• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

King Charles III Coronation Medal

I did just a few months shy of 42 years. I have never seen this happen with any commemorative medal during my time and don't expect it will happen in the future, either "because that's how it's always been done."
Like you, my Dad was just shy of 42 years over a period that covered the Queen's Coronation, Centennial and the Silver Jubilee medals, none of which he received. In the first instance, his CO at 17 ROD in Vancouver just pointed to his Second World War ribbons and left it at that. He was never too fussed about it.

It should be limited to MCpl and below for NCM and Lieutenants for officers.

I think the drill is usually the 'opposite to the meal line up' policy ;)

Happy Dave Bautista GIF by My Spy

It should be limited to MCpl and below for NCM and Lieutenants for officers.

When they came out with the "buck and a quarter medal" 125th Anniversary of Confederation Medal in 1992, originally there wasn't a quota for military. When they later added a quantity for the CF, the distribution was a clusterf**k or at least that's how it seemed in Germany. It appeared that they were given a quantity and then told to hand them out as they seemed fit. In Baden, the BHosp was told that one (1) could go to an NCM and we were to provide a name. The officers and the HWO gathered to discuss who should receive the honour. I (and the BSurg) were relative newcomers, having been posted up from Lahr to oversee the closure. After the rest of the officers spent most of that coffee break discussing the merits of specific individuals without coming to a conclusion, I interjected with the questions "who's the youngest private", "is he competent", "has he noticeably fucked up anytime in the last year". That became the name that we submitted.

After the rest of the officers spent most of that coffee break discussing the merits of specific individuals without coming to a conclusion, I interjected with the questions "who's the youngest private", "is he competent", "has he noticeably fucked up anytime in the last year". That became the name that we submitted.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

When they came out with the "buck and a quarter medal" 125th Anniversary of Confederation Medal in 1992, originally there wasn't a quota for military. When they later added a quantity for the CF, the distribution was a clusterf**k or at least that's how it seemed in Germany. It appeared that they were given a quantity and then told to hand them out as they seemed fit. In Baden, the BHosp was told that one (1) could go to an NCM and we were to provide a name. The officers and the HWO gathered to discuss who should receive the honour. I (and the BSurg) were relative newcomers, having been posted up from Lahr to oversee the closure. After the rest of the officers spent most of that coffee break discussing the merits of specific individuals without coming to a conclusion, I interjected with the questions "who's the youngest private", "is he competent", "has he noticeably fucked up anytime in the last year". That became the name that we submitted.
When the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal came out, a USAF exchange officer working in the ADM (IM) was placed in charge of managing the automated selection process for the CAF. That was perfect as she would not be eligible to receive it.

"ThAt'S wHaT tHe Cd Is FoR!"

Such a lame excuse. Also lame when applied to the lack of DOMOPS honours and awards. We do such a piss poor job of recognizing our guys. Not saying we go full American (never go full American), but sometimes some ribbons and gongs are good for morale.

There should absolutely be a DOMOPS medal, with bars for certain numbers of day. It should be recognised for what it is - an extraordinary operation, not one that the military is designed to do. It would also incentivise the Army Reservists. Men will do a lot for a bit of coloured ribbon.

There should absolutely be a DOMOPS medal, with bars for certain numbers of day. It should be recognised for what it is - an extraordinary operation, not one that the military is designed to do. It would also incentivise the Army Reservists. Men will do a lot for a bit of coloured ribbon.
Not to mention it's frequently far more dangerous than most deployments. 30 consecutive days would be appropriate imo.

If a civilian version of FEMA could earn a medal for 30 cumulative days in a calendar year, a CAF medal with similar criteria makes sense.

There should absolutely be a DOMOPS medal, with bars for certain numbers of day. It should be recognised for what it is - an extraordinary operation, not one that the military is designed to do. It would also incentivise the Army Reservists. Men Service members will do a lot for a bit of coloured ribbon.

There, Gender Neutralized that FY ;)

"ThAt'S wHaT tHe Cd Is FoR!"

Such a lame excuse. Also lame when applied to the lack of DOMOPS honours and awards. We do such a piss poor job of recognizing our guys. Not saying we go full American (never go full American), but sometimes some ribbons and gongs are good for morale.
The is entirely too much morale here ! See that , that's fixed Sargent Major . Tuit suite!

If a civilian version of FEMA could earn a medal for 30 cumulative days in a calendar year, a CAF medal with similar criteria makes sense.
Although I would note that a standard civilian deployment is usually 14-18 days for any wildfire/flood and going over 24 I have never seen happen in the last 20+ years.

Are you thinking more like the Australian one?

I would argue if the CAF is called out it's already hit the criteria of a National Emergency. They have a bar for each year/event

They also have some state specific ones for other incidents although some issue Citations and others medals as I understand it.

Under the current Canadian disaster response plan, NGO volunteers are expected to deploy between 7 to 21 days, for a single event. In 2023, the East coast saw three major events requiring both civilization and CAF deployments. So achieving a 30 day cumulative criteria is currently possible and disaster events are increasing.

Although I would note that a standard civilian deployment is usually 14-18 days for any wildfire/flood and going over 24 I have never seen happen in the last 20+ years.

Are you thinking more like the Australian one?

I would argue if the CAF is called out it's already hit the criteria of a National Emergency. They have a bar for each year/event

They also have some state specific ones for other incidents although some issue Citations and others medals as I understand it.
There is currently an Bill tabled to created something similar, C-386. That said, it's a Tory Private Members Bill so it has about as much hope getting to second reading as a Bill to award me $1000000

There is currently an Bill tabled to created something similar, C-386. That said, it's a Tory Private Members Bill so it has about as much hope getting to second reading as a Bill to award me $1000000
We've been down this road a couple of times before. The end reault is always the same. No domestic operations medal is needed or desired by the government.

We've been down this road a couple of times before. The end reault is always the same. No domestic operations medal is needed or desired by the government.
That’s right. I mean, they are doing us a favour in the first place, right?

I did just a few months shy of 42 years. I have never seen this happen with any commemorative medal during my time and don't expect it will happen in the future, either "because that's how it's always been done."
Getting close and same - At least this time they have tried to gear it more towards the lower ranks instead of whoever the CO drinks with. Still doesn't change my mind of how it should be instead of how it is and will be.
Of course, the government can't get a DOMOP medal so why have it? I expect more medals to go to the politicians and their associates than the military. I am thinking that at least one had the thought of "do we have to give them to the military".

We were discussing this at work yesterday and sure enough with the requirements to be met it has started as someone brought up that when they see some members wearing it they will wonder if it is because they deserved it or is it because they were the one in the unit that hit the most check marks of Junior NCM/Officer, PRes, French Speaking, Female.

By not giving to everyone, setting criteria that is supposed to make it an honour and then stipulating X number must go to group A, B and C in the unit it becomes tarnished and questionable. Kind of like giving it to Justin Beiber.

There should absolutely be a DOMOPS medal, with bars for certain numbers of day.

For reference to the discussion,

8 pages.

Getting close and same - At least this time they have tried to gear it more towards the lower ranks instead of whoever the CO drinks with. Still doesn't change my mind of how it should be instead of how it is and will be.

Of course, the government can't get a DOMOP medal so why have it? I expect more medals to go to the politicians and their associates than the military. I am thinking that at least one had the thought of "do we have to give them to the military".

We were discussing this at work yesterday and sure enough with the requirements to be met it has started as someone brought up that when they see some members wearing it they will wonder if it is because they deserved it or is it because they were the one in the unit that hit the most check marks of Junior NCM/Officer, PRes, French Speaking, Female.

By not giving to everyone, setting criteria that is supposed to make it an honour and then stipulating X number must go to group A, B and C in the unit it becomes tarnished and questionable. Kind of like giving it to Justin Beiber.
I have heard that every unit is supposed to nominate at least two females. I don't know if that is local or national. I know for some units finding two females to nominate, but for some infantry units they could potentially be scraping the bottom of the barrel based on the numbers of females.
The other thing is we might see people receive them with less than five years service, which I know isn't a requirement in Canada, but you would think that if we are going to be more restrictive with awarding them, we should at least have more restrictive standards than the British.

Back