• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jack Of All Trades personality.

SpaceInvader

Inactive
Reaction score
:cdn: Hello there recruiters.  :cdn:

I was hoping you could answer a few of my questions and maybe provide a little advice. I've already spoken to a recruiter in Windsor who seems pretty competent about things but I'd like a second opinion just in case.

My file is a little complicated, I took Electronics Engineering in DeVRY for 2 years but never completed it, instead I transferred into Police Foundations in Westervelt (London,On) and graduated with a diploma. Instead of entering the police directly (age 24), I was advised to get some work experience. I took the TESOL and CELTA programs and ended up becoming an English Teacher for the last 11 years. I've worked in Korea, Japan, Mexico, Brazil and now in China. I'm not fluent but I do speak a little of each country's native language and I am very familiar with cultures and customs, my wife is also Chinese. I was born and raised in Ontario, Canada. 

Recently a friend and I have been discussing going home  :cdn: to join the military. I have a stable job here in China for the rest of my life but I would relish the opportunity to serve my country as my father and grandfather were both military at one point and I would like to continue that tradition. My grandfather served during WW2 as an airborne, my father in Infantry. I can only hope that my future children will follow my lead.

That said, I am interested in a number of different careers paths and I was wondering if I wrote the CFAT and scored all of them which would most likely be chosen for me based on my background:

1. 291 Comm Rsch Trade.  (This trade looks to be the most appealing, I love james bond/area 51 secrecy)
2. Avionics (I enjoy working with electronics)
3. Military Police (I also thoroughly enjoy working with and helping people)
4. Cook (I take a lot of pride in my cooking skill, which consists of pizza or cereal. I would love to learn how to cook to CF standard and I love being part of a team... also I'm sick of eating Chinese food  :p)
5. Pilot (because who wouldn't love this?)

I don't have a degree and I'm 35 years old this year so I don't imagine the CF would likely spring for a univ education at this point. Also  most of the stuff I want to do is hands on and I think that's a much better fit for an NCM. Recently, I joined Digital tutors and I'm studying their Comptia's A+ and N+ courses (computer and network), programming and Unity interfaces to brush up on old IT skills to make myself more attractive to the CF. What do you think the likelihood of me being offered employment in each trade is and what do you think my best fit is?  I'm in fairly decent physical shape and haven't had any health problems. Oh I also have an AZ license (CDL truck driving with diploma) and a MIG welding course I did back home while on vacation. 

Best Regards
Space Invader

Good day SpaceInvader,

Thank you for your interest in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).  There are many opportunities in the CAF.

We do not choose the occupation for you. You choose the three occupations that you are considering as a career when you submit your application.

Service in the CAF offers valuable job skills, exciting challenges and unlimited career possibilities.  With more than 100 occupations the CAF invests in its personnel by giving them the training & education required to do their demanding jobs to the best of their abilities.  As a result, Canadian soldiers, sailors & air personnel are world-famous for their professionalism and expertise.

The CAF has more than 20 entry programs, some of which include subsidized education.  Candidates with education levels ranging from Grade 10 or Secondary IV to a university degree are encouraged to apply.

A great place to start looking into a career in the CAF is by looking at our website; you will find the answers to many questions.  You may wish to first consider whether you want to work full (Regular Force) or part-time (Reserves).

http://www.forces.ca/

Another way to start is by thinking about which element (Army, Navy or Air Force) you see yourself working in.  Once you have decided which element suits you then start looking at the available occupations in that element.

Job List –

http://forces.ca/en/jobexplorer/browsejobs-70

Perhaps you’d rather work part-time with the CAF.  We have many part-time jobs available in the Reserves.  You can view a list of Reserve units in your area at:

http://forces.ca/en/centres/findarecruitmentcentre-110

If you wish to join you can visit your local CAF recruiting centre or you can apply online at:
http://forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100

Back