• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leadership in the Cadet Snr NCO role

Originally posted by Disappointed9411:
[qb] 3 weeks!, are you allowed to write NSCE, thats suprising for being in only a short time [/qb]
It is and it isn‘t. I was a Sea Cadet CPO1 (CWO), so I passed (albeit, quite a while ago) the National PO1 Exam.

Most aspects of the exam are tri-service:

--> Drill (In order to teach)
--> IT (Classroom and Drill)
--> Leadership
--> Citizenship
--> PT
--> Knots (...yeah...don‘t know ANY of those, lol)

There are some aspects I‘ll have to learn from scratch, but as a whole, they weren‘t ready to knock me down to WO, but they couldn‘t have a MWO walking around without NSCE. Therefore, the solution was for me to just do the exam.

Do any of you guys get support in the form of NCOs from your sponsering army units?

I have worked with cadets as a rep for their affiliated unit for whichever unit I was posted to at the time.

Regards

BUMP
Seeing as a thread was now getting on the topic of leadership....how about using this one?

Regards

Excellent. I got some very good ideas here. I will be using the ones I think will work for my platoon. Most definitely.

My CSM seems to have a problem with my section commanders and 2IC taking initiative in front of the platoon. Obviously if I'm not there, or my 2IC, they go up. I'm impressed with their initiative. However, I get in big crap from my CSM for not being in front. He states "they can't call drill for crap" "he/she looks bad" and that I'm not doing my job properly because I'm not in front. He always wants me in front. Not my 2IC or section commanders. Just me. This really piss's me off. My personal goal for my subordinates in the platoon are to give them more leadership experience and responsibility with their sections/platoon on the parade square then I have ever had. So far, they do. My platoon commanders in the past, did not make room for me to flourish, and I know the effect. I don't want the same thing to happen to my sec cmdrs. But as far as things do go, my CSM will not allow me to broaden they're experience.
I could use some advice.

In my corps, The Snr NCO's are inspected for their dress and deportment. They are not allowed to inspect the rest of the cadets unless their uniforms are according to or exceeding the regulation. A problem we do have is that the younger cadets don't understand the concept of dicipline and respect towards their senoir cadets. This is not all of the cadets of course. just a few. They think that we should be theur friends and that because of the few year age difference, the think they don't have to listen to us and respect our authority.
Things have gotten better than what they were but they all still need more help.
Something else we do is we  have log books that record the specific dress of each cadet in out platoon, including our 2IC. It works better than the random telling them what's wrong. Now we will have it recorded.

Added to the FAQ ;D

Bassface said:
In my corps, The Snr NCO's are inspected for their dress and deportment. They are not allowed to inspect the rest of the cadets unless their uniforms are according to or exceeding the regulation. A problem we do have is that the younger cadets don't understand the concept of dicipline and respect towards their senoir cadets. This is not all of the cadets of course. just a few. They think that we should be theur friends and that because of the few year age difference, the think they don't have to listen to us and respect our authority.

This is a problem in my corps as well, given certain times. When I get in front of the group of green stars to teach a class, and I form them up, stand them at ease, the usual what-nots, most of them are waving, asking what we're going to be going over, when in all reality they should come to attention, raise their hands, and all that jazz.

It is important to remember, though, that they are young, and in small corps like mine, everyone knows everyone, and I believe it is the friendlieness in our corps that won us the Most Improved Army Cadet Corps in Nova Scotia this year past. While authority must be respected, good nature must not be ignored, but I definitely understand how it can tug at one's sleeve on occasion.

It's good to be close to members of your Corps, but one must remember to know when to take the buddy hat off and toss on a helmet and play Army!

Providing you're not like a lot of corps I have run into, and overabuse the game of Army.  ;)

Care to give some examples that you find went a bit "too much" and give some insight as to what you would change?

Regards

- Tearing cadets' heads off (the rank "cadet,") while formed up admist 5 other cadet corps for not standing at ease as sharp as the rest of the corps.

- Getting in a cadet's face (again, cadet rank) for not knowng the command, "Leading off from the right, Easy - March!"

- An RSM flipping off an entire corps for improperly shuffling over after a Master Corporal left ranks, and assigning them all to extras in our FTX

This is not what cadets is about in the slighest. I've seen power being abused far too much to ever give cadets a solid name.

So is that what you think the Army is like? Only the power trippers are like that, and that seems to be what you are talking about. They took discipline a little to far I think for Cadets, remembering Cadets are nostly kids. But I am sure some Corps are more strict than others. The Corps I work with is fairly strict, but yet we keep getting more and more new members and transfers. Just gotta play the game right, and people will respect you and take the job seriously. That's why they created the 10 principles of Leadership.

Sharpie said:
So is that what you think the Army is like? Only the power trippers are like that, and that seems to be what you are talking about. They took discipline a little to far I think for Cadets, remembering Cadets are nostly kids. But I am sure some Corps are more strict than others. The Corps I work with is fairly strict, but yet we keep getting more and more new members and transfers. Just gotta play the game right, and people will respect you and take the job seriously. That's why they created the 10 principles of Leadership.

Just pointing out the scary aspects of leadership gone wrong. Promotions based on merit and all that are truly wonderful, but sometimes, I truly wonder if cadets is too much based on "he was here longer than him" over, "he'd handle the promotion better than him."

Now, given due credit, a lot of promotions in the higher raks are given based on ability, not on age. When a promotion to such a high rank is not warranted (pardon the pun,) considerably, however, things do tend to go askew.

I have had recently observed what happens when a person receives a promotion simply due to the fact there was no one to fill the position except this one individual. It was not based on merit at all, but time in basicly. Not a good idea as this person was not capable of fulflling the newly given rank. So yes, it should be based on merit and qualifications, not on, we need to fill the hole!

Back