• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Killings by pirates on the rise

Spr.Earl

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Killings by pirates on the rise

Indonesia suffered 50 attacks in the first half of 2004

The body that monitors piracy around the world has reported a sharp rise in the number of ships crew killed in the first half of 2004.
The International Maritime Bureau says 30 crew members were killed, twice as many as in the same period last year.

It is the highest number of piracy related killings for a decade, despite a global fall in the number of attacks.

Half of those killed were in Nigerian waters. Other hot spots were Vietnam, Bangladesh, and the Philippines.

"The increased ferocity and the number of attacks are linked to law and order problems ashore," the British-based bureau said in a report released by its piracy watch centre in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

"The (Nigerian) authorities are under pressure and unable to respond adequately to attacks at sea."

Guns and knives

The number of attacks around the world fell by almost a quarter compared to the same period last year, but the situation in the Malacca Strait deteriorated.

Attacks on vessels in the world's busiest sea lane rose by 33%.

Last week, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore started coordinated naval patrols of the Straits in response.

Eighty two of the 182 incidents reported worldwide in the first half of the year happened in their waters, most of them in Indonesian territory.

Indonesia suffered 50 attacks, although the figure was lower than the 64 reported in the first half of last year.

"It was also the location where the greatest violence was experienced, with many of the pirates armed with guns and knives," the IMB said.

The IMB said it saw no signs that the attacks would abate "unless Indonesia takes serious steps to address the problem".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3925277.stm

There is an island off of Somolia that is supposed a pirate haven as well....funny thing though with umpteen naval vessels in the area at any given time or within a days sail they have been as docile as lambs. Deterence works. :)

I researched modern pirates for a bit, just for fun a few months back.

They don't seem to have nearly as much fun as the pirates did when it was the golden age of sail.
They do it out of desperation rather than the love of anarchy and grog...yarr

Anyone ever read any Clive Cussler novels? He usually does a bit on ye ol' privateers and the like.

Ex-Dragoon and Che, I think you guys would especially enjoy Cussler.

Ex-Dragoon said:
There is an island off of Somolia that is supposed a pirate haven as well....funny thing though with umpteen naval vessels in the area at any given time or within a days sail they have been as docile as ambs. Deterence works. :)
It has been there for years Ex.!!!!!

Back in 74,I was on a Norewegian ship the M.S. Bris, when we recieved a Message "Pirate's,Straight's of Mallaca Watch for speed boat's"!!

We had   loaded Iron Ore in Goa (India) and were just entering the strait's for Japan and where going to Singapore for Bunker's and Store's.

I was on the 12 to 4 watch a.m. about 03:30,a speed boat came along side and they threw a heaving a line aboard us and this bugger came aboard,the Mate instructed me too see what give's!
I grabbed a Fire Axe and whent down from the bridge,it was some dumb fuck getting his space for the Tax Free Shop (big buisness ),I nearly wacked him!!!
Yes quite scarry!!

Yes I have lived with the fear of Pirates as a Seaman.

It's ahard life with out the worry of Pirate's.

Back