• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Knee injury.

bms

Inactive
Reaction score
A few years ago, I broke a bone in my knee(in line with the shin) at a 45 degree angle, which required emergency reconstructive surgery. I spent about 4 months getting back to walking, then another month or so to get back to running. Today, I am perfectly fine. In fact, my knee had no issue on the Outward Bound -  Scotland course I took this summer, even through the Connaught Assault Course, an Iron Man, Army Cadet Force Infantry Training, Obstacle Courses, as well as the many other activities.

I've been reading a lot about injury and the CF, and the answers are all over the place. However, I do have an official document from my Orthopedic surgeon stating that my knee is perfect(despite the injury being visible, a lump of bone on the bottom part of the joint).

The question I have is this: Will this document hold up on a medical? Will it nullify the effect that the injury would likely have on my success if I didn't have one?

Thanks.

The only way to get a definitive answer is to undergo the medical review as part of the recruiting process.  Some here may make guesses (educated ones or otherwise), but no-one can give you a guarantee.

Sage advice, Michael.

My two cents: get your medical file in order before you apply. See your doctor and get a consult to your ortho surgeon, or failing that, ensure that the latest documentation is in your file. Either one of these will make things go smoother once you apply to join. Without seeing either you or your file it would be improper of me to guess at your prospects.

I'm just starting the application process, I know there's a whole process to things but I was just wondering if my chances are lessened because of a pre-existing knee injury? I tore both the ACL and MCL in my right knee in the summer of 2004, I had knee surgery about 2-3 months after it happened and its good as new, I don't feel any pain, soreness or fatigue in my knee at all, are there any other recruits or members that have the same issues?

The same advice from above holds true to you - make sure you have up to date info from your family doc and if accessible, your orthopedic surgeon.  Pre-emptively get a letter from one or both of them commenting on your status and bring it with you to your medical - it'll help things go that more smoothly.

MM

Well I guess you will find out soon enough. And the only thing you can do about it is give them doctors notes and signatures. A lot of them ;D

Back