• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joint Task Force 2 (JTF 2) - Canadian Special Forces

I'm just going to assume then that someone with zero military experience doesn't have a clue wtf they are talking about and perhaps should read more and talk less.

Cheers.

yukon said:
I'm just going to assume then that someone with zero military experience doesn't have a clue wtf they are talking about and perhaps should read more and talk less.

Cheers.

Probably a safe assumption.

In regards to what I wrote earlier it wasn't hearsay or coming from a friend of a friend. It was from the living, breathing, mythical creature known as an assaulter. Yes they exist and yes that's what he personally told me.

RoyalDrew said:
There is no "stepping stone" you either got it, or you don't. 

That is equally true for any of the CANSOFCOM trades/specialties, or  SAR Tech, or Clearance Diver, and even Pilot.

Shinobi said:
In regards to what I wrote earlier it wasn't hearsay or coming from a friend of a friend. It was from the living, breathing, mythical creature known as an assaulter. Yes they exist and yes that's what he personally told me.

That is his/her opinion.  As others have already posted, it is just as much a stepping stone as any other occupation, if the person applying has the right frame of mind and body.  Anyone can apply to be an Assaulter.  Many have never seen the doors of CSOR and have succeeded in joining JTF2.  It is the person applying, not their job, that will be the deciding factor in the selection process.

If you want an analogy: The Cadets are a stepping stone to joining the PRes.  The PRes is a stepping stone to joining the Regs.  Complete BS.  Anyone can join the PRes or Regs.

Right, as I said it is only that individual's opinion. But he was not the only member who shared that opinion. While what you say is true I'd have to agree with the idea that CSOR is a good "gut check" for JTF2 seeing as many of the attributes and abilities that would make you succeed in CSOR would also apply for joining JTF.

Shinobi said:
Right, as I said it is only that individual's opinion. But he was not the only member who shared that opinion. While what you say is true I'd have to agree with the idea that CSOR is a good "gut check" for JTF2 seeing as many of the attributes and abilities that would make you succeed in CSOR would also apply for joining JTF.

Because as a private you have experience with either organization?  How about we just let the people who are in those units and/or do the recruiting and selection decide who is best suited for employment in them, and if you think that is you, quit yapping and just friggin apply.

It does stand to reason though that if you're currently in the Pres and want to go to JTf2 that the most direct route would be via CSOR. Ideally once you've completed 2 years there you'de have the fitness and the skill set to pass both the 7 day selection and the assaulters course.

::)

Fitness and skills you can get a lot of places in the CAF.

PRes positions at CSOR, not many.

X_para76 said:
It does stand to reason though that if you're currently in the Pres and want to go to JTf2 that the most direct route would be via CSOR.
How is that more direct that going through any other occupation?

Sorry I was trying to suggest that one would go to CSOR from the Pres and do their operators course after having passed selection. To then get posted there as an operator and then put in at least the 2 years of reg force time required to apply to DhTc as an assaulter. 

... and again, how is that more direct than say:
X_para76 said:
... one would go to CSOR any occupation from the Pres and do their operators basic occupation course after having passed selection. To then get posted there as an operator to a unit and then put in at least the 2 years of reg force time required to apply to DhTc as an assaulter.
As I see things, neither path is more direct but you have promised that the CSOR path is in fact more direct.  How so?

It's my understanding from both CSOR members and guys at DHTC that CSOR' course is similar to JtF2's assaulter course, and that if you can pass one then you stand a very good chance of being able to pass the other.

X_para76 said:
It's my understanding from both CSOR members and guys at DHTC that CSOR' course is similar to JtF2's assaulter course, and that if you can pass one then you stand a very good chance of being able to pass the other.

And yet there are plenty of people who pass DHTC's selection and course without having any CSOR experience at all.

PuckChaser said:
And yet there are plenty of people who pass DHTC's selection and course without having any CSOR experience at all.

This is falling on deaf ears.  Selective hearing (reading in this case) is not accepting the messages.

George Wallace said:

Fitness and skills you can get a lot of places in the CAF.

PRes positions at CSOR, not many.

It would be a CT to the Reg F and an OT to Special Forces Operator. 

Rider Pride said:
You know what they say about "assume".

:facepalm:

Is it not what the theme of this thread in the past few days seems to be though? That there are no substantial advantages of being a former CSOR Operator trying for JTF2?

Yes JayB, there is NO Santa Clause SUBSTANTIAL advantages to being a former CSOR Operator trying for JTF2. 

George Wallace said:

Yes JayB, there is NO Santa Clause SUBSTANTIAL advantages to being a former CSOR Operator trying for JTF2.

Taken from the CSOR website:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/operations-special-forces/csor-faqs.page?

10. If I successfully become a CSOR Special Forces Operator, can I transfer to JTF 2?

Application and selection for JTF 2 is a separate process; you cannot laterally transfer from CSOR to JTF 2. CSOR Special Forces Operators are required to serve with CSOR for three years after completion of the Special Forces Course (SFC).

3 years may not seem like a long time but it is career-wise.  Best to choose one or the other when you are thinking of going the CANSOFCOM route. 

Back