• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Its In! Saddam to be hanged NLT 27 Jan 07

I am out of my lane with international law, but I would imagine that if someone really felt they needed to prosecute Sadam for the rest of his crap, they could.  Just do the trial ex-parte and base it on facts. 
Why?  No good reason I can think of, unless it would bring closure to the victims or help them get some sort of restitution. 
Of course, if that did happen it would be for some stated candy coated reason, but in reality would actually  be for the purpose of paying some UN committee made up of insider toadies an ungodly amount of money to look into it for a few years.  :p

Now maybe i got this wrong or the media did (likely).  is there not a law that prevents anyone 70 and older from being executed in Iraq?  I thought that I heard that.  And was Saddam close to that age?  69, turning 70 in April?

Wes?  Someone else who might be better informed than me?

So if all this is true then Justice (and I don't mean the law) would not have been served in the end by bringing his other crimes to trial (long long process, read: years) as he would have escaped his ultimate fate due to a technical loophole.

So, Blackwatch, although your sentiment about bringing his other crimes to trial is not lost on me (it would have been nice but not practical), the need for justice is greater in this case (for me anyway) than any sense of state rights or what not.

Anyways, about the videos, does not do any good for anyone.  A shame really.  We have to be above that kind of crap.  I for one will not be going to see that s**t on You Tube.  I'm glad he's gone but I don't need to see that.

There are plenty of historical precedents for Trials "in absentia".

If a gov't wants to go to the time & trouble of going thru the process of a trial, there are enough witnesses still alive who would be prepared to testify.  I think that there is merit in conducting trials for people like Gen Pinochet AND Sadam Hussein.  Villify him or make a saint out of him - it's better to put all your cards on the table now instead of having a martyr in the history books...........

Sorry mate, I don't know about that execution law for 70yr olds.

Around here, there really is no law, that I've seen anyways. At a street corner, at a shop, kitted out to the max, and with our carbines, we  are the LAW, or at least they think so. Me, I just want to make it back to our compound in one piece. In brief, just thinking at a glance now, I know what it is like to have bullets pass close (05 Nov), or to be < 50metres from 122mm HE Katyusha rockets slamming in (21 Dec). Memorable, but NOT pleasant! Or to hear the many daily and at times nightly multiple VBIEDs/IEDs, ongoing firefights at check points, etc. It is mayhen at the best of times, and thats in Baghdad, a city of over 4 million! Imagine Toronto or Sydney in such carnage.

In time it will change here, but not to our expectations we would like to see.

A western presence will be here for the foreseeable years to come.

As for the videos of the hanging (Al Jezeera called in a lynching today), the MEDIA is really fanning the flames on this, blowing it way out, and any casualties from their disgusting behaviour, well the blood is on their hands. CNN is guilty as Al Jeezera. Shame on them all!

So Saddam was taunted. So what? Look what he did for over 2 decades. Now look at every exectuion in the US for example, the high profile ones get the news. You know the placcards 'Burn Bundy Burn' brings back memories. Ya too are the pro-lifers outside the prisons also. Both sides expressing themelves. Thats what happened here, and with something new called FREEDOM (they don't really know how to handle itin my opinion), its more intense.

The videos are in bad taste, but it tells the world that yes he was hanged, and is DEAD. Seems many islamic countries which are pro-sunni are blaming the US. Anything to get back at them.

Over here, middle eastern mentality seems all to be based on revenge and centuries old hatred. Its tribal here. Strange customs very foreign to us. Kind of like a 13th century mentality in the 21st century. Scarey times ahead for us all, and Canada like other western nations is not immune.

I believe in time, things wills settle, and even now, they might quiet down, as he's gone now. As for being martyred, only by the extremists, like Hitler and his followers, many today who are alive 60+yrs after the war ended in Europe. For the average guy here just wants to have a job, watch TV, smoke some heesh, play soccer, and be with his family.

Now, if the lefty do gooders whinge about these videos, consider Al Zahraa TV (channel 006 if you are in the area), for those of you that have not heard, its a 24hr Iraqi pro-insurgent propaganda based station which continiously broadcasts the IED VBIED, mortar and rocket attacks, plus sniping too, even with a Juba sniper special with the most obcene graphic headshots you could imagine on US Forces. So thats 24hrs a day, promoting hatred and showing graphic killing, as opposed to a simple hanging which lasts only a matter of seconds.

Both are wrong, but which is worse. You decide.

Cheers from yet another cold clear night in Baghdaddy,

Wes

Numerous TV programs commented on the 70 year old exemption law.

Wes, I totally blame the media for promoting the video.  Just like when they showed all those beheadings.  Gruesome.  I really don't care how he was treated, but some people will, and they'll exploit it to the max.  I'm not really whining about it (ok maybe a little) in so far as how he was treated before he died, but more on the belief that it will cause more unecessary bloodshed in the name of someone best forgotten.

Oh, and thanks for some of the descriptions of how it really is.  Puts things in perspective sometimes for us living in the comforts of home. :salute:

Crantor said:
someone best forgotten.

My opinion is that in a cell , he would have been easier to forget. Now, I'm sure
he will be seen has a martyr by many.

Yrys said:
My opinion is that in a cell , he would have been easier to forget. Now, I'm sure
he will be seen has a martyr by many.

I respect your view.

As long as he was alive he gave hope and inspiration to the baddies, as one day they thought he'd be back in the saddle. Now gone, I think it will be different, over time anyways. The short term it could be nasty and more so if the media keeps playing their game of ratings. Thats my gut feel, but I might be wrong. Time will tell, eh. At least there is hope now, and hopefully dispair will gradually fade out, although there will always be unrest here, as thats the nature of the beast when it comes to middle eastern mentality, again in my opinion. 

Regards, now I got to get to my movie 'The Lord of War". Orval Redenbacher's buttery popcorn on stand by (thanks to my sister Sandy in Regina, she sent a BOX of 24 packets for my Platoon) .... smells like a theatre in here. A theatre within a theatre, ha!

Wes

Martyr -- ::)  not likely

Sunni Whabbist extremists hated him
Shia HATE him
Iranain Shia's hate him

The only ones he gets a bit of sympathy are from Baathists -- and thus Syrian.

Some may try to use him as a Martyr -- but he was not a well liked guy anwhere around here.

FWIW I think we should carpet bomb the triangle of death too...

Infidel-6 said:
FWIW I think we should carpet bomb the triangle of death too...

But... then we actually do become the great Satan they claim we are.

I find it interesting that they (the people in Iraq who Saddam brainwashed tricked forced in to and now have the stockholm syndrome, through kind words and actions, got to like and revere him) Protested his death... after the fact...  I can't think of a sutable analogy other than "that makes as much sense as protesting the death penalty after it's been executed." :brickwall:

What were they chanting? "Bring him back, bring him back!"

The sad part is; he will be looked at as a martyr by all those who dislike the people he was killed for killing (it makes sense... kinda).  He said, just before dying, that he was willing to die for 'his people' and 'his beliefs'... you know someone (if not many someones) will see that as a call to arms and a banner to fight under.  And if that doesn't do it, the video of him (and indirectly, his 'people') being mocked before his death might do it.

Either way, just trial or not, protests or not, taunting or tickling, He's Dead..  Done deal. 

Besides, look out the window... Worlds still turning...  people die every day, and some of them (by that I mean most of them) are a bigger loss to the world than that goon (Saddam)

RHFC_piper said:
I find it interesting that they (the people in Iraq who Saddam brainwashed tricked forced in to and now have the stockholm syndrome, through kind words and actions, got to like and revere him) Protested his death... after the fact...  I can't think of a sutable analogy other than "that makes as much sense as protesting the death penalty after it's been executed." :brickwall:

What were they chanting? "Bring him back, bring him back!"

The sad part is; he will be looked at as a martyr by all those who dislike the people he was killed for killing (it makes sense... kinda).  He said, just before dying, that he was willing to die for 'his people' and 'his beliefs'... you know someone (if not many someones) will see that as a call to arms and a banner to fight under.  And if that doesn't do it, the video of him (and indirectly, his 'people') being mocked before his death might do it.

Either way, just trial or not, protests or not, taunting or tickling, He's Dead..  Done deal. 

Besides, look out the window... Worlds still turning...  people die every day, and some of them (by that I mean most of them) are a bigger loss to the world than that goon (Saddam)

WTF?

Dude  no one anywhere near me is suffering any sort of remorse for him.

Chanting was for 'ol Sadr (who should join Sadam for a dirt nap)

Infidel-6 said:
WTF?

Dude  no one anywhere near me is suffering any sort of remorse for him.

Chanting was for 'ol Sadr (who should join Sadam for a dirt nap)

The news was showing Iraqi's (and others around the world) protesting the execution the day after Saddam was hanged. 
(it wasn't a slag at you, just bringing up the silliness of protesting something that already happened and can't be reversed.)

It's all good... and like I said; either way he's dead... Karma can be a ***** sometime.

RHFC_piper said:
The news was showing Iraqi's (and others around the world) protesting the execution the day after Saddam was hanged. 
(it wasn't a slag at you, just bringing up the silliness of protesting something that already happened and can't be reversed.)

It's all good... and like I said; either way he's dead... Karma can be a ***** sometime.

Didn't the news also happen to mention that most of them were protesting because the democratically elected Government of Iraq chose to execute this convicted dictator on the 1st day of Eid? Most were not protesting his death, rather it's timing; and, in that, there is a huge difference.

Out of 23 million people, the media should be able to find somebody protesting about anything. Hell even his family and clan must number in the thousands.

Iran, Syria and everyone who has an axe to grind against the great satan (USA) will be crying the death of the martyr......... regardless of their real views of the man.

The enemy of my enemy is not my enemy.

So while Iran hated Sadam's guts, they have a passion hating the USA and that trumps Sadam any day.

The Librarian said:
Didn't the news also happen to mention that most of them were protesting because the democratically elected Government of Iraq chose to execute this convicted dictator on the 1st day of Eid? Most were not protesting his death, rather it's timing.

True... Good point... But most of the media I saw on the topic focused more on the 'Saddam Supporters' and less on Eid.  

I fully understand protesting an execution on a religious day, and even protesting an execution before it happens (weather on religious or 'fair tiral' grounds... or just the 'don't kill and human' grounds), but those few who protested, specifically, Saddams death (and there were a few in Tikrit) seem kind of, well, foolish... or better yet, counter productive.

Frankly, in my own oppinion, I find debating his death quite pointless.  He was a thug, he got ousted, the people he ruled over turned on him (for the most part), he was a refugee in his own country, he was caught, tried by the people he oppressed, and hanged for being a blight on humanity (or for whatever other reason make people sleep better at night)... Karma got him but good.

My point:  Argue the death of people who didn't deserve to die but did unjustly (I can think of a few thousand thanks to Saddam), don't argue the death of a tyranical dictator who brought nothing to the benifit of humanity besides thinning the herd in a very grotesque manner.  I, for one, am happy the world is rid of one more useless waste of oxygen (taking a deep breath of what could have been his air) and I don't really care how he died, as long as he's dead... he could have died in a mugging and it wouldn't have changed a thing.

wow... no more ranting for me...

RHFC - I don't get Western news -- all I get is a "interpreted" version of the local news, and a shit load of celebratory fire.
  I guessed I missed where your comments where comming from.

Infidel-6 said:
RHFC - I don't get Western news -- all I get is a "interpreted" version of the local news, and a crap load of celebratory fire.
  I guessed I missed where your comments where comming from.

You mean just like the kind of interpreted news that the MSM puts out over here for RHFC_Piper and the rest of us to see?? Go figure eh?  ;)

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2007/01/03/3154040-ap.html

Iraqi official arrested over Saddam execution video

By QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) — The person believed to have recorded Saddam Hussein’s raucous execution on a cell phone camera was arrested Wednesday, an adviser to Iraq’s prime minister said.

A U.S. military spokesman, meanwhile, said the United States would have handled the execution differently had it been in charge.
The adviser to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the media, did not identify the person. But he said it was “an official who supervised the execution” and who is “now under investigation.”

“In the past few hours, the government has arrested the person who made the video of Saddam’s execution,” the adviser said.
Iraqi state television broadcast an official video of Saturday’s hanging, which had no audio and never showed Saddam’s actual death. But the leaked cell phone video showed the deposed leader being taunted in his final moments, with witnesses shouting “Go to hell!” before he dropped through the gallows floor and died.

The unruly scene was broadcast on Al-Jazeera television and was posted on the Internet, prompting a worldwide outcry and big protests among Iraq’s minority Sunnis, who lost their preferential status when Saddam was ousted in the U.S.-led invasion of March 2003. 
“If you are asking me: ‘Would we have done things differently?’ Yes, we would have. But that’s not our decision. That’s the government of Iraq’s decision,” said Maj. Gen. William Caldwell, a U.S. military spokesman.

He said that Saddam was “dignified” and “courteous” as he was transferred from US military control to Iraqi custody before he was executed.
“He spoke very well to our military police, as he always had, and when getting off at the prison site he said farewell to his interpreter; he thanked the military police squad,” Caldwell said.
Some Sunni Muslims have taken to the streets in mostly peaceful protests in the days since Saddam’s execution, mourning their former leader and protesting the manner in which he was executed.

Al-Maliki on Tuesday ordered his Interior Ministry to investigate the video — who made it and how it reached television and Web sites for public viewing.
On Wednesday, an Iraqi prosecutor who was also present at the execution denied a report that he had accused National Security Adviser Mowaffak al-Rubaie of possible responsibility for the leaked video.

“I am not accusing Mowaffak al-Rubaie, and I did not see him taking pictures,” Munqith al-Faroon, a prosecutor in the case that sent Saddam to the gallows, told The Associated Press.
“But I saw two of the government officials who were ... present during the execution taking all the video of the execution, using the lights that were there for the official taping of the execution. They used mobile phone cameras. I do not know their names, but I would remember their faces,” al-Faroon said in a telephone interview.

The prosecutor said the two officials were openly taking video pictures, which are believed to be those which appeared on Al-Jazeera satellite and a Web site within hours of Saddam’s execution.
The New York Times on Wednesday reported that al-Faroon told the newspaper “one of two men he had seen holding a cell phone camera aloft to make a video of Mr. Hussein’s last moments up to and past the point where he fell through the trapdoor was Mowaffak al-Rubaie, Mr. Maliki’s national security adviser.”
The Times said it had been unable to reach al-Rubaie for comment. AP also could not reach him Wednesday. His secretary said the security adviser, a close aide to al-Maliki, was in Najaf and would not return until later.

Al-Faroon said there were 14 Iraqi officials, including himself and another prosecutor, as well as three hangmen present for the execution. All the officials, he said, were flown by U.S. helicopter to the former military intelligence facility where Saddam was put to death in an execution chamber used by his own security men for years.
The prosecutor said he believed all mobile phones had been confiscated before the flight and that some of the officials’ bodyguards, who arrived by car, had smuggled the camera phones to the two officials he had seen taking the video pictures.

Some of the last words Saddam heard, according to the leaked cell phone video, were a chant of “Muqtada, Muqtada, Muqtada,” a reference to Muqtada al-Sadr, the radical anti-American Shiite cleric, whose Mahdi Army militia is believed responsible for many killings that have targeted Sunnis and driven many from their homes.

Al-Sadr’s father was killed by Saddam. The militant cleric is a key al-Maliki backer

Back