• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Legal Pot for Canada (and the taxes from it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Wallace said:
So we should totally ignore the fact that scientific research has found that the human brain is still in a state of development into the early 20's, just because we have decided that a person legally becomes an "adult" at an earlier age?

So - I'm not really sure what your argument is here.  We have drawn arbitrary lines all over the place.  The legal age for alcohol is arbitrary.  After all, it's carcinogenic, and there is no safe level of it.  It causes many deaths.  The same is true of tobacco.  I would argue (as you seemed to argue otherwise in an earlier post) it matters very much the precedent created with those drugs.  I would also argue that marijuana is far more socially accepted than you understand. 

That seems like something that can/should be laid out in the lease.  It does not need to be spelled out in law

GAP said:
Landlord group wants stricter limits on where Canadians can grow marijuana
Cannabis Act would let people grow up to 4 plants at home
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/canada-legal-marijuana-growing-landlords-1.4071323
By Andrew Foote, CBC News Posted: Apr 15, 2017

Lots of landlords have had their investments ruined due to illegal production of cannabis, there's definitely concerns and it should be the landlord's choice if they want that sort of activity going on. Much the same as having pets or not or smoking. This is not like having a cactus in your house. House plants don't cause a stink, or have heat lamps or need to be processed. Four plants can also turn into more than four plants due to the additive nature of the drug as it is a narcotic.

The legalization should not trounce the rights of Canadians who do want to be exposed to it.

And TRYING to get back on theme....

Does legalization mean it would come off of medical status in the coverage sense?

Attachments

• legal.jpg
    legal.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 313
Bruce Monkhouse said:
And TRYING to get back on theme....

Does legalization mean it would come off of medical status in the coverage sense?

For serving members, wouldn't it just change from a prescription-only drug to an over-the-counter drug? Both types are provided by the system free of charge, if prescribed.

Ostrozac said:
For serving members, wouldn't it just change from a prescription-only drug to an over-the-counter drug? Both types are provided by the system free of charge, if prescribed.

Good point, but I suspect we will have regulations coming soon on all of that. I foresee not being allowed to use while in regardless of the circumstances.

Ostrozac said:

I forget 'you guys' get everything... ;D

I meant that some folks say 'it'll be like alcohol or tobacco', however I'm pretty sure neither of those can be prescribed.  [I did say 'pretty sure', not 100%]

the 48th regulator said:
And to what extent do house plants and Urban gardens get roped into this crazy concept.  Please, another attempt at prohibitionists trying to stall the rights of Canadians

dileas

tess

I can see a point on a Landlord having some say into what their tenants do inside their rental property.  Urban gardens, on the other hand, are not inside, so why would a Landlord have any say on plants outside?  (Although, I could not see anyone planting outdoors for fear of losing their plants.) 
Considering the size that one plant can grow to, it is not unreasonable for Landlords to have a major concern with the legal limit of four plants.
As MCG points out, it is something that has to be documented in the Lease.  Unfortunately, even with these restrictions in a Lease, in most places across Canada the tenants have more Rights than the Landlords, so it will be quite a court battle for the Landlord to evict a non-compliant tenant.

Plants will be limited to 1m height.  How many households have more than 4, 1 meter high non-canabis plants?

George Wallace said:
I can see a point on a Landlord having some say into what their tenants do inside their rental property.  Urban gardens, on the other hand, are not inside, so why would a Landlord have any say on plants outside?  (Although, I could not see anyone planting outdoors for fear of losing their plants.) 
Considering the size that one plant can grow to, it is not unreasonable for Landlords to have a major concern with the legal limit of four plants.
As MCG points out, it is something that has to be documented in the Lease.  Unfortunately, even with these restrictions in a Lease, in most places across Canada the tenants have more Rights than the Landlords, so it will be quite a court battle for the Landlord to evict a non-compliant tenant.

I would suspect in the legalization you would not be allowed to plant outdoors as it is a narcotic and could be stolen by under age youth or anyone else. As long as its put in the lease agreement, much like smoking or damage to the apartment grounds for eviction.

Chief Stoker said:
Lots of landlords have had their investments ruined due to illegal production of cannabis,

Caused by grow ops growing 10's to 100's of plants at the time.....not four 1 meter high plants.....bit of a red herring...........

Cheers
Larry

Chief Stoker said:
I would suspect in the legalization you would not be allowed to plant outdoors as it is a narcotic and could be stolen by under age youth or anyone else. As long as its put in the lease agreement, much like smoking or damage to the apartment grounds for eviction.

People are already allowed to grow medicinal plants out side.......I agree a community garden would not be a good choice......if my experience with community gardens and growing veggies are any indication of what happens to plants.....

Cheers
Larry

Larry Strong said:
People are already allowed to grow medicinal plants out side.......I agree a community garden would not be a good choice......if my experience with community gardens and growing veggies are any indication of what happens to plants.....

Cheers
Larry

Cool I didn't know that. I wonder that because its set to be more common place that would change? I can see a person who say has a basement apartment for rent, rents it out and finds some weed pants in the garden from the tenants having a problem if they have teenage kids. Legal or not I believe we have an obligation to keep it away from youth. Doing an comparison to alcohol (liquor), people are not allowed to distill yet we see no problem growing it in a dwelling.

..... as it is a narcotic .....
While this has been mentioned a few times, marijuana is not a narcotic; it is pharmacologically distinct from the family of opium derivatives and synthetic narcotics.  It may seem like a minor semantic point, but some folks still cling to that old-fashioned 'truth and accuracy' thing.

Carry on  :argue:

Journeyman said:
While this has been mentioned a few times, marijuana is not a narcotic; it is pharmacologically distinct from the family of opium derivatives and synthetic narcotics.  It may seem like a minor semantic point, but some folks still cling to that old-fashioned 'truth and accuracy' thing.

Carry on  :argue:

Definition of narcotic from Websters dictionary

a drug (as opium or morphine ) that in moderate doses dulls the senses, relieves pain, and induces profound sleep but in excessive doses causes stupor, coma, or convulsions

a drug (as marijuana or LSD ) subject to restriction similar to that of addictive narcotics whether physiologically (see physiological) addictive and narcotic or not

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/narcotic

That being said marijuana is sometimes lumped into narcotics. Regardless my point is that it certainly can affect you similar to a narcotic and it is habit forming to a certain extent.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I forget 'you guys' get everything... ;D

I meant that some folks say 'it'll be like alcohol or tobacco', however I'm pretty sure neither of those can be prescribed.  [I did say 'pretty sure', not 100%]

Don't know about tobacco, but alcohol can be prescribed.

recceguy said:
Don't know about tobacco, but alcohol can be prescribed.

Don't know what I got but I now know the cure......

Chief Stoker said:
Definition of narcotic from Websters dictionary
    a drug (as marijuana or LSD ) subject to restriction similar to that of addictive narcotics ....
Exactly.

I've generally found that when people misuse terms, it's because they either know no better or they're selling something.

I believe that wrongly calling marijuana a narcotic is just as detrimental to informed discussion as suggesting that any anti-legalization opinion is ban-worthy trolling. 

However, not my circus -- not my clowns.  Y'all enjoy your 'discussion.'  :salute:

And I'll continue to rely on CPS (Compendium of Pharmaceuticals and Specialties)  rather than Webster's  in certain cases.  ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back