• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LAV III Roll-Over, 02 Mar 06, 6 Injuried and 2 Dead

cbt arms sub tech

Inactive
Reaction score
1 Canadian soldier killed, 7 injured in Afghan crash
Last Updated Thu, 02 Mar 2006 04:48:23 EST
CBC News
A Canadian soldier was killed and seven others injured Thursday when their armoured vehicle ran off a road near Kandahar, said a military spokesperson.

INDEPTH: Canada's casualties

Four of the soldiers were airlifted to a nearby Canadian military base, while the other four were taken to hospital by ambulance. One soldier died on arrival, two are in critical condition and five are in stable condition.

They have not been identified.

Nine Canadian soldiers have been killed in the mission to Afghanistan.

It's not clear what caused the accident, but it appears to be similar to a November crash near the southern Afghan city of Kandahar that killed one soldier and injured four others.

INDEPTH: Nov. 24, 2005 incident

Pte. Braun Scott Woodfield, 24, died when his LAV-3 armoured carrier turned over while patrolling a local highway.

There are 2,200 Canadian troops in southern Afghanistan, led by Canadian Brig.-Gen. David Fraser.

A bit more info....

http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-03-02T103246Z_01_ISL211397_RTRIDST_0_CANADA-AFGHAN-CANADA-COL.XML

"KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (Reuters) - A Canadian soldier was killed and seven injured when their vehicle overturned in southern Afghanistan on Thursday, officials said.

The incident happened on a road leading west from the city of Kandahar. Police said a Canadian jeep hit the back of a car that had slowed down and both vehicles tumbled off the embanked highway.

Two of the injured soldiers were in critical condition, a statement from the U.S.-led military force in Afghanistan said, adding that the cause of the incident was under investigation.

Police said two Afghan civilians were also hurt."

Condolences.....

CBC said a press conference should be coming up soon. My thoughts are with the families.

milnewstbay said:
A bit more info....

http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-03-02T103246Z_01_ISL211397_RTRIDST_0_CANADA-AFGHAN-CANADA-COL.XML

"KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (Reuters) - A Canadian soldier was killed and seven injured when their vehicle overturned in southern Afghanistan on Thursday, officials said.

The incident happened on a road leading west from the city of Kandahar. Police said a Canadian jeep hit the back of a car that had slowed down and both vehicles tumbled off the embanked highway.

It is too early to speculate, however, 8 people in a LUVW???? Not likely.

Two of the injured soldiers were in critical condition, a statement from the U.S.-led military force in Afghanistan said, adding that the cause of the incident was under investigation.

Police said two Afghan civilians were also hurt."

Condolences.....

Our thoughts and prayers are always with the troops. Sending our condolences to everyone.....

Nos pensées et prières sont toujours avec les troupes.  Envoyant nos condoléances à chacun.....

S.Bradbury
    :cdn:

The accident involved a LAV-3 armoured carrier and appears to be similar to a November crash near the southern Afghan city of Kandahar that killed one soldier and injured four others.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/03/02/cda-afghanistan060302.html

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060301/canada_afghanistan_060302/20060302?hub=TopStories

Cdn. soldier killed, 7 wounded in Afghanistan

Updated Thu. Mar. 2 2006 7:28 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A Canadian soldier was killed and seven others were injured -- two critically -- after a Canadian armoured vehicle ran off the road Thursday in Kandahar.

Four were evacuated by helicopter to a medical hospital in Kandahar. The four others, including an Afghan interpreter, were taken to hospital by ambulance.

One soldier died upon arrival at the Kandahar Airfield, a large U.S.-run military base that also houses most of the Canadian troops in Afghanistan.

Two soldiers are in serious condition. One is in surgery. The other will not require surgery, according to the military. However, both are expected to be evacuated to the U.S. military hospital in Germany.

Names have not been released.

The LAV 3 vehicle tipped over on a road about seven kilometres west of Kandahar. The soldiers had been on a standard patrol.

It was not immediately clear what caused the accident. There have been reports that another vehicle hitting the LAV 3, but that has not been confirmed yet.

The crash appears to be similar to the one in November, in which a Canadian soldier was killed and four others wounded when an armoured vehicle also ran off a road near Kandahar.

CTV's Matt McClure, who has ridden in a LAV 3, said it has great blast protection, and is outfitted with excellent weaponry, cameras and night vision.

"There is one criticism, however. With all of the heavy armour that these vehicles currently have on them, it does make them top heavy and prone to tip overs," McClure told CTV's Newsnet.

This latest fatality brings to 10 the number of Canadians killed in Afghanistan since 2002.

That includes four soldiers killed by U.S. friendly fire, and a senior Canadian diplomat killed in January in a suicide bombing. Anti-tank mines killed two soldiers, a suicide bomber killed one, and one died in another road accident.

On Wednesday, Prime Minister Stephen Harper pledged unwavering support to Canadian Forces in Afghanistan and issued a stern rebuke to Liberal MPs who have questioned Canada's role in the war-torn nation.

"You do not send men and women into harm's way on a dangerous mission with the support of our party and other Canadians, and then decide when they're over there that you're not sure you should have sent them. That's not the way this government is going to behave," Harper said.

Canada's role in Afghanistan has increased recently, as Brig.-Gen. David Fraser has assumed command of a new multinational force that includes 2,200 Canadians. They will patrol six provinces in the southern part of Afghanistan.

Thoughts and condolences to the families.

Regards

One Canadian soldier killed, seven injured in Afghan armoured vehicle crash
Updated at 7:39 on March 2, 2006, EST.

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - A Canadian armoured vehicle ran off the road Thursday in the Kandahar area of southern Afghanistan, killing one soldier and injuring seven - two of them critically, Canadian military officials said.

Four of the injured were airlifted from the site of the accident by helicopter, while the others were taken in an ambulance by road.

All were eventually transported to Kandahar Airfield, the large U.S.-run military base that's also housing most of Canada's 2,200 troops in southern Afghanistan.

One soldier died upon arrival, two were in critical condition while the remaining five were in stable condition, said Lieut. Mark MacIntyre.

Among the injured are six Canadian soldiers and a civilian interpreter whose nationality is not immediately known.

John Morris, a spokesman for the Department of National Defence in Ottawa, said the casualties were "believed to be the result of a vehicle accident."

It was not immediately clear what caused the accident, but officials said terrorist activity was not suspected at this time. The identities of the dead and wounded had not yet been released.

The crash appears to be similar to one last November in which a Canadian soldier was killed and four others were wounded. They were travelling in an armoured vehicle that also ran off a road near Kandahar.

The soldier killed Thursday is the 10th Canadian to die in Afghanistan since 2002.

Four soldiers were killed by friendly fire, two by anti-tank mines, one at the hand of a suicide bomber, one in another road accident, and a senior Canadian diplomat was killed in January in a suicide bomb attacking.

The 2,200 Canadian troops in southern Afghanistan are led by Canadian Brig.-Gen. David Fraser, who took command of a multinational brigade in the Kandahar region earlier this week.

From the Canadian Free Press - Note Bolded line - this is the first I have heard this.

Please keep the focus on the facts and not go into any sort of inuendo....

Regards

From DWAN - Canadian Free Press - Says Soldiers are B Coy from Shilo

Note: Is in French

HL:Un soldat canadien a été tué ce matin dans un accident en Afghanistan

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (PC) _ Un soldat canadien a été tué et six autres ainsi qu'un civil ont été blessés lorsque le véhicule blindé dans lequel ils prenaient place a effectué un tonneau sur une route près de Kandahar, en Afghanistan, ce matin (jeudi).
Il ne s'agit pas d'un attentat, selon toute vraisemblance, mais les causes de l'accident ne sont pas encore connues.
Les soldats sont de la compagnie B de Shilo, au Manitoba. Un traducteur figure au nombre des blessés.
Des quatre soldats blessés transportés par voie aérienne à un hôpital situé près de la base canadienne de Kandahar, deux seraient dans un état critique. Les autres ont été emmenés en ambulance et leur état est considéré stable.
Les circonstances de cette tragédie ressemblent à celles ayant causé la mort d'un soldat canadien et les blessures subies par quatre autres lors d'un accident survenu en novembre dernier à bord d'un autre véhicule blindé canadien, dans la même région.
Quelque 2200 Canadiens participent actuellement à la mission de reconstruction de l'Afghanistan, à Kandahar. Depuis que le Canada a délégué des troupes dans ce pays, en 2002, neuf soldats et un diplomate canadiens ont perdu la vie.

Another article with statment from Gen Hillier
http://www.cjad.com/content/cp_article.asp?id=/global_feeds/CanadianPress/WorldNews/w030233A.htm

Sending prayers to the killed and injured's family and friends.
R.I.P. Soldier

The following is taken from one of the links in this thread.....what strikes me about this is the inference that the LAV3s are only suitable for North American standard of roads...thoughts?......."Lt. Mark MacIntyre said they will wait for the results of the investigation.

"We are driving on roads that aren't up to North American standards," he said. "

Gene

Some are called roads but are the width of a fruit cart....

Regards

As bad as I feel for the members and thier families...it really pisses me off.  Why do we keep losing good soldiers to ridiculous accidents like this.  Is it not a little bit embarrassing?  This is maybe the fourth incident within a year that something dumb like this has happened.  This sort of thing is really disturbing.  It's such a waste.

jwsteele,
Besides horrific timing to post that question......take a look at Canadian traffic deaths today, on real roads.

Shitty thing to hear about first thing in the morning. I hope for a fast recovery for the wounded and my prays are with the lost soldiers family. :salute: :cdn:

Gene

Don't look at it in the way that you apparently are.  We are talking about a very undeveloped country, that has been in various stages of war for a series of decades.  They do not have paved roads and the same infrastructure that a highly industrialized country like those in North America and Europe have.  You are reading too much into that comment.  Just realize that their road network is "very poor".

George,
I just want to be clear.....I'm fully aware of the road conditions in Afghanistan...I lived there in the early 70s ;D......but if you take the Lts comment at face value( which I don't) it can be read as basically saying that the LAV3s are only suitable for North American standard roads, which  would clearly be  absurd...my point being that it could be used to show the LAVs are not suitable equipment.
Cheers
Gene

George Wallace said:
Gene

Don't look at it in the way that you apparently are.  We are talking about a very undeveloped country, that has been in various stages of war for a series of decades.  They do not have paved roads and the same infrastructure that a highly industrialized country like those in North America and Europe have.  You are reading too much into that comment.  Just realize that their road network is "very poor".

+1, unless you have driven here it's hard to describe just how crazy it can be. I came very very close to rolling my SUV when a kid bolted out in front of me on J-bad road here in Kabul. Some of the "roads" make Canadian training area black-tracks look like brand-new 400 series highways... there is no order or reason or predictability whatsoever... children and animals play in heavy traffic, people abruptly change lanes or directions without any warning or checking if the way is clear beforehand, it's unlike anything I've ever seen before, and unfortunately accidents will happen...

RIP and a speedy recovery to the injured.

Back