• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ladies.......dive team

tracie_anderson

Inactive
Reaction score
I am going through the process for naval combat information operator (reserves).

I am giving it a lot of thought about the potential of being part of the dive team, and would love to hear experiences from other ladies!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Female RMS Clerk I know was on Ship's dive team. If you can do the PT, you can do the course.

PuckChaser said:
Female RMS Clerk I know was on Ship's dive team. If you can do the PT, you can do the course.
This is probably a stupid question (sorry new to all the terms), but what does PT stand for?

tracie_anderson said:
This is probably a stupid question (sorry new to all the terms), but what does PT stand for?

Physical training. Being physically fit enough.

Yes, but the original poster indicated that she is joining the naval reserve.

In the naval reserve, diving is a trade separate and distinct from the other trades: Inspection Divers. If you don't transfer over to that trade, you don't get to be a reserve diver. As a NCIOP, in the reserve, you don't dive.

Unfortunately, that's how it has to be since reservists have a limited amount of time and diving is one of those quals that require ongoing exercising of the skill on a constant basis to remain qualified.

Like I said: only the inspection Divers get to do diving in the Naval reserve.

Moreover, in the reserves in general, trade dictates where you can work. After the naval reserve went out of the medical business years ago, we ceased to employ Medical Officer, Nursing Officers and Med A's. This means that if someone wants to join the reserves as a Med A, that person must go to an Army unit that employs them (and I could be wrong, but it normally means a Field Ambulance unit).

Contrary to the regular force, the Med As in the reserve are not "distributed" amongst the various elemental uniforms.

mariomike said:
That would also be true for Medical Assistants?
There have been no medical positions in the Naval Reserve since about 1996. The only medical personnel you would now see are those on the MARCOM PRL. Typically folks who retired from the RegF, and have joined their local NRD. You could probably count the number on one hand.

[quote name="Oldgateboatdriver" post=1466570 timestamp=1480683705]
As a NCIOP, in the reserve, you don't dive.
[/quote]

That would also be true for Medical Assistants?

[quote name="tracie_anderson" post=1464569 timestamp=1479607288]
I am 42 years old (soon to be 43), and I just put my application in to the reserves for a med assistant.
[/quote]

[quote name="tracie_anderson" post=1464571 timestamp=1479608568]
OK, I just put my application in for the reserves, as a medical assistant.
[/quote]

Yes I did put my application in for medical assistant (as first choice) but they are persuing me for naval combat information operator rather than medical assistant

When I was at Fleet Diving Unit (Pacific), there were a few female Port Inspection Divers...there was one female Clearance Diver there as well.

MM

Oldgateboatdriver said:

In the naval reserve, diving is a trade separate and distinct from the other trades: Inspection Divers. If you don't transfer over to that trade, you don't get to be a reserve diver. As a NCIOP, in the reserve, you don't dive.
This is dated information - now the STD (i.e. the PID QL1) course is open to all trades in NAVRES, and taking it prior to submitting a request to OT is the preferred way to join the trade (owing to the high failure rate, they want to see that you can pass the course before going through the process of the OT).

[quote name="Oldgateboatdriver" post=1466570 timestamp=1480683705]

[/quote]
This is dated information - now the STD (i.e. the PID QL1) course is open to all trades in NAVRES, and taking it prior to submitting a request to OT is the preferred way to join the trade (owing to the high failure rate, they want to see that you can pass the course before going through the process of the OT).
Thanks Monsoon

ModlrMike said:
There have been no medical positions in the Naval Reserve since about 1996. The only medical personnel you would now see are those on the MARCOM PRL. Typically folks who retired from the RegF, and have joined their local NRD. You could probably count the number on one hand.

Because, like, it's pretty safe on a warship in action... right?  :sarcasm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21g2cZDJ7UE

daftandbarmy said:
Because, like, it's pretty safe on a warship in action... right?  :sarcasm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21g2cZDJ7UE
The decision to cut all medical positions from the NAVRES was made by the Navy leadership, and those positions were transferred to hard Navy trades.

Back