• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave of Absence to go to BMQ

Cbbmtt

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just wondering if any new recruits or any that have been here a while have gone on LOA from work for the 3 months while in BMQ and if you were approved or not. I've requested this for 3 months and have a meeting at 10am.

It's an unpaid amount of time from work for training. Reservists already get this by law, but what about the regular force? Anyone heard of anyone doing this? Obviously this is all speculation, however if I were to get very injured and discharged, not having a job to go to would take the food out of my sons mouth.

It would take a long time for you to get discharged due to injury. The only way you will be out quick is if you choose to be. The CAF will pay you while you recuperate.

If your employer gives you a leave so you can attend another full time occupation, on the off chance that you may leave and want your old job back, then they are truly a rarity.

I'll echo the last poster in saying that if your boss is willing to give you a LOA so that if the CF doesn't pan out, you have something to fall back on, then kudos to him.  Also, make sure they know that if you get injured at BMQ, your stay might well be longer than 3 months (take it from someone who spent 9 months at BMQ).

If your boss is really willing to do this whole LOA thing, I would just be up front with him/her and tell them your worries and fears.  If they are willing to hold a position for you in the event that something happens... well, you have your safety net.  But remember that when you go to BMQ, just because you have a safety net, it doesn't mean you shouldn't work that much harder than all those young kids who hopped off the bus with you.  I just had a buddy go home after a deployment, visit his mom and dad, and come back and VR because he had a safety net back home.

The way I figure it, if you're gonna do something, throw your hat over the fence.  Go in full out, and if you can't do it, at least you know you tried.  If you CAN do it, even the better.  Good luck to you, and I hope it all works out in the end, nomatter what you decide.

Cheers.

Rev

Question:

How do you expect to take LOA only for BMQ? What happens after BMQ and you're posted to the other end of the country for 3 years (+/-)?

RedcapCrusader said:
Question:

How do you expect to take LOA only for BMQ? What happens after BMQ and you're posted to the other end of the country for 3 years (+/-)?

From what I understand from his posts

He only wants a leave of absence for basic, because he is worried that if he gets broken on BMQ he will get kicked out the military and then be out of a job.

runormal said:
From what I understand from his posts

He only wants a leave of absence for basic, because he is worried that if he gets broken on BMQ he will get kicked out the military and then be out of a job.

I see.

I have a son, and I just wanted to make sure if I "Got Broken" :) that I would be able to still be paying his child support and day care without problem.

The employer came back stating that the Human Resources department stated that the risk is too high for them as I would still be receiving benefits during the LOA which would continue should I get injured. Example. Ripped muscle in quad and can't run any more ever. All the benefits from registered therapy and medical supplies, to long term disability would still apply to my company. Therefore it was declined.

They did not find the RCMP candidate who did get approved during training to be a risk. Seems the forces are a bit more dangerous. Oh well, I'm throwing my hat over and going to go all out ;)

Thanks guys.

Cbbmtt said:
I have a son, and I just wanted to make sure if I "Got Broken" :) that I would be able to still be paying his child support and day care without problem.

The employer came back stating that the Human Resources department stated that the risk is too high for them as I would still be receiving benefits during the LOA which would continue should I get injured. Example. Ripped muscle in quad and can't run any more ever. All the benefits from registered therapy and medical supplies, to long term disability would still apply to my company. Therefore it was declined.

They did not find the RCMP candidate who did get approved during training to be a risk. Seems the forces are a bit more dangerous. Oh well, I'm throwing my hat over and going to go all out ;)

Thanks guys.

But... You would be covered and cared for by the CF because they are your primary employer so it would not burden your civvy job. Oh well.

If I get discharged for an injury that would never heal they would not be covering my benefits any more.

RedcapCrusader said:
But... You would be covered and cared for by the CF because they are your primary employer so it would not burden your civvy job. Oh well.

Cbbmtt said:
If I get discharged for an injury that would never heal they would not be covering my benefits any more.
What kind of training do you think you are going to be doing at basic that you would get injured to the point that you will not heal?
The ripped muscle in your quad that you stated above WILL heal. You would be able to run again. I ripped mine in a ski accident years ago and it doesn't affect my running ability.
I went through in 2009, saw many people get injured in basic, and those with more serious injuries (that the military has decided should be released) are only getting released now, in the next 6 months or so. In the mean time they worked for the military doing all kinds of "untrained private" level jobs, while living at home. That's almost 5 years after the injury happened. Doubtful your civvy employer would hold your position for that long.

You eased my mind a bit. From all the videos I watched and threads I've read, I got the impression that if you were injured to the point where it could take a couple years to heal that you may be discharged.

If what you are saying is true, the Forces would still keep you on?

Cbbmtt said:
You eased my mind a bit. From all the videos I watched and threads I've read, I got the impression that if you were injured to the point where it could take a couple years to heal that you may be discharged.

On basic up, not sure what season it was. Some guy destroyed his knee and needed reconstructive surgery.. He still graduated they were just taking him out of the infantry. 

Theres no logical reason to go on LOA if you are going Reg Force.  You will be employed throughtout, and as many pers have stated here, if you get injured you will be taken care of.  The only reason you need a back up plan is if you are planning to quit.  My Opinion.

ajp said:
Theres no logical reason to go on LOA if you are going Reg Force.  You will be employed throughtout, and as many pers have stated here, if you get injured you will be taken care of.  The only reason you need a back up plan is if you are planning to quit.  My Opinion.

I'm all in, let's go!

Cbbmtt said:

The Forces would keep you on if the injury doesn't affect your Universality of Service. If you are injured to the point that you cannot be healed back to your "original" condition (prior to joining) then you will be released (after they try to heal you) or you may simply have to change trade.
If the injury can be healed and you get a green light from the M.O. (like a broken bone for example) you wouldn't be released.
If you are injured at basic, and you heal, you would just change platoons since your injury prevented you from doing all the activities needed for basic. You would be on the injured platoon (AWT) while you heal, or sent home to heal on "sick leave" if it would take longer than 90 days to heal.

Thank you. Let's all cross the fingers, toes, legs, arms, eyes and hairs that nothing bad happens. Again, I would like to thank all of you for easing my mind as I was a bit worried.

Buddy,

Take a deep breath, and worry about the things you CAN control...  like the standard of your ironing, or proper hospital corners...lol.

Relax, bud.  You will be fine.  All you need is the chance to shine, and you should have no problem meeting your challenges head-on.  Just remember that a platoon is only as strong as it's weakest member.  If you need help, ask.  If someone else needs help, offer.  It is not just an individual course, it is a team effort.

Good luck, and happy holidays!!

Rev

Back