• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Legal Branch 100

FJAG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
The Queen presented the Legal Branch with a Royal Banner today to celebrate the branch's 100 years.

'That's a very good answer!' Queen is impressed by Canadian officer deployed to Bahrain who tells her son, 3, she's away 'fighting pirates' during video call to celebrate 100 years of the Armed Force's Legal Branch​

• Queen presented the Canadian Armed Forces Legal Branch with a Royal Banner
  • Marks 100 years since the branch, consisting of 300 members, was established
  • Her Majesty, 95, joined a video call with members from the Legal Branch
By JESSICA GREEN FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 12:09 EDT, 25 June 2021 | UPDATED: 13:28 EDT, 25 June 2021

The Queen has presented the Canadian Armed Forces Legal Branch with a Royal Banner to mark 100 years since it was established.
Consisting of approximately 300 personnel, the branch provides legal advice and support to the Canadian Armed Forces and the Department of National Defence, both at home and overseas on deployment.
Her Majesty, 95, based at Windsor Castle, joined a video call with members from the Legal Branch - including a Canadian officer who revealed the only way to explain her overseas deployment to her young son was to tell him she was 'fighting pirates'.
The Queen, sporting a brooch gifted to her by the people of Canada in 2017, smiled as she replied: 'That's a very good answer because that's probably true, isn't it.' ...

🍻

Maybe there's not a lot of difference between lawyers and pirates.

And from the blog of a Vancouver law firm.

Legal Information from Pirates​

Legal-advice-from-Pirates-1.jpg

. . . It was clearly unusual for lawyers to dress as pirates and provide legal information from the deck of a ship. We like to think that we’ll start a trend. Perhaps in the years to come lawyers from all over will fire up their video camera and record some legal information from the perspective of a pirate. . . .

We had an exercise in Winnipeg and the Combat JAG - who looked more soldier like than some - briefed us on ROEs. According to our ROEs the local Naval Reserve could engage pirates on the Red River.

We had an exercise in Winnipeg and the Combat JAG - who looked more soldier like than some - briefed us on ROEs. According to our ROEs the local Naval Reserve could engage pirates on the Red River.
I thought that Saskatchewan was the only landlocked province that had concerns with pirates?

Maybe the lawyer who was permitted to send a retirement letter a day before he was disbarred for misconduct, instead of being billed for the Bar sending out a"He's been stricken from the list" letter with a copy of the findings to all his clients, to properly publicize his malfeasance?

The self-regulation of the legal profession seems designed to protect the practitioners, not the public.

(I'll say nothing of the retired officer who filled the position of the JAG and refused to perform his duties as mandated by statute and suffered no professional sanction - merely a symptom of the larger problems.)

Maybe the lawyer who was permitted to send a retirement letter a day before he was disbarred for misconduct, instead of being billed for the Bar sending out a"He's been stricken from the list" letter with a copy of the findings to all his clients, to properly publicize his malfeasance?

The self-regulation of the legal profession seems designed to protect the practitioners, not the public.

You're talking to a guy who spent seven years of the eight he was a bencher working on the complaints investigation and discipline committees of the LSM. I spent thousands of hours involved in that process as number of other lawyers. I know for an absolute fact that the whole system is designed solely to benefit the public. Let me simply put it this way, considering the number of billable hours we all gave up for free, you couldn't have afforded the folks necessary to run the system you want to have. The powers that the law societies have are what the government gave them. Even in the case you talk about, the lawyer has stopped practicing (which is the maximum punishment the law society has anyway) and there is a system in place to communicate that fact to the clients. If there was an out of pocket loss to the clients they still would have had recourse to the appropriate compensation or insurance funds.
(I'll say nothing of the retired officer who filled the position of the JAG and refused to perform his duties as mandated by statute and suffered no professional sanction - merely a symptom of the larger problems.)

I know the guy you are talking about and I've previously disagreed with you as to whether those late reports were sanctionable by the profession. I think you are also confusing "refused to do his duty" with "circumstances made timely reporting difficult". I presume that neither the CDS nor the minister made a complaint to the JAG's law society nor chastised him in any way. Without a complaint there is very little that a law society can get involved in. In fact in Manitoba the Provincial crown argued strenuously that we had no jurisdiction over their prosecutors in some additional cases over and above the clear immunity the prosecutors have from law society discipline when exercising prosecutorial discretion. One needs to distinguish as to whether the recipients of these reports (ie the government and parliament) are the clients or the bosses of the lawyer - they can be both. The latter have significant powers to correct issues without resorting to the law society complaint process. When I'm being cynical - which lately is every day - I have to say that I didn't know anyone read those damn reports anyway. They're dull ... dull .... dull ... dullllll.

🍻

• Humorous
Reactions: AKa
Back