• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

knives and the temptation of the edged weapon....

I paid $52 for my kershay folder from our kitshop if Shilo and so far I'm impressed. I'd love to get MOD or Stryder, but too much $$$. Another good investment is a kukri, I have cold steel one, f****n awsome for clearing brush and arcs around your defensive or biv site! Even further (I don't have one) are hatchet's or tomahawks, I know some of the boys have them, and there pretty handy! ;D

BITTER PPCLI CPL said:
I paid $52 for my kershay folder from our kitshop if Shilo and so far I'm impressed. I'd love to get MOD or Stryder, but too much $$$. Another good investment is a kukri, I have cold steel one, f****n awsome for clearing brush and arcs around your defensive or biv site! Even further (I don't have one) are hatchet's or tomahawks, I know some of the boys have them, and there pretty handy!
Cold Steel Rifleman's Hawk. Love it. It lives in my ruck. I got tired of machetes breaking and smashing my fingers with a rock when I needed a hammer.

Hey there team,

I have an opportunity for you.  I purchased two books of the same title WAYNE GODDARD'S $50 KNIFE SHOP so I decided to re-list it on eBay.

Please check it out and happy bidding, I think anyone with a passion for the edged art would love this book!

dileas

tess

Tess, just in the process of getting all the pieces together to build my forge.  Good thing there's an inexhaustible supply of shootin' cars in nearby yards with leafsprings to heist.  Is it strictly a machined blade book, or does it cover bashing hot metal too?

Kat

Kat,

I made my anti armour knife from a chain saw bar. Took a lot of work, had to start with the rough cut using a gas axe, then the majority of the shaping was done with a disc grinder. I'll try and post pictures tomorrow. But the chain saw bar has worked great. The knife is now over 20 yrs old and shows no signs of wear.

have not read it yet, I was hoping to kick start my interest with the book.

I am itching to start making my own pieces.

but alas I have found a buyer.  :D

dileas

tess

When I had  life, and no wife, I experimented with making some blanks out of an old 5/8" cable I found.  Made a real nice Damascus type pattern, but a crapload of heating and hammering.  Just recently rekindled (pun intended) my interest in smashing hot metal with a hammer.  Chainsaw bars make outstanding blades too.

Just Purchased one of these, been a fan of Both Grohman and Cold Steel,

csstoreonline_1939_997155

The Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife takes inspiration from a 1950’s classic. It has all the features that made the original an award-winning, international favorite. Our more contemporary version is made out of 4116 Krupp Stainless steel and hollow ground to a razor edge. It will glide through just about any material because its elliptical profile is very efficient at reducing cutting drag. The Polypropylene handle is equally efficient, fitting snugly in virtually any hand. It’s slightly offset in relation to the blade to keep one’s fingers safely out of the way. Light and tough enough to endure hard knocks, it will never break or fall apart in the way a traditional wood handle is prone to do. This 2-ounce blade comes complete with a pouch style black Cordura sheath. It’s light, slim and compact enough to carry on your belt or slung from a cord around your neck day in and day out.

Specifications:
Blade: 4"
Overall: 8½"
Thick: 2.5mm
Weight: 2.2 oz.
Sheath: Cordura

dileas

tess

Knives are a personal thing also. It is all well and good to check one out in a catalog and buy it, but what allot of people forget is that is needs to have a comfortable grip for you hand type.

I suggest finding a good Army Navy shop or knife shop where you can go and hold the knife check it out for size wight and grip. There isn't anything worse then spending $200 on a knife just to find it to heavy and awkward for the job you want to use it for.

I've used a Randall Model 14 for about 20 years now, carried it in Iraq, never had any problems with it. Of course I wasnt fighting duels with it either.

Over the last 25 years I've had/used;

o-M3 Trenchknife(Kinfolks 1943 issue)

o-M1917 Trenchknife(Brass Knuckle knife, not as usefull as I originally thought)

o-USMC "K-bar" with Kydex sheath(Leather one rotted away in 1983)

o-Randall Model 1 with 9" toolsteel blade

o-Numerous leathermans, issue gerbers

o-German Fallschirmjager gravity knife

Only one's lost/stolen were several Leathermans(especially the first years they were out, everyone wanted one)

LineDoggie said:
o-M3 Trenchknife(Kinfolks 1943 issue)

You M3 might be worth a little bit of $$$. I often trade in these knives. I have two, a Camillus post war job in M8A1 scabbard, which I am using here, and an original Case, c.1944 with early M8 scabbard, safely back home in my humble edged collection of things.

If you have a leather original M6 scabbard, with that knife you could be talking $500US or more!!

For a folder, I am using a Gerber 'combat folder' based on the Applegaite/Fairbairn design, and considereing I got it given to me, who's complaining. They go for about $83.00US at the PX's here in Shyteland. I don't know their value in Canada, yet alone Australia.

Cheers from an almost too hot of a day here in Baghdaddy,

Wes

I did sell a Camillus wartime M3 for $285US about 12 months ago.

WW11 M3 Kinfolks with original M6 scabbard price is 400. to 700.US. M3 WW11Case around 200. to350. us  :cdn:

Flawed Design said:
Any feedback on the SOG Seal 2000 or SOG Seal pup knives?

I've really enjoyed my SOG Seal Pup...I found the SEAL a bit too big, but I love the size, balance, grip, and feel of the Seal Pup.

I like the hook cut out in the sheath so that you can cut string/wire without removing the knife from it's sheath. I also like that the belt attachment is also hard plastic, and is a slide lock for easy attachment/detachment from your belt.

What I don't like is that the lock is a bit too wide, meaning it can slide around a bit if your belt isn't too thick. I'd also like to see the belt attachment run the whole back of the sheath, not just halfway down, so that I could adjust how where on my belt it stands...A clip belt attachment IMO would be best...

Either way, I give the knife itself a big 2 thumbs up.

SOG Seal 2000 or SOG Seal pup. Are good working knives.You should also look at SOG Seal TEAM Elite in SOG Seal PUP ELITE. The are made from AUS 6 STEEL. witch is easy to sharpen . They are both good knifes.Seal 2000 is a little big the pups are more usefull. because of there size.

as soon as you mention the Grohmann belt knife i remembered seeing this beauty of a piece of steel:
http://www.joedrouin.com/abe-knife.htm

Regulator!

The very knife you describe, I use to open my mail!

It was Dad's He was a physician-don't know what that means.

He used it to gut more than a few ducks - Again .... don't know.

Still - nice knife.

Keeps an edge, easy to hang on to. esp. if you have small hands.

My grandmother had a Sikh ceremonial knife with a false edge.
Great for scaring away intruders.  Keep that on my desk too!

It's been my personal experience that larger knives (With blades over 3 or 4 inches) are generally a waste, and just extra weight to carry around for the "LCF" (Though I'll forgive the venerable kukri right away, as I'm quite sure you could use it to chop down a tree in a pinch).

I've got to echo what somone else said about CRKT, fantastic knives... particularly anything in the M16 series... all quick one handed opening action... when I was buying, I needed somthing that could be opened while using my other hand to keep from falling off somthing... I chose it over a spring assisted smith and wesson knife, as the opening action was just as quick, but they're designed so they can be easily taken apart for cleaning and maintenence... I've got a M16 04Z and an M16 13SF (Bought cheap at a USAF BX) and I'm surprised Sig Des hasn't bragged about his, he's got a nice one...

If you buy one, go with the basic M16 series, my M16 04Z is a fantastic knife, fits perfectly into a spare gerber belt pouch I had. I found the "hilt" (They just widened the flipper, and added a mirror image of it on the opposite side) on the SF series (Particularly, my M16 13SF) were more in the way then anything, plus it was just a bit too long to fit in the same pouch as the other one. If you can find one for a decent price, I'm guessing the M16 titanium series would be better still.

Just a Sig Op said:
I've got a M16 04Z and an M16 13SF (Bought cheap at a USAF BX) and I'm surprised Sig Des hasn't bragged about his, he's got a nice one...

How could I forget!  ;D

I got myself the M16-12 Aluminum.

I like the sharp edge along with the serrated edge. Fits very nicely in my combats pocket without being too long or bulky, very slim. With a 3 inch blade, it was good for anything we needed.

I'd picked it up at the 1 RCR Kit shop, somewhere in the 72-78$ range. The Blade was a bit stiff at first, but Just a Sig Op, always one to take things apart, opened up my knife, we cleaned out the The pivot, lubricated the teflon bearings a bit, and after that it had a very smooth, very fast one-handed opening and closing.

One of my favourite knives.

Back