• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Join the regular after being in the reserve

Sargent_Joe

Inactive
Reaction score
I'll probably join the reserve this summer but my goal is to join the regular force about 2 years later...if i'm already in the army reserve, do I have to do the same BMQ when I'll join the regular force?

Thank You

:salute:

Searchy-McSearch!

(use the search option!)

Read first.  Questions later grasshopper!

You will redo your BMQ. Simple as that. Consider you have no real time in with only 2 years, and non of your courses would be RegF transferable, you're looking at doing your BMQ/SQ all over again.

What are you joining up as? Also... it's spelt Sergeant

All right...well thats wath i tought

Thank You

sorry for the spelling im a frenchie from Quebec loll

MedTech said:
You will redo your BMQ. Simple as that. Consider you have no real time in with only 2 years, and non of your courses would be RegF transferable, you're looking at doing your BMQ/SQ all over again.

What are you joining up as? Also... it's spelt Sergeant

Umm maybe but...maybe not.  I know a few folks that did a reserve GMT/BMQ that got BMQ bypass on CT to the Reg's.  Actually, come to think of it, from my old Reserve Cmbt Arms unit, I can't remember one person who didn't get a bypass.

It will come in your offer, and the results of your PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment Review?) if and when you do a CT (Component Transfer) from the Reserve's to the Regular Force.

From the Recruiting Website...

Recruit School By-Pass
Applicants in this category do not require recruit training because of their previous Regular Force experience, or their Primary Reserve Force experience and either have elected to enrol in the Regular or the Reserve Force in a professional occupation other than the trade for which they were trained in the Primary Reserve Forces or they lacked sufficient qualification to be eligible for direct employment on enrolment in the Regular Force. 

More info on the link below.

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/v3/engraph/resources/subsidizededucation_en.aspx?bhcp=1

hmmm MRM, I dont know... from my experience not many I know have gotten the Recruit School by-pass. I know of one MCpl whose got a nice two digit figure time in, who was told she was demoted to Pte and to have a nice time at CFLRS. She merely CT and well it was a little strange. Oh well :) exceptions happen.

I've never heard of a MCpl with more than 10 years in have to do BMQ before.  Guess there's always a first.

By pass is pretty common from what I've seen,  depends on how many class B days you have  I think.  I was in the reserves for 4 years and got the by pass no problem, some people who have been out for nearly 6 years got the by pass.

I was in the reserves about 11yrs ago and basic was a bit different from the current course, from what i have read on here as well as the info from the CFLRS website. Maybe the MCpl did it way back then(hence the double digit time in) and they felt she was not qualified for some reason. To demote her directly to a Private seems a bit odd as she obviously had the leadership skills etc. but they obviously had their reasons. I know of a few people who have gotten bypasses in the last little while, but most were previous RegF, only one i know of was Reserve.

I think the short answer is "It Depends".

It depends on trade, career manager, who "owns" the courses being written off, lots of variables.

I've seen it go both ways.  Med Tech, my former partner in the MIR not only got a recruit school bypass, she got virtually her entire QL3 (less PCP), and her PLQ 1-4 written off.  I've also seen a former Royal Marine (with serious trigger time) get sent to BMQ again.

Don't feel poorly if you have to do it again, you'll (hopefully) shine on it, and you'll (hopefully) make some more friends for life on it, and (hopefully) not be the strange guy who came straight to the Regiment.

DF

The long and skinny of it from my recruitng buddies mouth, Recruit School bypass is granted to almost any reservist who is trade qualified at the time of the CT/Re-enrollment offer (trade Qual being ql3 or better) that said if you're going combat arms your SQ will likely need a mulligan given the state of the PLAR.

Also the Navres BOTC/IAP is considerably shorter than the reg force course (IAP 4 weeks and 8 week BOTC) taught at Venture in Esquimalt as opposed to the 15 week botc/iap combined course at the MEGA

Also one the other hand I did have a young lady pass by my desk (to have her user account tweaked) who was 1 week a Mcpl and the next an AB with a recruit school bypass, generally you can expect to lose all but your killicks on a CT or OT

Just to echo most of the sentiments in regards to the Recruit school bypass, although I'm definatley not a SME,  most people seem to get the recruit school bypass. In my unit alone there have been at least 3 people in the last year who just completed their DP1 Infantry last summer and did a CT to the regs into another trade. They all recieved the recruit school bypass, and SQ bypass, straight to their trade specfic course.

Now personally I have two years and a half years in with the Reserves, the last 9 months or so have been Class B taskings, and I'm doing my component transfer to the regular force going into the same trade (031). I'm still waiting for my offer, but I've been told by nearly everyone that a recruit school bypass is a near guarantee and it definatley seems like it. Whether or not I have to redo my trades course is the big question. Does it matter whether or not your course instructers were all regular force? In my case all my instructors on my SQ and DP1 were all from 2RCR.

Disenchantedsailor said:
Also the Navres BOTC/IAP is considerably shorter than the reg force course (IAP 4 weeks and 8 week BOTC) taught at Venture in Esquimalt as opposed to the 15 week botc/iap combined course at the MEGA

My interviewer at the CFRC told me that AirRes and NavRes IAP/BOTC was directly transferable, and follows the "soldier first" approach similar to St. Jean. Army reserve was not transferable without additional training like CAP or DP1 etc.

It seems from what I've been reading here that the Recruit School By-Pass is attainable upon a component transfer, provided you are trade qualified, etc. etc. But does this mean the same for someone going from Res NCM to Reg Officer?

I am applying for ROTP Undergrad, and am currently an NCM in the PRes, with BMQ/SQ/DP1/DP2 under my belt, going for a pilot position in the Air Force. Now going from trade and corporal qualified NCM to a Reg F Officer position, would the By-Pass still be common?

Edited for addition: Personally for me, I would assume IAP would be by-passable, but BOTC would not be.. although I would take BOTC regardless.

Form what I have seen in my unit, some people get to keep all their course coming to reg and some lose all their course.  But all get the by-pass as long as their DP1 finished.

dan005e said:
Does it matter whether or not your course instructers were all regular force? In my case all my instructors on my SQ and DP1 were all from 2RCR.

Nope.  What matters is not who taught you, but rather what you learned.  Reg Force and Reserve courses are often based on different training plans.  Different TP= different course= you may have to do the Reg F one. 

Back