• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Keep my car, or buy a truck?

Daishi

Inactive
Reaction score
So I'm not quite sure where to put this as its quite out there in terms of topics...but... I work in a Union right now and as such have more money then sense sometimes. As such, I own and daily drive a Muscle Car. A brand new Dodge Challenger to be exact. Now, I love this vehicle, but owning it while in the military doesn't seem to make that much sense.

I bring this up because I was just called and asked to come in to trade in my 1 year old car to buy a new truck. Now the payments will be slightly higher and insurance will be higher because...well... its a truck, there's lots of claims on those.

I'm just looking for an advice on if I should buy a truck for my time while I am in the military, or should I stick with a vehicle I love? Will it put a metaphorical "target" on my back? Is vandalism of vehicles rampant? I would be an AEC officer, so thankfully not an MP  :rofl:

Has anyone gone through this (not so bad) crisis?

P.S I am also hoping that "The Personal" will be negating much of my already ludicrous insurance payments, as I live in Toronto  ;D

From my point of view, there's no reason to change vehicles, especially since you've only had this one for a year. I don't know who you've been talking to but I've never experienced or witnessed any sort of prejudice in the Forces because of what vehicle a person drives. Having a truck offers you absolutely no advantage in the military. People only seem to dish out the cash for them because they either use them in their downtime, or just WANT them. Also, while you're doing your BMOQ and trades training, your pay is borderline criminally low, so adding an extra expense is kind of a dumb idea.

:ditto:

The military should have no impact on this decision. It's totally up to you. Nobody will care what kind of car you have unless it starts putting you into financial distress.

Back