier doctrine to open up on us" ...."ok...and GO!"....

My question or comment would be , why, especially if you are not the country in charge (biggest guns, most soldiers etc...) would you not let said country know what is going on ? Maybe things like letting the people on the barricades in on the secret so they don't shoot a speeding car can be worked out ? Sounds like someones intelligence service was trying to look good for the people back home .

http://wheels128.blogspot.com/2005/03/sgrenas-car-proves-she-lied.html

Pictures of the car Sgrena was driving in.

Your in Iraq, you know suicide bombers use cars packed with explosives and drive them towards US checkpoints to kill them.
You know that the americans assume most people know (by now) better than to drive at a check point in a manner that would likely seem threatening.
You know the US soldiers are probably a little scared of dying.
You know the americans will probably shoot first and ask later (I know i would)

the US deliberately targeted her? Fuck off. She's a nobody. She needs a kick in the head. Way to try and steal 15 more minutes in the spotlight.

It's unfortinuate there was loss of life but what the hell do you expect? 

Back