• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kenosha Shooting - split from The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

The question will be is how many yahoos will choose to bring guns to protests and expect the same outcome if they find themselves in a shooting fight.

Given the facts of the case and the laws of the jurisdiction, not a surprising one.

Ultimately it came down to being an analysis of a claim of self defense. No matter how screwed up and wrong the context and situation leading up to it were, when a case turns on whether a particular use of force was legally defensible, most of that bigger context and circumstances stop mattering. It turns on the immediate events leading up to the use of force, and what was reasonably perceived and believed by the person using it.

The only uncertainty I had was about the first shooting. Shooting to stop the guy trying to brain him with the skateboard and the guy pointing the Glock at him were no brainers so long as the first shooting was legally defensible.

Rittenhouse is an idiot, and his life is going to suck tremendously - he’ll probably still get sued for every cent he’ll ever own - but foolish and dangerous choices are not necessarily criminally culpable.

On the contrary he'll probably become very wealthy the same way the Covington Kid did.

Much of his activities leading up to the shootings were admirable. When I consider the history of the people he shot as well as Rittenhouse's own personal history, I feel like today the good guys won.

Hopefully the other good guys and people of Kenosha don’t lose their livelihoods tonight and this week.

Reactions: QV
On the contrary he'll probably become very wealthy the same way the Covington Kid did.

Much of his activities leading up to the shootings were admirable. When I consider the history of the people he shot as well as Rittenhouse's own personal history, I feel like today the good guys won.
Remember though, the Covington kid issue is apples and oranges. I’m sure that Rittenhouse will be pursued in various civil cases.

The prosecutor's conduct was more questionable than the judge's.
Oh they were all behaving oddly. I’m not foolish enough to suggest otherwise.

The celebrity/reality tv criminal justice system is a strange thing with all actors- not just the judge.

On the merits of an appeal- it’s the judge that is talked about. That’s why I mentioned him.

Reactions: QV
Remember though, the Covington kid issue is apples and oranges. I’m sure that Rittenhouse will be pursued in various civil cases.
The POTUS himself stated publicly ahead of the trial without evidence Rittenhouse was a white supremist. And the media carried that "torch" as well. This was an attempt to taint the trial, an extreme level of defamation.

The prosecution team was possibly more whacky than the judge - it's probably not a good plan to point an AR-15 at/towards the jury with your finger on the trigger....among other bits. Did you see his idiocy about exploding hollow point bullets? My goodness, the ignorance...

I friend of mine was pondering how much Christmas looting shopping is going to happen tonight in that area....

- he’ll probably still get sued for every cent he’ll ever own - but foolish and dangerous choices are not necessarily criminally culpable.
Several states now have statutes that do not allow for civil claims when the accused is found not guilty due to self defense.
Besides, if I was him, I would be suing Facebook, and several other sites that had already pronounced him guilty at the offset.

Young kid, chose a an unusual course of action that probably wasn't overly wise - but he didn't do anything illegal, and as such didn't deserve the absolute travesty that the MSM spun up.

The prosecutor's conduct was more questionable than the judge's.
Absolutely - some of the charges (the claim relating to an SBR) where just plain made up - and I would hope the voters take a look at how the DA handles that, and in the next elections therefor.

The POTUS himself stated publicly ahead of the trial without evidence Rittenhouse was a white supremist. And the media carried that "torch" as well. This was an attempt to taint the trial, an extreme level of defamation.
Carrying the torch or reporting what the POTUS said? Big difference. And Covington kid didn’t actually kill anyone or anything really other than sit at a protest and smile.

I agree that Rittenhouse will make money. He’ll need to as I agree with Brihard that he will be sued to a degree that he will likely never see a penny of those proceeds.

The parallel with Nicholas Sandmann is how most media decided to tell the story, and how wrong they got it, and how many of them tried to find ways to cling to the original narrative even as more evidence became publicly available. Two strong lessons that should remind people to disregard or at least be skeptical of early reports of unfolding events.

They were "inaccurate" throughout the entire trial as evidence was presented. When I say "inaccurate" what I really mean is they were willfully dishonest. To what end?

Twitter is going to host many "experts" today. Their fact checkers and community standards people will be working overtime. Maybe the site will even issue a few bans.

Rittenhouse is an idiot, and his life is going to suck tremendously - he’ll probably still get sued for every cent he’ll ever own - but foolish and dangerous choices are not necessarily criminally culpable.
At least the City of Kenosha taxpayers will not get sued.

In today's news, the City of Aurora, CO taxpayers were ordered to pay a mother $15 Million over the death of her son.

The criminal trials get the publicity. But, what grinds my gears is when the taxpayers, just minding their business at home, get sued.

Biden did not "state publicly ahead of the trial without evidence Rittenhouse was a white supremacist"

In a campaign video Biden's team in a tweet showed a video of various street scenes including numerous white supremacists and militia groups marching in the streets in Kenosha and Portland which included a brief scene of Rittenhouse when Kenosha was mentioned. The caption to the video was "There’s no other way to put it: the President of the United States refused to disavow white supremacists on the debate stage last night." This spot was put out right after Trump's stupid exclamation "Proud Boys? Stand Back and Stand By." during the debates.

Rittenhouse's mother, who dropped him off in Kenosha, speaking to Hannity, considered that defamation.

There is a large difference between that video and your assertion.

🍻

I don't think that is correct, according to court records he drove himself.
Rittenhouse Testified He Drove Himself to Kenosha Without Weapon
I could be wrong about that aspect. I took that from this quote which might not be the most accurate:

Speaking to Hannity on Thursday, Wendy Rittenhouse, who dropped her son off at the scene of the violence in Kenosha last year, said that she was furious with Biden.

It wouldn't be the first time that an article was off even though this allegation was in wide circulation until his testimony. Interestingly it appears he also testified that he didn't have a driver's license at the time. :unsure:

🍻

Back