• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave during summer courses

AhmadChaar

Inactive
Reaction score
I am interested in joining the army reserves, specifically the Cameron Highlanders but I was wondering how the full time summer courses are. I have a couple questions. Are you able to return home on weekends? Are you able to return home for special one day events? I am committed to a few events that cannot be backed out of but I do not want these few commitments to hold me back from joining the reserve.

Thank you

AhmadChaar said:
I am interested in joining the army reserves, specifically the Cameron Highlanders but I was wondering how the full time summer courses are. I have a couple questions. Are you able to return home on weekends? Are you able to return home for special one day events? I am committed to a few events that cannot be backed out of but I do not want these few commitments to hold me back from joining the reserve.

Thank you

Mom dying on course, probably. Possibly RTU, depending on the timing and length.

Your tenants trashed your place and you need to go to court as part of their eviction, probably RTU after the court date gets set while you're on course.

You have an extracurricular activity that you find it necessary to go to during a course, your ops and trg cell probably doesn't nominate you in the first place. The school won't guarantee you any days off.

Weekend leave is possible but not to be expected.

Look into a weekend basic.

Are you talking about this summer or next summer?  If you are talking about this summer, I would not worry about it. If you have not started the application process yet, the chances of you getting in and being course loaded for anything this summer are next to nil.

AhmadChaar said:

Thank you

Ottawa Camerons or Winnipeg Camerons? From your name I'm guessing the former, and that you're not the first in your family in the unit, though of course I could be wrong.

On reserve summer courses weekends are typically off. If Ottawa, you'd find it quite the drive from Meaford back home, but it's been done. More likely, most weekends you'll have around base, catch up on sleep and rest, and probably spend an evening getting stupid in Owen Sound.

If you have a couple very specific events they'll be looked at on a case by case basis. Stuff like a graduation, etc is often feasible to do. But it'll depend on exactly what it is.

dangerboy said:
Are you talking about this summer or next summer?  If you are talking about this summer, I would not worry about it. If you have not started the application process yet, the chances of you getting in and being course loaded for anything this summer are next to nil.

I'm talking about next summer of course, I still have not started the application process yet. I plan to do that within the next few days

Brihard said:
Ottawa Camerons or Winnipeg Camerons? From your name I'm guessing the former, and that you're not the first in your family in the unit, though of course I could be wrong.

On reserve summer courses weekends are typically off. If Ottawa, you'd find it quite the drive from Meaford back home, but it's been done. More likely, most weekends you'll have around base, catch up on sleep and rest, and probably spend an evening getting stupid in Owen Sound.

If you have a couple very specific events they'll be looked at on a case by case basis. Stuff like a graduation, etc is often feasible to do. But it'll depend on exactly what it is.

Yes sorry I forgot to mention that I am talking about the Ottawa Camerons. But are most of the summer courses taken place in Maeford? That is about 7-8 hours away from where I live. Would events such as another's graduation be feasible?

AhmadChaar said:
Yes sorry I forgot to mention that I am talking about the Ottawa Camerons. But are most of the summer courses taken place in Maeford? That is about 7-8 hours away from where I live. Would events such as another's graduation be feasible?

Short Answer.. No.

As was stated above.. family member dies, legal commitments come up that were not forseen, you will be RTU'd (sent home). you will probably have to restart the course. if you want to see someones graduation they will just deny your request. the only exception i have personally seen was a student's request to attend their own graduation but the student had to move heaven and earth to make it happen. This was also a BMQ run in Cannought Ranges not sure if that happens anymore out of there. Go talk to a Recruiter there can give you the stright and narrow and figure out if the PRes is right for you.

aequitas said:
Short Answer.. No.

As was stated above.. family member dies, legal commitments come up that were not forseen, you will be RTU'd (sent home). you will probably have to restart the course. if you want to see someones graduation they will just deny your request. the only exception i have personally seen was a student's request to attend their own graduation but the student had to move heaven and earth to make it happen. This was also a BMQ run in Cannought Ranges not sure if that happens anymore out of there. Go talk to a Recruiter there can give you the stright and narrow and figure out if the PRes is right for you.

Alright I will contact them to figure out everything for sure. Thank you for your help.

Back