• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining The Infantry

Is our infantry a bunch of “grunts”

• Yes

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No, we have an intelligent infantry

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Some are intelligent, most are not

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Most are intelligent, some are not

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Surette87 said:
By the way, is there anybody here who's from Toronto, who has been merit listed and has their date for BMQ for Infantry Reg Force?
I'm from Toronto, Infantry RCR regular forces, leaving for St.Jean Sept.3rd and BMQ start date Sept.5th.

Romanmaz said:
I'm from Toronto, Infantry RCR regular forces, leaving for St.Jean Sept.3rd and BMQ start date Sept.5th.

A little derail, but I didn't think regiment "selection" happened until after some courses (ie. not prior to BMQ)?

Romanmaz said:
I've never heard of someone attached to PPCLI, RCR, or Vandoos, before they had even started BMQ....

Dimsum said:
A little derail, but I didn't think regiment "selection" happened until after some courses (ie. not prior to BMQ)?

Exactly.

You don't know what regiment you're posted to until you receive your first posting. So even if you're from Toronto and The RCR is convenient for you... you could still end up in Alberta or Manitoba with the PPCLI if that's where the available positions are and the demand is.

Dimsum said:
Nauticus said:
I've never heard of someone attached to PPCLI, RCR, or Vandoos, before they had even started BMQ....
lethalLemon said:
Exactly.

You don't know what regiment you're posted to until you receive your first posting. So even if you're from Toronto and The RCR is convenient for you... you could still end up in Alberta or Manitoba with the PPCLI if that's where the available positions are and the demand is.

Well, tell that to the recruiter that called me and told me I'm going to be posted with the RCR when I received a job offer, I'm not an idiot, I don't just pull random information out of thin air. However, I do understand from what some people are posting that after BMQ some things might change because you will be posted wherever you are needed at the time, so nothing is set in stone. P.S. I would rather be posted in Edmonton then Toronto, "convenience" has nothing to do with it.

Hello everyone,

I understand that this question may have been asked before, but i have been rummaging through the forums for a couple hours now and have searched on the topic but cant seem to really get a straight answer... maybe I'm not looking properly. Sorry for bothering any of the mods.
Anyways, I had a question about my application to join the CF reserves as an Infantry Soldier :salute:
There are three options for Infantry listed : PPCLI, RCR, RR22ER
I've checked out the first two's websites already, cant find the third one (i think its a french regiment).

I'm not sure what to put down on my application though since I'm looking to join the reserves and it looks like these options are regular force ?  ???
I have no idea ( sorry for the lack of knowledge ). I'm looking for a reserve in or close to Toronto since i will be attending school near there.
I'm thinking the recruiter may have given me the wrong form, but that's just a wild guess cause I'm lost  :brickwall:

Any thoughts?

I also would like to state that i have no idea what im doing in this application because the recruiter didnt really help me that much so im kinda lost.
I plan on going back there to get things clarified, but i tried here first

Though I am not sure of the hiring status of Infantry, I do know that these are indeed Reg Units and are not Reserve. If you are near Toronto I would suggest looking up the Queens Own Rifles (QOR) or 48th Highlanders of Canada.

Wow that was very helpful thank you !
I will be heading down to each reserve to check them out and hopefully soon enough be in the infantry
Heard that they take a long time to recruit new applicants though :-\
Thanks again anyway 

To clear some things up,
I think what Romanmaz was talking about was the recruiter telling him which unit was in need of boots, today my application was submitted and the recruiter told me that if I accept the job offer after all the procedures for applying, that PPCLI was the only unit accepting men :nod:

Romanmaz is actually right, all of the young Cpl/Ptes I know all were given a choice upon application of Regiments (NOT Battalions) and all of their choices were honoured. In fact, they even prompt you for the information during the interview if you didn't provide it.

These experiences are from at least 4 years ago to just over a year ago.

EDIT: As made apparent by JRH93's post, things can change, I'm just stating that in the last 5 years of so, standard practice was to offer the choice.

When a soldier receives his offer of employment for infantry, it clearly states which regiment he will belong to.  From the moment you are sworn in, you become a member of that regiment.  This is why the trade seemed over strength to NDHQ, but not at unit level.

In 2003, during my recruiting process, they asked me which my preference would be and when I got my call, they said what Regiment I'd go to. During training, the Bn I'd end up at changed on a weekly basis.

JRH93 said:
To clear some things up,
I think what Romanmaz was talking about was the recruiter telling him which unit was in need of boots, today my application was submitted and the recruiter told me that if I accept the job offer after all the procedures for applying, that PPCLI was the only unit accepting men :nod:

True enough - the PPCLI only accepts Men (gender neutral term meaning mature, driven and generally manlier specimens).

Not so sure about the other Regiments... >:D

Nauticus said:

It was like that 11 years ago when I got in, I don't see why it would change.

The recruiter on the phone told me "I have a job offer for you with The RCR."

"What about PPCLI?" I inquired

"You'll have to wait for PPCLI, could be up to a year."

"RCR it is then!" I exclaimed with an empty wallet.

I imagine conversations like that occur every so often with infantry recruits. 

As explained to me, albeit a dozen years ago, your placed on a merit list according to your CFAT scores, PT test results, (when they did PT tests at the CFRC,) and interview.  The list is accessible by both Anglo regiments for Anglo recruits and when a certain number of positions become available they scrape off the top of the list and offer them jobs regardless of which regiment the recruit prefers.  You can choose to decline the offer, but at our own peril. 

Is that still about what goes on?

When my brother was in the recruiting process he stated that he wanted PPCLI and a short while after his testing he was offered a position with PPCLI, this was in 2003.  Guys I know that joined up later on in 05/06 etc each stated the Regiment they wanted and when they got the call for a job offer it was for that specific Regiment. 

In what way is the Infantry competitive? I mean, how specifically would one be a competitive applicant? I'm asking this as a highschool student going into grade 12.

OsoVega said:
In what way is the Infantry competitive? I mean, how specifically would one be a competitive applicant? I'm asking this as a highschool student going into grade 12.
You're ranked against other applicants based on your MP (Military Proficiency) score. It's a cumulative score based on your Interview, CFAT Score, and previous educational background. All things you could have figured out in 5 seconds using the search function......

Edit* Missed a word in there.

Romanmaz said:
You're ranked against other applicants based on your MP (Military Proficiency) score. It's a cumulative score based on your Interview, CFAT Score, and previous educational background. All things you could have figured in 5 seconds using the search function......
Thanks but I honestly can't think of keywords that would bring me this information. Even "military proficiency" doesn't return anything of relevance. Also, would that mean a high school graduate with no university degree is unlikely to be accepted or that high school marks have a significant effect? My attempts at searches haven't returned an answer for this question.

Back