• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

John Baird to resign as foreign affairs minister, sources say

Status
Not open for further replies.

expwor

Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/john-baird-to-resign-as-foreign-affairs-minister-sources-say-1.2940699

Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird will resign from his position in the Harper cabinet as early as Tuesday, CBC News has learned.

Sources say that Baird, who has served in several senior portfolios in Prime Minister Stephen Harper's cabinet, has told members of his staff that he won't run again and will be resigning this week.

Baird's departure from cabinet, along with the resignation of Jim Flaherty a month before his death last year, means two of Harper's most powerful ministers will have left the prime minister's inner circle in less than a year.

Baird represents the riding of Ottawa West-Nepean and was nominated last March as the Conservative candidate in the newly created riding of Nepean for the next federal election, which must be held by Oct. 19 at the latest.

Baird, 45, has been in politics most of his adult life. He was first elected as an MP in 2006 after a decade in provincial politics in Ontario, where he served in former premier Mike Harris's cabinet.

High-profile posts

He has held senior cabinet roles ever since the Harper government was elected in 2006. These include:
■Minister of Foreign Affairs, May, 2011 to present.
■Government House Leader, August, 2010 to May, 2011.
■Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, October, 2008 to August, 2010.
■Minister of the Environment, January, 2007 to October, 2008 and again November, 2010 to January, 2011.
■President of the Treasury Board, February, 2006  to January 2007.

Baird was also a member of the House of Commons' Board of Internal Economy in 2010 and 2011.

dapaterson said:
Confirmed bachelors are just so fascinating.

Funny he never married.

http://youtu.be/Tb7uKhI7uqU

I saw a report that he was meeting with an ex-PM of Australia about a position on a commission to sort out the UN bureaucracy.

Old Sweat said:
I saw a report that he was meeting with an ex-PM of Australia about a position on a commission to sort out the UN bureaucracy.

You mean the gang that has ripped off the world since 1993.

dapaterson said:
Confirmed bachelors are just so fascinating.
It's what we do best.
Now if you'll excuse me I have to go get another drink from my personal bar in the other room, and then leave the toilet seat up after using the washroom that I walked to while wearing only a bathrobe.

CBC is now saying he's resigning effectively immediately.  Oh to be a fly on the wall for that meeting with the PM.

jollyjacktar said:
CBC is now saying he's resigning effectively immediately.  Oh to be a fly on the wall for that meeting with the PM.
Early election coming maybe?  :whistle:

My totally wild Vegas odds, based on nothing in particular:

60% He got a job offer that's too good to turn down (SecGen of NATO, for example, or the UN position that's already been mentioned)

30% Personal situation, sickness, stress, etc

10% Mike Duffy scale scandal and he wants to resign before it breaks

Had him as a Minister, he tried to micro-manage to much and his office was a clusterfuck. He was however personable to civil servants and did say "I don't want my people getting dumped on" in regards to the PS. I think he meant well but didn't know how to run that big of an organization.

Colin P said:
I think he meant well but didn't know how to run that big of an organization.
Sounds almost perfect for the U.N.  ;D

If we are taking wags on to why he is resigning, here's mine:

a) He has been told he is not in the running to be the next party leader (due maybe to his pro-Isreali beliefs and more left wing mindset); or
b) He wants to make personal lifestyle change that doesn't fit with politics;
c) A tax free UN salary is calling his name;
d) all of the above. 

As long as we're making WAGs, mine is that he got whacked on the snout with a rolled up newspaper over his bout of oral dysentery with regard to Palestine, and has decided to step away from the mic.

captloadie said:
If we are taking wags on to why he is resigning, here's mine:

a) He has been told he is not in the running to be the next party leader (due maybe to his pro-Isreali beliefs and more left wing mindset); or
b) He wants to make personal lifestyle change that doesn't fit with politics;
c) A tax free UN salary is calling his name;
d) all of the above.

Or maybe not interested in being party leader but from a read of leadership candidates thinks he won't be a cabinet minister in the next government (assuming the CPC gets re-elected).  And it's better in his mind to resign as a cabinet minister now not under a scandal, rather than a fall from grace from Minister to backbencher
or
He assumes the CPC won't win re-election and instead of competing with a bunch of other ex cabinet ministers for plum jobs in the private sector, he'd do it now ahead of the rest

Just some more speculation  :)

Tom

Baird represents the riding of Ottawa West-Nepean and was nominated last March as the Conservative candidate in the newly created riding of Nepean for the next federal election, which must be held by Oct. 19 at the latest.

Hmmm, now wouldn't he make an excellent provincial conservative leader as opposed to Tory..... :hellyeah:

It could also be that he wants to get married and didn't feel comfortable/ was advised against do so as Cabinet Minister in this government.

Isn't there a Monty Python sketch somewhere on YouTube featuring the troupe in drag as a bunch of gossiping old ladies that can be linked to stand as a template for this discussion?

Baird was not happy with the Iraq/ISIL- CANSOFCOM situation. He correctly bolted before it blows up into the fiasco that it is about to become.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back