• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LAV III Mobile Gun System (MGS)

• Thread starter Thread starter mattoigta
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw Tom, whats your wife going to say? :-X

Its more like a lame cougar with a tooth ache (MGS that is...).

:P

We can't afford pumpkins. We'll have to settle for cantalopes from the discount grocer.

mainerjohnthomas said:
who knew the Air Farce was dabbling in CF procurement (although it figures).

You should have realized that when they got their CADPAT before the rest of us. :salute:

Boats have propellors.  They took our propellors away.  Too dangerous. 

Tom

I don't quite remember where I heard this from, but can anyone clear this up.
Is it true that the MGS Can't fire while on the move and/or reload while on the move?
Thanks to anyone who can clear that up for me.

Cheers,

Dan

Whiskey_Dan said:
Is it true that the MGS Can't fire while on the move and/or reload while on the move?
It is a stabalized cannon.  That means, if the stab works, it can fire on the move.

Whiskey_Dan said:

As MCG said, it can fire while moving. It just cannot re-load while doing so.

How about a potato gun? Always had fun with those when I was a kid.  >:D

Crimson Army said:
I may still be learning about this kinda stuff, but I think the MGS will be allot better for the Army then the leopards. The leopards we couldn't move over seas or anywere for that matter(I like the leopards, but they are not what Canada needs), but the MGS will give us some indepence when it comes to direct fire.

Not in the forces yet.....not old enough to join yet....can't wait to get his hands on a C9....    ::)

Obviously didn't read all the threads on the subject....just piping in without any substance.

What do you know about direct fire exactly?

::)

Regards

Zipper said:
As MCG said, it can fire while moving. It just cannot re-load while doing so.

Somewhere I have a grainy video of MGS firing with stab...the platform rock is brutal... (although not quite as bad as the Cougar's "see the sky, see the ground, add 100, loaded!"  CC drill... ;D)

Franko said:
Not in the forces yet.....not old enough to join yet....can't wait to get his hands on a C9....     ::)

Obviously didn't read all the threads on the subject....just piping in without any substance.

What do you know about direct fire exactly?

::)

Regards

Way less than you know about monkeys????  ;)

If the MGS can fire on the move, but not reload on the move, doesn't that make it a little hard to "shoot and scoot"?  Since it has little armour, light weapons (in the direct fire game), little ammunition, its only advantage is mobility.  If it can't reload and stay mobile, then it is about as much use in a direct fire engagement as a regular LAVIII with a TOW mount to agument its bushmaster (I saw that turret option on one of the Stryker/LAV sales sites).  They both have one anti-vehicle or bunker-buster salvo per engagement, but the LAVIII has a 25mm backup, while the MGS has to chose between manoevering to stay alive, or stopping to reload.  Considering the low amunition levels of an MGS, a platoon of LAVIII with TOW paired with the autocannon would probably have the same total firepower as a regular LAV platoon with an attatched MGS, while providing greater tactical flexibility, and redundancy.  Also, the TOW has a better ability to deal with enemy armour than a non-uranium 105mm.

mainerjohnthomas said:
     If the MGS can fire on the move, but not reload on the move, doesn't that make it a little hard to "shoot and scoot"?   Since it has little armour, light weapons (in the direct fire game), little ammunition, its only advantage is mobility.   If it can't reload and stay mobile, then it is about as much use in a direct fire engagement as a regular LAVIII with a TOW mount to agument its bushmaster (I saw that turret option on one of the Stryker/LAV sales sites).   They both have one anti-vehicle or bunker-buster salvo per engagement, but the LAVIII has a 25mm backup, while the MGS has to chose between manoevering to stay alive, or stopping to reload.   Considering the low amunition levels of an MGS, a platoon of LAVIII with TOW paired with the autocannon would probably have the same total firepower as a regular LAV platoon with an attatched MGS, while providing greater tactical flexibility, and redundancy.   Also, the TOW has a better ability to deal with enemy armour than a non-uranium 105mm.

I'd rather have LAV III twinned with Javelin/Spike-Gill (fire and forget, no wires).

"I'd rather have LAV III twinned with Javelin/Spike-Gill (fire and forget, no wires)."

- I agree.  Plus, we need to develop a good Thermo-Baric round for the 84mm Carly G.

- It was Canada who started developing the cocept of DU Ammo (originally for the 20mm ammo the Badger APC and later the Lynx was going to use), and this data helped the USA develop their tank tube ammo.  We should - if we are going to take light forces seriiosly, consider fuel air/ thermobarics for our hand held 84 and veh mtd 105 guns.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back