• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

joining the infantry next summer

xxmixkexx

Inactive
Reaction score
after i graduate highschool i plan on joining the infantry
i am currently in grade 12 and i turn 18 in march
when would be the best time to apply so i can quickly start after i graduate?

i am not all that worried about the fitness tests
i can run the 2.4km in 12minutes
bench 235lbs
squat 400lbs
and i have a vertical jump of 25 inches
so i am fairly certain i can pass

also is there anything i should try and improve on to make army life easier?

Apply now so by the time you graduate all your interviews and such are out of the way.. One problem with this is some guys I know got the call before they graduated.. If you do, trust me just tell them you will wait til the next available opening.. Everyone I know who didn't finish high school regrets it.

As for preparing.. Could always practice knots and such but the only thing you can really do is make sure you've got thick skin when you go there, and other then that just keep up on your fitness.. When you get there, just listen and do what you're told.

A 12min 2.4km is not all that fast, however it is a good start, and basic/SQ/battle school will improve very much upon it.

Do not worry so much about the weights, benching 235lbs iis not quite the same as tabbing with personal weapon, ammo, water, and the odd mortar base plate strapped on for good measure.

In other words, all round fitness, leaning towards both cardio-vascular endurance and anerobic ability.

thanks alot for the replies

i just got the army fitness manual and i am starting the 12 week program monday so hopefully i will be set

Just make sure you are ready mentally, we had like 5 young kids VR the first week because they couldn't handle being away from mommy... They could pass the express test no problem, however they were not mature enough for the military just yet. Just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. You will not be allowed out for 5 weeks, it sucks, and there mean as hell to you, and give you impossible timings to make. Just please make sure your ready for it before going through the whole application process.

ok thanks alot

haha i can handle leaving my mom for a bit

and ya a few people i talked to said the first bit is the worst

Like started above endurance and cardio will be much more important than how much you can bench etc. 

Being able to bench that much is great, but it won't get you through the morning PT.

If you had to lose 20lbs off your max bench weight but be able to run that 2.4km in 10min flat I'd say you where in good form... something to shoot for.

Agreed, once you get on the obstacle course, benching wont mean squat. My platoon had to do it in 35 degree heat and then do pushups because our security inspections were not up to par, and even the most fit people there were almost ready to pass out. Hardest thing I have ever done. I could only imagine what my instructors went through in Afghanistan in 60 degree heat, made us look like pussies. But he is right, work on your cardio you will thank yourself, 2 weeks before you get sent off to CFLRS go out and run 5km a day it will really help.

I suggest you wait until after your first semester marks come out, early February. that way you can get started and get the added education points for your first semester's course. The higher the average the better the score which helps your overall Military Potential score. Make sure you know your trade and do lots of on line research about the forces before your interview. 

xxmixkexx said:
also is there anything i should try and improve on to make army life easier?

Just to add...

Start running; Practice push ups, crunches/sit-ups, pull-ups. Ensure proper form in everything. There is tons of good info on this site about all of these and much more.

Start reading.

thanks a lot for all the advice

and i am working on cardio now and i have basically stopped weight lifting just body weight exercises

Everybody puts so much emphasis on the physical aspects; make sure your mind is in shape too. Good luck!

CDN Aviator said:
"Free your mind, your *** will follow"

HA! I've heard that a few times before the sun has come up. That and "Troops: If you don't mind....it don't matter."

.......and "Nothings too good for the Troops, so that is what they'll get.......Nothing."

I have a better answer....

Close your eyes...now open them...Thats about how it will feel

Back