• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining the CF right after high school.

ʞɔoɹɯɐɥs said:
If I may. A degree is not a requirement for commissioning.

It is is you're just joining. Unless they've changed things again.

They may have, I don't pay that close attention. That said, a program has been in place for almost six years.

ʞɔoɹɯɐɥs said:
They may have, I don't pay that close attention. That said, a program has been in place for almost six years.

If you are refferng to CEOTP, that program is not always open and not open to all trades when it is. Further, if you were to fail to complete your degree, guess what..........

It has always been used as a last resort to fill vacancies.

CDN Aviator said:
If you are refferng to CEOTP, that program is not always open and not open to all trades when it is. Further, if you were to fail to complete your degree, guess what..........

It has always been used as a last resort to fill vacancies.

Swap out CEOTP and ROTP above, and you have an almost identical statement.

My point remains: CEOTP is one of several options available for non-degreed commissionning, contrary to the seemingly common belief a degree is an absolute necessity to receive a commission.

Army.ca as a community should be a community where honest questions answered within one's area of expertise. Knowing the correct answer and providing incorrect information is a despicable practice. 

ConradJon said:
Thanks for the help guys. But I have 1 final question, sorry. Can I become a regular NCM infantry from taking a criminology course in college?

Edit: And yes, I will be contacting the recruitment center when they are open, thanks.

For NCM Combat Arms a degree or post-secondary diploma is a "nice-to-have" but not necessary.  Most likely the recruiters will ask you why you want Cbt Arms with a Crim diploma or degree instead of Military Police.  Now if you wanted Military Police then the Crim diploma or degree becomes a more relevant factor.

As an NCM in Combat Arms you do not need a degree for promotion.  What counts is your performance in the field, on course and conduct.

For commissioning to officer from NCM, a degree is also not required; again its a "nice-to-have."  There are programs for NCMs to take university and get commissioned upon graduation or for serving officers to complete their degrees. 

If your intention is to join the reg force as an officer direct from the civilian world than having a degree is essential these days.  Also I should point out that the competition for commissioning from the civvie world is very intense now.  I can't remember a single officer of any trade on my phase courses that did not have a bachelors at a minimum.

Thanks for the help. I've decided to just join in as NCM Infantry, and after my 9 years become a cop.

ConradJon said:
Thanks for the help. I've decided to just join in as NCM Infantry, and after my 9 years become a cop.

Why nine years ??

ConradJon said:

If you wish to be a cop some day, post secondary education will be very, very important. There's no shortage of guys with military experience looking to be police officers, and it's getting increasingly rare for officers to not have some sort of college diploma or university degree.

Conversely, with a degree in Crim (I'm four months short of finishing mine) and some time in the military, you'll be well placed as long as you keep your record clean and don't do anything stupid in the meantime.

I would advise you to check the RCMP's polygraph test - it's available online - and see the kinds of things they ask about, so you have some sense of what to avoid getting mixed up in.

ConradJon said:
Isn't it 9 years regular?

Dear lord, i thought that after PMing me, you would ask questions rather than make assumptions that you knew what you were talking about.

There is no obligatory service for infantry NCM and, IIRC, the lenght of the initial engagement is 3 years.

ConradJon said:
Can I stay longer than just 3 years?

No. On the last day of your 3 year engagement, you are stripped of your uniform and marched off the base, tared and feathered, never to return.

CDN Aviator said:
No. On the last day of your 3 year engagement, you are stripped of your uniform and marched off the base, tarred and feathered, never to return.
:rofl:

ConradJon -- READ!!! Don't post anymore. Read. Please.

CDN Aviator said:
No. On the last day of your 3 year engagement, you are stripped of your uniform and marched off the base, tared and feathered, never to return.

And those feathers are a bi*&$ch to get off (and they tickle).......

Back